Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottle Recycling - Different Colours...

• 15-01-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

OK, I've been having a debate with somebody at work and I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

Basically I'm saying that even though we have different colour bottle banks (clear, brown, green) that essentially it doesn't matter what colour bottle you puit into the bank as it all ends up getting crushed and ground down to near dust, then super heated to a liquid and made into glass again. Colour doesn't matter.

He however is saying that once you upset the apple cart by putting a green in a brown or brown in a clear banks that all that the glass in that bank is now only good to be ground down on used on the roads.

I think he's wrong?

Does anybody else know what the story is. I've often but brown in clear or whatever if one of them is full...

DG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

In most continental countries where bottles are crushed colour doesn't matter - everything goes into the same container. The only requirement is that they are rinsed out before being recycled - so one doesn't have wasps and other insects waiting to attack recyclers in the Summer!

In Germany, bottles are generally recycled without breaking them. The consumer brings them (eg beer bottles) back to a shop and puts them in a recycling machine which returns the deposit paid on the bottle. The machine stacks them in the returnable plastic containers used to deliver the original product to the shop. That requires a ban on cans of beer, a law mandating deposits to be charged at point of sale and the recycling machine to return the deposit. However it saves the large amount of energy consumed in making a glass bottle, because the bottle is just washed and relabelled. It also implies compliance with standards in the industry in terms of bottle shape and size, and works best where people buy locally produced goods - a very alien concept in unsustainably structured Ireland :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

actually come to think of it, yeah why is that? have always been told that if you put a brown bottle in with green bottles it'll contaminate the whole lot... have a whole lecture on recycling which includes glass recycling but i can't see any reason mentioned for the segregation - shows how useless college really is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In a previous life I was involved in the scrap business and also dabbled with glass recycling as it was, then, worth more per ton than scrap iron but the strict segregation of glass by colour demanded by the end user was too difficult to comply with. So unless things have changed since then I think that the cross contamination at bottle banks may well mean that much of our so called 'recycled' glass ends up in landfills!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Also, thinking about it, when you go to bottle banks, there is no major warning about cross contamination, just a couple of bottle banks with different colour labels? If they are that strict about it and recycling then they should put up big signs stating the consequences if the wrong bottles are put into the wrong bins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The last time i saw a truck emptying the glass banks it lifted the three different colour banks to exactly the same place over the back of it before emptying them so i presume they were all just mixed up anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doesn't a lot of our glass end up as road fill since Ringsend shut down? It could never have been considered green to ship tonnes of sand(glass) out of the the country for recycling. And isn't a lot also used to make insulation, or is that made out of the country also?

I do rememeber many years ago when I was younger that we where taught not to cross contaminate the glass as it was just dumped if you did.

Advertisement