Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 5d MkI v MkII

• 15-01-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Probably shouldnt start another 5d thread but...

I have a Canon 5d-mk1 and i am very happy with it. But, im also fixated with the new 5d-mk2. No matter how hard i fight it is becoming an object of desire. Albeit an expensive one.

The question to the boards is it worth upgrading - is there a noticeable difference?

Please, someone talk me out of it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Do you need it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭feileacan

probably not.

but theres a difference between needing and wanting.

but seriously, apart from the 12 v 21mp difference, is there a significant difference in technology between the two to warrant the upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Can you afford it? Why do you want it?

If you can't see a major reason to buy, then save your money and buy lenses.

affordability - probably, i would sell my 5d to part fund it and purchase from HK

i have all the lenses i boy could want (or carry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, if you think it'd be of benefit, go for it, personally, if your 5D is serving you well, I'd be holding on for the moment until you can get the 5D for even cheaper (imagine that!!! :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The better ISO performance is worth it alone.
    3" lcd high quality screen.
    Better battery life.
    HD video

If you don't believe me Gordon Laing never lies, :p

"The new EOS 5D Mark II may share essentially the same body and AF system as its predecessor, but almost everything else has changed. The sensor’s been boosted to 21.1 Megapixels, matching Canon’s flagship EOS 1Ds Mark III at a fraction of the price, the maximum sensitivity increased by three stops, continuous shooting accelerated from 3 to 3.9fps, the viewfinder coverage slightly broadened to 98%, and the screen greatly improved in size and detail to a 3in VGA model. There’s now also Live View, AF micro-adjustment, support for quick UDMA cards, an HDMI port, a new battery with accurate feedback and numerous processing tricks including Highlight Tone Priority, Auto Lighting Optimizer and Peripheral Illumination Correction. And oh yes, it’s also the first Canon DSLR to offer movie recording, and in nothing less than the 1080p format.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II"

I'd go for it if you have the money....
    Did I also mention the self auto cleaner for dust too? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sorry to sink your ship there AR, but the better battery life is due ot new batteries being used, which cost between 50 and 80 quid last time I checked. In that case you're paying for it..

Also You haven't shot above ISO 6400 for any real reason yet, have you? Apart from me telling you to that is :p ISO 3200 on the MkI is perfectly usable IMO. Hardly being left short handed on the ISO.. fair enough if you'll get use out of the extra 3 iso levels, but if not..

3" screen? well.. meh, really, I dont edit my shots on the camera screen so that matters as much to me as where my harry potter books from 2002 are.

HD video really is the only reason I could see if you needed it...but for an extra 1200€+, not something I'd jump at really!

thanks AnimalRights, i read (and watched) Gordon Laing's review.

im now seriously considering the upgrade.

anyone want to buy a 5d and battery grip?

how much should i ask?

I'd be interested in the grip...depending on price..

As for price? Used 5DmkI? I'd say 1000€, I got mine new for 1200€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

+1 AnimalRights, Testify!

I can't believe the high iso results either, lifesaver.

The 5dii has made another little bit of history, the official portrait of president elect Barack Obama just released is digital for the first time. Metadata may be of interest to portrait togs:
    Standard Fields -----------------------------------
             Image Creation Date: 2009:01:13 19:35:18
                            Make: Canon
                           Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
                Software Version: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
                    X Resolution: 300 Pixels/Inch
                    Y Resolution: 300 Pixels/Inch
               Image Description: Official portrait of President-elect Barack Obama on Jan. 13, 2009.

(Photo by Pete Souza)

EXIF Fields ---------------------------------------
              Image Capture Date: 2009:01:13 17:38:39
         Sub-Second Capture Time: 04
            Image Digitized Date: 2009:01:13 17:38:39
                   Exposure Bias: 0 EV
                    Focal Length: 105mm
                   Exposure Time: 1/125 Sec.
                        Aperture: f10
                Exif Image Width: 1916 pixels
               Exif Image Height: 2608 pixels
                Exposure Program: Manual Control
                ISO Speed Rating: 10 (100)
                   Metering Mode: Multi-Segment/Pattern
                    EXIF Version: 0221
                FlashPix Version: 0100
                           Flash: Flash Not Fired; Compulsory Flash Suppression; 
                      ColorSpace: Uncalibrated
         Component Configuration: YCbCr

• Advertisement

Sorry to sink your ship there AR, but the better battery life is due ot new batteries being used, which cost between 50 and 80 quid last time I checked. In that case you're paying for it..
    Was a thread on this veru issue...€46 in Gunn's.
    And re: new batteries yeah I never meant to say it was the exact battery just that battery life (when not using vid) was longer.[/QUOTE]
    Also You haven't shot above ISO 6400 for any real reason yet, have you? Apart from me telling you to that is :p ISO 3200 on the MkI is perfectly usable IMO. Hardly being left short handed on the ISO.. fair enough if you'll get use out of the extra 3 iso levels, but if not..
    You just never know in an emergency when you will need above 3200 IMO.
    Photos were my 1st attempt at such high isos...the yellow glow is from the yellow street lighting.
    36475331D616471FBED4193F84435866-800.jpg
    EA470EF107D94C3A8E6A9A61DAB846CC-800.jpg
    42D3A078283B4FA59CA0E4271E60B0C4-800.jpg
    8F3AB4A3DEE442AE943E6D657500F7E1-800.jpg
    4000 on an almost pitch dark canal
    807F95FBCA5E4898AF70B9CEB11B2C75-800.jpg

3200 shots are almost perfectly normal so point in upping them. :p
    3" screen? well.. meh, really, I dont edit my shots on the camera screen so that matters as much to me as where my harry potter books from 2002 are.
    This really is one of my favourite features and remember I came from the lower res 3" LCD screens.
    So your 2.5" is very meh. :p

The guy said he has the money if need be and I do believe that most people if they are mad into their hobby and have the money would go for the upgrade.
    The new cleaning anti dust system I find better than the 40Ds too, the 5D hasn't got one has it?

Was a thread on this veru issue...€46 in Gunn's.
    And re: new batteries yeah I never meant to say it was the exact battery just that battery life (when not using vid) was longer.

Yeah, but the extended battery life is due to the newer batteries which are capable of holding more charge. Moot point really..

I r getting confused now.
    The new battery obviously comes with the 5D II? :P
    Basically you are speaking about the xtra batteries required for the grip?
    I see no point in a grip at this time and moment.....although further down the line.

the grip on the 5d just makes the whole thing more balanced and comfortable, you take the grip and the camera feels very top heavy.

plus two batteries charge lasts for ages...

thanks for the advice.

cant believe the iso on the mk2 is upto 25600

why would you ever need it that high?

Because the opposition has it. (D700)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have the 5d mk1 and dont see any need to upgrade at all, I have said it before and I will say it again bodies come and go but good glass goes in the box with you when you depart the earthy world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hey AR

By the looks of those shots you put up that 5d II is junk...
    You should sell it to me at a massive loss!

Looks like itll be March before I can order once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I r getting confused now.
    The new battery obviously comes with the 5D II? :P
    Basically you are speaking about the xtra batteries required for the grip?
    I see no point in a grip at this time and moment.....although further down the line.
    I was thinking about the grip (bg-e6) too but it occurred to me that I'd get three batteries (lp-e6) plus change for the same price as the grip without the extra battery.

The extra shutter release in portrait is no big loss and anything I shoot hasn't made battery swaps an intolerable issue, while the lower bulk and weight is welcome.

Frankly I believe grips among other accessories are an apalling rip-off, even the battery magazine BGM-E6 if you have to replace it will set you back around €30, where €3 would better reflect production costs plus margins.

One question remaining about the new lp-e6 batteries - will it be possible to buy 3rd party versions or is the new circuitry intended to prevent just that I wonder (like printers that require own brand ink cartridges)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If I had the money, I would go for the MkII. ISO and video. I know, but I would do more with the camera. Still, I don't have time to walk it outside so far...

Advertisement