Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Clamper thread!

Options
  • 15-01-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Just want to know if anyone knows what the legality / safety of clamping a vehicle carrying combustible gases. What happens if there is a fire and the fire brigade needs to move the clamped vehicle to prevent an explosion? Can clampers clamp the vehicle if it is displaying the correct signage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If the driver of said vehicle cant read signs that tell them when not to park I cant see why the clampers should have to.

Havent seen any refernce to them beign exempt from clamping. Would have thought if they were then they would be exempt from the parkign law in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

yeah i would hope anyone who has put their trust in someone who carries something like that has the cop on to be safe about it. though i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Interesting though, can an ambulance be clamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Either way, I'm sure if a fire was threatenign it the FB could shift it. It would probably take longer to smash the window to lower the handbrake than to take the clamp off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Interesting though, can an ambulance be clamped?

physically or legally?
    I know daa or Aer rianta clamped an ambulance in Dublin Airport before for parking in the set down area whle waiting for a patient

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

physically or legally?
    I know daa or Aer rianta clamped an ambulance in Dublin Airport before for parking in the set down area whle waiting for a patient

That's a different scenario because it wasn't an emergency ambulance it was just a patient transfer... the driver of the ambulance had parked in the ambulance bay and went into get something to eat if my memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

That's a different scenario because it wasn't an emergency ambulance it was just a patient transfer... the driver of the ambulance had parked in the ambulance bay and went into get something to eat if my memory serves me correctly.

Plus the DAA Area is private property not public so the DAA can clamp anything parked there not in accordance with byelaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You cannot be ticket for example if the signage is more than XX amount of mtrs from where your space is.

Parkway shopping centre in Limerick tried to clamp cars before Christmas and they were sued because they did not even have one sign.

I remember that ambulance story. A cop car in Limerick was clamped on Little Gerald Griffin Street for parking on a double yellow line on part of a private complex. They had to pay the guy. I was peering out of my apt window watching it all going on whilst some of the local scumbags were rolling around the place laughing their heads off. Saturday morning of the market, the clampers and ticketers have a field day.

Off topic a bit:

My friends 08 Passat was being taken onto the back of a loader in Enniskillen yesterday due to a complete and utter failure of the entire electrical system. Nice :D I was varying what I was telling passers by because we were dragging the car backwards out of a space up a hill. It was shuddering like a ****ting dog.

I told some people it was because he did not buy a long enough ticket for the car park. Some actual went back and bought a longer ticket. I told some it was a bank repo and maybe only one the truth. I was bored. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Anyone remember the clamper in Galway who clamped a car outside of a GPs surgery. The owner came running out with his child in his arms to urgently go the hospital but the clamper refused to move it until the fine was paid. The doctor even tried persuading him but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BarryC wrote: »
    Just want to know if anyone knows what the legality / safety of clamping a vehicle carrying combustible gases. What happens if there is a fire and the fire brigade needs to move the clamped vehicle to prevent an explosion? Can clampers clamp the vehicle if it is displaying the correct signage?

AFAIK the fire brigade clear the area not the danger. Buildings and cars can be replaced/repaired, people can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

TheNog wrote: »
    Anyone remember the clamper in Galway who clamped a car outside of a GPs surgery. The owner came running out with his child in his arms to urgently go the hospital but the clamper refused to move it until the fine was paid. The doctor even tried persuading him but no joy.

Yup the cops where called in that case, cop came down told the clamper to release and he refused. The cop actually paid the fine to get it released. This was one of the big incidents that really set Galway people against the clamping company at the time. Of course a couple of weeks later there was a picture in the paper of a clampers van parked:

a) Half on a foot path
    b) On a double yellow
    c) Facing down the wrong way on a one way St.

I honestly kid you not. Also at the time I think clamping was costing the cc not creating revenue.

Only way you will get the clampers to release you in Galway is being a member of the city or county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK the fire brigade clear the area not the danger.

But the vehicle carrying the (explosive) gases would be the danger in that case, no:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

My personal opinion is that clamping is extortion. Also in my opinion, the only way to deal with clamping is to remove the clamp yourself.

Since I started the clamper thread before christmas for my friends car, I was clamped myself (again not breaking the signposted rules!)

An batterry alternater and angle grinder would have been an awful lot quicker but I opted for the more traditional (penny pinching!) hacksaw method! It did took an hour to get the bastard off! (had to take the wheel off and use it as a prop to get an angle for the hacksaw!)

The security guard for the area came over and told me I would be fined, get this, FIVE THOUSAND euro! So he got told to f**k off! He also said he would ring the guards (who didnt come within the half hour that I was still getting it off!)

Havent heard a peep from the Guards, Clampers or Security firm since!
    Anyone else beaten the clampers?

Also just wondering if "the nog" has an opinion, proffesional or otherwise on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

My personal opinion is that clamping is extortion. Also in my opinion, the only way to deal with clamping is to remove the clamp yourself.

100% Agreed

The security guard for the area came over and told me I would be fined, get this, FIVE THOUSAND euro! So he got told to f**k off! He also said he would ring the guards (who didnt come within the half hour that I was still getting it off!)

what is it with security, they think they are all f*ckin gardai

Fair balls to you, we should all do it. Is it criminal damage or could you argue that they have no rights to touch your vehicle. Can they prove they clamped you (a la monty python),

clamper: wheres the clamp

you: what clamp, no clamp here

I use to work around Baggot st. and they are always driving around in that van. Why are they allowed to park illegally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I use to work around Baggot st. and they are always driving around in that van. Why are they allowed to park illegally?

Irish Times had an article on the mysterious trail of where clamping money actually goes.. it went dark and hazy very quickly..

They mentioned Baggot Street and Merrion Square (Dublin), amazing amount of revenue from those two locations alone. I think at the time the company involved had a van or two stalking Merrion Square alone, it was 'worth it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

100% Agreed

They are not allow to park illegally but they are hardly gonna clamp themselves are they

But the vehicle carrying the (explosive) gases would be the danger in that case, no:confused:

Yes the vehicle on fire with the expolive gases is the danger. That's why they clear the area around it and not try to move the vehicle. They've no idea how the cylinder is stored so they ain't going to send 2 or more people to move/hook up a burning vehicle to save a building. They move all the people out of the building and pump water till they are certin that it won't explode, which can be a very long time.

100% Agreed

what is it with security, they think they are all f*ckin gardai

Fair balls to you, we should all do it. Is it criminal damage or could you argue that they have no rights to touch your vehicle. Can they prove they clamped you (a la monty python),

clamper: wheres the clamp

you: what clamp, no clamp here

Be carefull here. The person you quoted was removing a Private clamp from their car parked on Private property, where the law is vauge to say the least. The vans cruising around Baggot St are Dublin Corpo authorized and it's a criminal offence to interfer with these clamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Since I started the clamper thread before christmas for my friends car, I was clamped myself (again not breaking the signposted rules!)

An batterry alternater and angle grinder would have been an awful lot quicker but I opted for the more traditional (penny pinching!) hacksaw method! It did took an hour to get the bastard off! (had to take the wheel off and use it as a prop to get an angle for the hacksaw!)

Havent heard a peep from the Guards, Clampers or Security firm since!
    Anyone else beaten the clampers?

Also just wondering if "the nog" has an opinion, proffesional or otherwise on this?

I have never been clamped but did have my g/f's car towed years ago. She still gives me grief over it.

In my opinion there should be no clamping at all. Instead cars should be towed away but only those that cause a hinderance to traffic flow.

As for what you did well I dont agree with it. You could have been done for criminal damage. Luckily you got away with it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes the vehicle on fire with the expolive gases is the danger. That's why they clear the area around it and not try to move the vehicle. They've no idea how the cylinder is stored so they ain't going to send 2 or more people to move/hook up a burning vehicle to save a building. They move all the people out of the building and pump water till they are certin that it won't explode, which can be a very long time.

I think we're crossing wires here. I'm referring to if the building beside the clamped Boc Gas Truck was on fire then what would they do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think we're crossing wires here. I'm referring to if the building beside the clamped Boc Gas Truck was on fire then what would they do with it?

I'd say the fire brigade would have it off pretty quick, they've plenty of toys capable of the job. I certainly hope they're allowed to do what's necessary to protect lives.

If you're parked on private property I wonder would you be clamped if you had a sticker on your car warning that anyone who clamps your car gives consent to your removing it by any means, that they agree to pay you damages for time, hassle, etc but that they can't sue you for anything.

Basically loads of consequences for them, none for you.
    Granted it would have to be a big sticker with loads of legal mumbo jumbo to cover your ar$e.

I'm not asking for or providing legal advice, i'm only asking if a sticker would be a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Emergency vehicles cannot be clamped, if someone does decide to for some random unknown stupid reason, they will be cut off by the fire brigade, the council informed of the wrongdoings and the gardai also

Got you now. Fire engines have loads and loads of cutting tools, I'd say the least of there worries is the lock on a clamp. The tonnes of parked truck would be more of an issue, but they'd just drag it clear with winches or a fire engine while keeping it soaked with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

kayos wrote: »
    They are not allow to park illegally but they are hardly gonna clamp themselves are they

So, they are not allowed to park illegally, which means they are breaking the law when they clamp someone.

I do not understand how clamping a vehicle because it is illegally parked or causing an obstruction makes any difference or helps traffic flow.

Surley it costs enough if you get a parking ticket.

I have seen the DCC clampers on the square following Traffic Wardens and clamping vehicles within 5 minutes of a ticket been issued.

What is the law on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

A friend of mine was clamped, he was in the wrong, tried to argue it and failed, he arrived just as he had finished putting on the clamp.

He went over to the claimpers van to pay it and when he did the clamper handed him the "so not park here ect ect ect" sticker that leaves a right mess when ur trying to take it off, as he didnt have time to put it ont he window

When the clamper went to take the clamp off he left the sticker smack bang in the middle of the clampers windscreen.

Went over when clampless and drove off.

Says it was "nearly" worth paying the fine with the thought of the clamper wasting his time trying to take the sticker off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

kayos wrote: »
    Yup the cops where called in that case, cop came down told the clamper to release and he refused. The cop actually paid the fine to get it released. This was one of the big incidents that really set Galway people against the clamping company at the time. Of course a couple of weeks later there was a picture in the paper of a clampers van parked:

a) Half on a foot path
    b) On a double yellow
    c) Facing down the wrong way on a one way St.

I honestly kid you not. Also at the time I think clamping was costing the cc not creating revenue.

Only way you will get the clampers to release you in Galway is being a member of the city or county council.

wow those guys really are the scum of the earth

angle grinder ftw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Clamping in my estate has been an on going problem, the clamper seems to think its ok to clamp the residents. They only reason there is clamping in operation is to stop the staff of a near by school parking here. So after arriving home from work last Friday with my boyfriend we were greeted with the clamper taken pictures of my boyfriends car. I had the permit in my car drove to work totally forgetting to put it in his car! So we explained to the clamper who knows both our cars belong to residents that I had simply forgot his reply "Call number and pay". So after €120 down the drain we decided to try get the money back as we were in fact parked out side our own house in a space. So coming home Monday evening I am in my boyfriends car pull up to my apartment and my car was clamped, with my permit in the dash!! Rand NCPS to ask can they send someone out to remove it, I was on hold for so long my credit went! I rang again today explained 'my permit is valid and on display can you please have the clamp removed?' Answer 'No we have photos that shows you had no permit on display' I replied 'Can you please mail me these photos?' All you could hear in the back round was people laughing!!!They only way I can get the pictures is if I pay first then contest it!! OH yeah they don't tell you its €120 a day so my bill is now €240. I am refusing to pay and am planning to remove the clampat the weekend. Anyone have advices on what they can do to me once I remove clamp?

ca3nie wrote: »
    Anyone have advices on what they can do to me once I remove clamp?

Hold onto it but post the lock back to the company demanding a ransom or you will cut the rest up:D

TheNog wrote: »

Yeah remember I remember it alright. There was uproar in Galway after that.

To be honest with all this clamping going on I would be tempted to take a spin into town in our tractor and park it up with no ticket, then watch from a distance as the clamper's can do nothing!! Clamp that ye shower of ......!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just tell them it's illegal for them to retain your car.

Advertisement