Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test issue

Options
  • 15-01-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I got a letter at the end of last week with my test date, which is in approx 2 weeks. Anyhow, the immobiliser in my car is not working, which means that the red immobiliser light on the dash board of my car is permanently on.

I have brought the car to a mechanic who has said that it would cost a couple of hundred euro to get it fixed as it needs to be run through their computer system, which is 80 quid an hour, and that doesn't include actually fixing the problem, just diagnosing what exactly is wrong with the immobiliser.

So I'm just making sure that I'm correct in my assumption that I should now go find a new car to sit my test in?

I can't afford the money to get the immobiliser fixed and afford lessons to help pass the test. It's one or the other.

There is no way that the test center would accept a letter from the mechanic stating that the car was perfectly road worthy and that the light indicates only that the immobiliser does not work?

I'm clutching at straws here, I'm in the middle of final year exams and the stress is starting to pile up....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Thought so, ugh, well here's hoping I can organise one. Stupid car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Why not check the fuse map and just "turn it off" for the test? It should only be one fuse controlling that light so shouldn't be too hard to knock off for the 40ish minutes of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

+1 on the fuse idea. And IMO, €80 for Diagonostics is off the wall. Interesting though how the car is starting if the immobiliser has a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'm assuming the car is starting and driveable. If so I don't see a problem. It's an anti-theft device, not a safety feature.

What sort of red light is it? If it's just a little tiny LED, the tester will hardly notice it.
    If it's a light in your console, in the unlikely event of the tester even commenting on it, say it's supposed to be on.

As for going at the fuses, you risk disabling other systems, as I doubt the immobiliser has a fuse of it's own.

Maybe ask this question over on the motors forum, there's a lot of mechanics over there who can probably tell you exactly what the problem is if you say the make of car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Buffman wrote: »

What sort of red light is it? If it's just a little tiny LED, the tester will hardly notice it.
    If it's a light in your console, in the unlikely event of the tester even commenting on it, say it's supposed to be on.

As an ex-tester I can assure you that the 1st thing a tester looks for when the engine is started is a warning light on the dash. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a red light you don't take the car out. An amber light is at the testers discretion, but if it's an air bag light or fuel low warning light, you head back into the office and give them a Non-Conducted form

brian076 wrote: »
    As an ex-tester I can assure you that the 1st thing a tester looks for when the engine is started is a warning light on the dash. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a red light you don't take the car out. An amber light is at the testers discretion, but if it's an air bag light or fuel low warning light, you head back into the office and give them a Non-Conducted form

What about this immobiliser though, tester's discretion I suppose?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

If it's a red light you don't conduct the test, and if it's at an RSA test centre the chances are you won't be taken out no matter what colour the light is

The mechanic that I got the car from said that the light appeared when he disconnected and re-connected the battery. Thanks for all the advice.

The light is red. It flashes on and off at all times, even when the key isn't in the ignition.

I think I'm just going to try and find a different car to do my test in. I'm home tomorrow to start preparing for the test so I will start looking then.

I think I'm just going to try and find a different car to do my test in.

Sound's like that's the option. Either that or get your mechanic to remove the light bulb from the dash. This would be the cheapest solution I'd imagine.

Anyway, good luck with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Booked my test last night. How long are the waiting times these days lads? (Sorry if I hijacked this thread, just we're talking about tests right now).

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Booked my test last night. How long are the waiting times these days lads? (Sorry if I hijacked this thread, just we're talking about tests right now).

Look at http://www.drivingtest.ie/

Just got home this evening for the first time since Christmas, to find that my dad had disconnected my car battery last night and when he reconnected it this morning the lights were off. Woo, seems I get to use my car after all. Happy days, and I owe my dad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Good luck!

Advertisement