Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hanging curtain pole

Options
  • 15-01-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

hi,

how far above window or below coving should you hang a pole? curtains will have eyelets, should that make any dif.

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

it depends on the size of the window and the drop of the curtains. It they are full length curtains then they should hang about 3 to 6 inches off the floor and this then would give you the height above the window that the pole is required. If they are standard drop then the bottom of the curtain should not matter but the curtain should be at least 6 to 10 inches above the window line therefore your pole would center at about 6 to 8 inches above the window line but make sure the curtain has the drop to be at least 6 inches bellow the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

thanks. gettingf curtains made and they will be full length but i heard that it's better to measure for curtains when pole is up so i'll go with 6-8 above window - thanks:)

do the brackets go in line with the edge of the window? for a stupid reason i'm not 100% i think the poles should extend about 9" beyond edge of window....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Usually poles should be 4" - 6" from either side of your window, so total pole should be between 8" and 12" longer than the width of your window. I'd leave the brackets halfway between the edge of the window and the end of the pole (NOT the end of the finial(thats the fancy end)).

Hope that helps!

thanks a lot for that - here goes another debut DIY adventure...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dont forget to mark your bracket holes with a pencil .

Makes screwing the drill holes easier .

And dont forget your screw plugs either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

if you go 9" bellow window it can then get caught up on under window rad and pick up dirt as well as divert heat out the window, thats why in most cases a rad is about 8" to 9" bellow window sills. The advice on the left and right is bang on as well as marking the brackets but make sure you use a spirit level for marking the hights of the brackets. Decide on one side then level over to the other don't make the mistake of measuring each side from ground up or ceiling down as the descrepancy that I have seen can be as much as 0.5" to 1" and can leave the pole looking like an eyesore.

hey, just to complicate matters, i measured my window to find that it is not centred! there are 33cm to the wall on one side and 30cm to wall on t'other side - cowboys, Ted!!

so how do i measure my pole either side of window?? do i go on the basis that the window is centred thus, when curtains are up, nobody will notice the window (ie u wouldn't see where window ends), whereas u'd more likely notice the pole?? (says yer one who never copped the window before now :confused:

cheers

Advertisement