Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Eircom from BT

Options
  • 15-01-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

HI lads
    currently i am BT customer with the broadband option 3
    i am only getting 3072/384 though ( far away from exchange )
    line stat:
    attenuation downstream: 40 db
    noise margin downstream: 27 db
    had a nice chat with BT -- THEY said:
    1) my exchange has been upgraded
    2 )my line is too bad to get any faster speeds
    3)anyway, they've also said , if i'll switch to broadband option 2 ,i only be getting 2048/256
    WTF?
    after that , i had long conversation with EIRCOM sales person,
    bottom line:
    he said , that eircom can only give me 1024/124 (line is too bad )
    well, it was a surprise for me , how can i have 3 mbit with BT for 2 years already? connection is stable day or night , always getting 340-350 KB/s download speed from rapidshare
    any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

alec76 wrote: »
    HI lads
    currently i am BT customer with the broadband option 3
    i am only getting 3072/384 though ( far away from exchange )
    line stat:
    attenuation downstream: 40 db
    noise margin downstream: 27 db
    had a nice chat with BT -- THEY said:
    1) my exchange has been upgraded
    2 )my line is too bad to get any faster speeds
    3)anyway, they've also said , if i'll switch to broadband option 2 ,i only be getting 2048/256
    WTF?
    after that , i had long conversation with EIRCOM sales person,
    bottom line:
    he said , that eircom can only give me 1024/124 (line is too bad )
    well, it was a surprise for me , how can i have 3 mbit with BT for 2 years already? connection is stable day or night , always getting 340-350 KB/s download speed from rapidshare
    any thoughts?

What were you on previously to 3MB? Im confused ( Before the "upgrade" )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

yep , 3 megabit since 2006

Can you post a ping plot to www.boards.ie to determine if your on the high interleaving settings of the upgrade?

Start->Run->Type "cmd"

Then type

ping www.boards.ie

and post the results back here? Thanks

pings went crazy from the last august
    it is 50-52 ms to BT gateway , same to boards.ie
    it used to be 16-18 ms to gateway or DNS server
    anyway , it is never affect my speed though

yup deffo seems like they slapped the high interleaving onto your line then hoped for the best

i would call them again because paying extra for a 3MB line is totally wrong and make sure you get them to lower your interleaving again

be persistent and if all else fails lodge an official complaint with them over the phone

What there saying is ridiculous

• Advertisement

well, it wasn't easy to communicate with them at the first time ,i have doubts that they actualy know, what interleaving stands for
    or maybe, i am just unlucky ? anyhow ,everytime i've rang them(technical support or customer care)- it is always some fella who barely speak english , don't mind technical related questions
    WHERE can i get an email address or phone number to any Reasonable BT person?

ask for a manager or go directly to there customer complaint line, try there website

thanx m8, i'll give a try
    although its kinda strange , how come eircom won't get me more then 1 mbit ? i thought eircom is the owner of all exchages and landlines? if bt (reseller ) can do that , it shouldn't be a problem for eircom IMHO.
    To be honest ,eircom fella told me that my line only capable of 1 megabyte/sec ( which is roughly 7.6 mb/s AFAIK ) :D:D
    1 MB/s= 8 mb/s isn't it?

alec76 wrote: »
    thanx m8, i'll give a try
    although its kinda strange , how come eircom won't get me more then 1 mbit ? i thought eircom is the owner of all exchages and landlines? if bt (reseller ) can do that , it shouldn't be a problem for eircom IMHO.
    To be honest ,eircom fella told me that my line only capable of 1 megabyte/sec ( which is roughly 7.6 mb/s AFAIK ) :D:D
    1 MB/s= 8 mb/s isn't it?

No mate. There technology is rate adaptive, meaning if you live far away from your exchange(the place where your line is plugged in to connect you to the internet) your not going to get top speeds.

If you live next door to the exchange you would be able to recieve the full whack.

Eircom are talking bollox , if BT can do it and your downloading at syncing at 3MB then you can get 3MB with any of the DSL providers, they just resell eircoms DSL so basically what you have at the moment is Eircom Broadband with a BT tag slapped onto it.

1MB Connection will give you roughly 100kbps download speeds. So it takes 10 seconds to download 1mb file in other words!

1MB Connection will give you roughly 100kbps download speeds
    hm.. i always thought
    1MB/s= 1 megabyte per second
    1mb/s= 1 megabit per second
    1mb/s= 1000 kbps= 122 KB/s
    1MB/s= 8mb/s=8000 kbps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

nuxxx wrote: »
    1MB Connection will give you roughly 100kbps download speeds. So it takes 10 seconds to download 1mb file in other words!

You've got your Bs all mixed up there. 1Mbps (mega bit) is approx 120kBps (kilo Byte). This is generally speaking. I'm not sure if there is an actual accepted international standard for specifying bits and Bytes, though it does makes sense for the smaller one to be little b, and the bigger one to be big B.

Also, it should always be capital M, as lower case m means mili. If someone says they have 1mb, you can pretty much take it that they don't mean 1 mili-bit per second, but just to be pedantic, there it is. It should also be a lower case k, for kilo. Capital K, is a unit of temperature measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where are you located?

Farranfore exchange (kerry)

hi, some updates here
    i've ordered line downgrade( to option 2) month ago, well, as they said -- i've got only 2048/256 along with the high inerleaving :mad:
    called them good few times , asking to fix that issue-- no,no use . my line is only capable of 2 meg, that's all(although it was good enough while i paid for option3 :mad:
    as for the high interleaving -- it is not possible set it to lower setting aswell:mad:

on the 3rd of march FINALY decided switch to EIRCOM ( had to wait 25 days though to became customer)
    i found out that i am already within EIRCOM network ( according to WAN IP and tracert) 10 days ago .still 2048/256 , high interleaving though
    rang EIRCOM-- no, no customer yet , nothing we can help u with :mad:
    ANYHOW , had conversation 20 min long today with eircom tech support - few angry words by me at the start, but at the end i've got my 3072/384 back :D:D:
    and low interleaving :D:D:D:D:
    pings to boards.ie -- 15-19 ms :D:D:D

ready for the next step now- will try to get 7 mb/sec package
    i am pretty sure my line can hit 4 ( up to 5 mb/sec with the good modem )
    i had 34-35 db SNR with 2 mb/sec
    26-27 db SNR at the moment with 3 mb/sec
    (current set up : zyxel 660 ru(1-1483 mode) bridged with linksys wrt 54gl , dd-wrt)
    p.s damm BT btw - such a shower of bastards :mad:

Advertisement