Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Clamper thread!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

ca3nie wrote: »
    no luck getting it of saturday took the wheel of and the chain was through the axle, so waiting on an angle grinder just hope the dont tow before i can get my hands on one!

Is it an NCPS one like the one in my pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The bolt cutter wont go through the chain, its hardened steel, It will go through the lead tube at the rim of the clamp though!

The best way for this type of clamp is to go through the softer yellow metal with an angle grinder or in my case, hacksaw!

See the pic I posted on the 3rd page of this thread!

Would a Hyraulic Cutter get through those chains?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/HYDRAULIC-HANDY-LIGHTWEIGHT-Rebar-Steel-rod-Cutter_W0QQitemZ150323455913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Construction_Tools_ET?hash=item150323455913&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Maybe an industrial Hyraulic Cutter would get through it, but that one on e-bay, not a chance.

When My friend got clamped we had some industial bolt cutters (still manual) but the steel on the chain was so tough that the blade on the bolt cutters shattered before there was a scratch on the chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just saw your pic lol :P

stealth speeder how long did it take to hack through the clamps soft metal and was it hard to pull back through the wishbone

It took me about an hour with a rather blunt hacksaw in total but I spent 40 mins of that trying to cut it without takin off the wheel! (you get a much better angle when you take off the wheel and use it as a prop!)

I near soiled my self at the end when i fed the bottom corner through the axel and it didnt fit! a small twist and a little manouvering got it through with no damage though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

A bit expensive, but I'm guessing that this would be perfect for cutting through the chain:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MAKITA-BGA452RFE-18-VOLT-115MM-CORDLESS-ANGLE-GRINDER_W0QQitemZ190273385492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item190273385492&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

It's portable too.:D

stealthyspeeder: is it possible to just work your way through the yellow triangle using only the manual bolt cutters?

Surely if the bolt cutters is able to cut the outside edge of the triangle it should be able to keep on cutting? Or was it a case that the hacksaw was easier and quicker to use once you got passed the outside edge of the yellow triangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I took it as a souvenier!

Hahaha. Legend :D :cool:

A bit expensive, but I'm guessing that this would be perfect for cutting through the chain:

stealthyspeeder: is it possible to just work your way through the yellow triangle using only the manual bolt cutters?

Surely if the bolt cutters is able to cut the outside edge of the triangle it should be able to keep on cutting? Or was it a case that the hacksaw was easier and quicker to use once you got passed the outside edge of the yellow triangle?

I tried using just the bolt cutters, but the yellow sheet was too thin as my bolt cutters had a space of about a mm when fully shut. (i suppose if your bolt cutter are good enough, its possible!). You got it just right about the hacksaw, the hardest part is finding an angle but when you get a rythem going it goes through the clamp like a hot knife through butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I tried using just the bolt cutters, but the yellow sheet was too thin as my bolt cutters had a space of about a mm when fully shut. (i suppose if your bolt cutter are good enough, its possible!). You got it just right about the hacksaw, the hardest part is finding an angle but when you get a rythem going it goes through the clamp like a hot knife through butter!

Thanks- I must buy a decent bolt cutters to be forearmed!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭blanco

Would drilling out the lock itself work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Hey go my car back, cut the chain with an angle grinder!!
    Just dreading bumping into one for the clampers when im driving around!

Advertisement