Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oblivion for €20: worth it or past it?

• 15-01-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

zavvi are doing an "unboxed" reduction on some games, whereas they dont have the actual box it came in, but a clear case instead. they have oblivion for 20 snots with a manual, and i'm wondering is it worth it? never played it and im thinking its a little past it by now. ive just finished fallout 3 ...will it spoil me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

No idea about the game as I haven't played it but if you can wait a week it's €12.99 with Play

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/717782/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion/Product.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

20 quid is an awful lot for an unboxed game. Wouldn't bother myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Oblivion is the greatest most in depth game iv ever played its far better than fallout 3 just go and buy it 20 euro is a grand price just be prepared to lose a few months of your life.
    Im still looking for a game to match oblivion it really is such a good game buy it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Oblivion is the greatest most in depth game iv ever played its far better than fallout 3 just go and buy it 20 euro is a grand price just be prepared to lose a few months of your life.
    Im still looking for a game to match oblivion it really is such a good game buy it!!!!

Agree with all the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Oblivion is definitely worth playing, but I agree that an unboxed copy is not worth €20 at all, you can get it online for less (and new).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nah, its a bit too much for an unboxed game.

Do you know of any other games w/o the box they're selling off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I got it secondhand for about 12 euro in game last week, so it might be worth checking there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I wouldnt buy it simply because you dont know what oblivion your getting

The GOTY edition has all the expansion packs included shivering isles and the KOTN well over 30 hours extra of gameplay

Oblivion itself has well over 300+ hours of gamepaly in it more if your really like exploring and dont rush it

Its the best game ive ever played, im 26 and played a lotta lotta game mate If your into rpg's oblivion has set the bar on how rpg's should be made

Just go out and buy a 2nd hand GOTY edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup, I'd go for the GotY edition. You get the Shivering Isles expansion, plus HORSE ARMOUR!!! :)

I must go back into that. I finished it completely, but sold it on before SI came out. Then I switched consoles and forgot to back up my save game! Is it possible to just play Shivering Isles from level 1 as I'm not levelling again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Oblivion is worth getting. I've changed my views on it drastically and it's now definitely one of the best games I've ever played.
    chrislad wrote: »
    Yup, I'd go for the GotY edition. You get the Shivering Isles expansion, plus HORSE ARMOUR!!! :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't get horse armour with my GOTY edition.
    Is it possible to just play Shivering Isles from level 1 as I'm not levelling again!

You can enter Shivering Isles after a day has passed. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I bought the GOTY edition a couple of weeks back and im liking it so far...

Ive played about 12 hours and have barely done anything in the game!! ..but thats not a bad thing because im enjoying it :-)

It seems to be absolutely massive. Id say you'll get your moneys worth even if you bought it for €100.

Did any of you guys get bored of it before finishing if?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

You gotta buy it, there's something just so playable about that game, love it.

But if you can download the latest update for it, makes it run a lot more fluid!

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Did any of you guys get bored of it before finishing if?

Didn't get bored of it but got caught up in some other games. Came back to it almost a year later and finished it. Definitely ranks up there as one of the best games of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

my local GAME does indeed have it for 12 quid preowned, but the guy in the shop said he should have a new GOTY edition in next week for 30....

....decisions...

Past it . Get mount and Blade for the PC instead. Great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

my local GAME does indeed have it for 12 quid preowned, but the guy in the shop said he should have a new GOTY edition in next week for 30....

....decisions...

I just picked up a brand new GOTY edition in Game Limerick for €32 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

which platform to buy it on.... pc or xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

which platform to buy it on.... pc or xbox?

xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

....decisions...

I'd wait. The Shivering Isles add on is 1200 points, I believe, which is about a tenner in real money. Plus the other add ons are 400 to 800 (3 of them, if I recall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Whatever price you pay it's worth it. It's so good I have a copy for PC (40 hrs in) & GOTY one for Xbox (60 hrs). I'm playing through Fallout myself now and getting a hankering for going back and completely finishing Oblivion - plus all the Shivering Isles quests are just so imaginitive and original that I fully recommend the GOTY copy over the vanilla edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I played this for the PS3 which I since traded for the Xbox 360!!

I never played the Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine Upgrade. Are the worth a playthrough? I wouldn't be bothered playing through the main quest again though.

As for games being like fine, Fallout 3 is making me hanker after the orginals (never played those either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

It's like being in an isolation tank.

With Goblins.

I'm still addicted, have played it through on everything you can play it on. While i agree €20 is a bit cheeky for an un-boxed game, you'll get value for that €20. Months of playing, and good variety between play styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

It's an amazing game alright. Just pick it up second hand with the proper case. It's very immersive, and you can just play the main quest and enjoy it. But if you really wanna go in deep, there is so much stuff to do. All the side quests (guilds) are almost another game in itself.

There's so much to do, and it looks beautiful. If you can get by the first hour........ you will be mesmerized by the first glimpse you have of the games landscape. Really addictive. Think I racked up 60 hours in this, and there were still lots of locations I didn't go to.

Advertisement