Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Vitriolic Ever Attack on Teachers?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

I think you guys should take a look over at the teaching thread in AH. I imagine you will have a few relevent things to say there having read this thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

When times were good we were happy to jump on the benchmarking bandwagon.

Ha Ha !You mean having to do MORE work so as to fall LESS behind inflation ?You dont seriously think this was a 'rise' do you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 star-bright

the attacks on the teaching profession show just how little respect people have for it.
    I'll be finished college in May up until this college year, all through school and college (and I did business for a year before teaching) I was told finding a job would be no problem for my generation, however now I along with all the others about to quailfy may not find jobs and it's scary, I wish people in the private sector would start to see teachers as fellow tax payers and realise that it's an uncertain future for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

I agree with tha above points. The vast majority of teachers spent years on short tertm contracts that were, in effect, private sector conditions with public sector pay. The situation improved slightly with the introduction of the FTW Act but now jobs will be much more scarce than the majority of private sector areas.

It is trime to tackle the colleges on this. They are training teachers indiscriminately. Supply and demand and proper planning must become part of future training needs. Imagine if they applied this system to other elements of the public service e.g. the guards, the army etc....

Young trachers are now left in complete limbo, they are trained professionals with no opportunity of plying their trade. The children, and staff, need younger teachers to bolster the system, to introduce fresh ideas and to bring their energy and vitality to the system.

Now we will be waiting for natural wastage to kick in before the jobs situation will open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I'm really worn out by all the vitriol.

I knew going into it that not every student would love me, but I'm utterly exhausted by all the hatred pouring out on teachers by the general public. People are so vilely angry with the education system.

Message boards, newspapers, even passing acquaintances have something nasty to say about teachers and teaching.

And to top it all off, I'm doing my hdip and have a near enough guarantee NOT to get a job in Ireland. I'm tired of being "reassured" that there are jobs in England, Canada and Australia. I want to live in Ireland!

Advertisement