Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going to buy a Alfa Romeo 156????

Options
  • 15-01-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m male in my mid twenty’s and thinking of getting a loan to buy a Alfa Romeo 156, probably a 2004.

What I’d like to know is the 156 as bad as what people make out. I’m not a petrol head but do like the car as it is a good looking car, and I don’t know anyone who owns one (that could be a bad thing!!).

I just want peoples thoughts on how good is the car and in what region should I pay for a 2003/4 model bearing in mind the current poor economic climate in the country. Should I even be wasting my money on a car like this, are the repairs mega expensive?

All thoughts are very much welcome

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've a 156 amongst others.
    It's great apart from some niggles.

Engine is gutsy, it's comfortable, it looks good.

Problems are: People forget to service the timing belt and the tensioners at 34k (miles). This brings on the wrath of the gods, and suddenly their chariot ends up on the side of the M50 with terminal engine failure. Service the belt, tensioners, & water pump when required and you will remain in favour with the men above.

The variator can become diesel-ish after a couple of tens of thousands of clicks. Pretty much ignore this. You can replace it if you want, but the only effect it seems to have is when starting the engine - it rattles for 5 seconds.

Electrics aren't a problem, except for the odd bulb failure. Just carry a spare set!

Bushes & suspension are know to be 'weak' points. Check the car over before-hand. They tend to show wear after 60k miles. Knocking and clunking can be upper/lower wishbones, anti-roll bar (pain to replace) or rear cross beams. As with any marque, you can fit poly bushes to further improve handling and response and tighten up loose suspension components.

Brakes may benefit from grooved pads up front, they can be kind of mushy otherwise.

Spark plugs are replaced at 60k miles (DIY-able). These used to be extortion, but the dealers have faced huge pressure from online sales. Expect to pick up a kit of 8 for ~€100 these days instead of the €32 PER PLUG the dealers used to extract...

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My experiences of 156 ownership are summed up in a previous thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do a search, there are a few very detailed recent threads on the Alfa 156. If you just want the short answer then buy one that's been properly maintained and enjoy! BTW, if you're in Dublin then properly maintained means serviced either by TI Autos or by Alasta. Have Gerry in TI examine any car before you commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do a search, there are a few very detailed recent threads on the Alfa 156. If you just want the short answer then buy one that's been properly maintained and enjoy! BTW, if you're in Dublin then properly maintained means serviced either by TI Autos or by Alasta. Have Gerry in TI examine any car before you commit.

Yeah I did a search earlier today and just felt that people’s views were a little carried away with the sigma attached to the Alfa from the 90’s. So I wanted to bring back up the topic, especially so as I’m thinking of buying.

I must admit, I don’t like the sound about the constant attention that needs to be given to the Alfa!! I kind of want a nice looking reliable car under €10,000, I suppose that could be asking for a little too much.

Even just in the above three posts that’s great information, cheers! I was quoted €9,000 for a 2004 Alfa 156 with 44,000 miles on the clock, do ya think that is a bit expensive???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

alias no.9 wrote: »
    My experiences of 156 ownership are summed up in a previous thread here.

Thats the post that convinced me to buy a 156! - Thanks again Alias.;)

OP bought a 156 6 months ago armed wit the requisite info from here and had a mechanic check before I parted with any cash.
    Couldn't be happier with the car. love having a reason to go for a drive!
    Would reccomend going for the 1.8 or 2.0 engine, much more fun then the 1.8 i found (I got the 1.8)

As for the price, I haggled down to 8K for a 2004 1.8 lusso with 40k on the clock, that was 6 months ago beofre the recession was a reality so I'd say theres room to push the price down some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

yeah the alfa is a very nice car - i never had any problems with mine, and i know i was lucky. you will enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Hi, same as you. mid 20's and bought my first Alfa last Sept.
    Had a 2.0 3 series which was killing me on petrol cos i suddenly started doing way more miles. Buddy in the trade had a 03 Sportivo 1.6 with 110k and a new belt and waterpump which i picked up for just under €4000.

As someone said, the only thing thats gone wrong are bulbs so I upgraded the headlight bulbs when they went cos the origionals were crap.
    Apart from that, I cant fault the car. Comfortable, quick (for a 1.6), good economy, still gorgeous looks after 10 years and massive spec. Sportivo has everything.

If a mechanic says its alright, then I'd work away.
    Best of luck.
    (oh ya, make sure you get the facelifted interior from '03 on.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Lads one question from me, I m very interested to buy the same Alfa some time during the year and I would be probably loking for a 2003 model with 1.6 liter engine. I m just worried about one thing I read on the Honest John that Alfa s twin spark engines tend to use up to 1 liter of oil per 600 miles which sounds a lot. So is this true and did any of ye had that kind of experience with this car?

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Lads one question from me, I m very interested to buy the same Alfa some time during the year and I would be probably loking for a 2003 model with 1.6 liter engine. I m just worried about one thing I read on the Honest John that Alfa s twin spark engines tend to use up to 1 liter of oil per 600 miles which sounds a lot. So is this true and did any of ye had that kind of experience with this car?

Ya, uses a bit of oil but it's grand once you keep an eye on it.

But would it really use that much of oil? Like a liter of oil per 600 miles?? That sounds a bit too much for me. Becouse if it is like that, there is no need to change the oil at all, cause I d only need to top up all the time.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

I have a 05 147 1.6, its uses a bit of oil (0.5l per 1000 miles) , thats with a good quality 10w40 oil in.

I'd agree with the above comments, my car has just past 100,000 miles and I service it every 6k miles and she is still going strong.

get yourself over to www.alfaowner.com/forum for any more queries on the Alfa's, just tell them techie sent you !! :)

techie, you know anyone good with alfa's in the city?

Yes, Paul in Lee Garage is an Alfa nut !! :D

If you have an Alfa head on over to the ROI section of Alfaowner as we have a meet coming up in Killarney !!! :)

Op: If you are getting a 156, then get yourself a facelift 156, (04 onwards) as they are a nicer looking car from the outside and have the facelifted dash also .

I've got an '03 which has the older (better looking imo) body but with the facelifted interior!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

techie wrote: »
    Op: If you are getting a 156, then get yourself a facelift 156, (04 onwards) as they are a nicer looking car from the outside and have the facelifted dash also .
    I've got an '03 which has the older (better looking imo) body but with the facelifted interior!!!
    I've yet to see an Italian car that hasn't looked better in its original iteration, and the Alfa 156 is no exception.

Ok guys you're entitled to your opinions ! (Wrong as they may be !! ) :D:D:D

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've yet to see an Italian car that hasn't looked better in its original iteration, and the Alfa 156 is no exception.

Hasn't looked better IN its original iteration or hasn't looked better THAN its original iteration??

Pre-F/L = Bad

Post F/L = Good

:):P:D

• Advertisement

techie wrote: »
    Ok guys you're entitled to your opinions ! (Wrong as they may be !! ) :D:D:D

Your dead right, personal taste and all that. Just think they messed up the bootlid and back bumper on the facelift. front is ok though, especially with the Ti bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hasn't looked better IN its original iteration or hasn't looked better THAN its original iteration??

He prefers the old ones.

Your dead right, personal taste and all that. Just think they messed up the bootlid and back bumper on the facelift. front is ok though, especially with the Ti bumper.

147 , 156 & 159 TI = Heavenly Cars !!!! :)

yup, 159Ti when they drop below €10k. I'll buy one then.
    Black, black or red leather, and smoked glass.
    SAVAGE!!!!:D

yup, 159Ti when they drop below €10k. I'll buy one then.
    Black, black or red leather, and smoked glass.
    SAVAGE!!!!:D

Kevin O'Leary's have a 06 147 Ti for €14900 with 17k miles on it. The force is strong in that one :)

Nice bus.
    big money though

Nice bus.
    big money though

It's down from €18900 , been there for more than 6 months , if it keeps going I will have it by mid year I reckon !! :)

€12000 would be the right price for it. I'd pay a bit more if it had leather. Suprised it doesnt actually

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm going to buck the trend here. I much prefer the 04 facelifted 156 to the original.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm going to buck the trend here. I much prefer the 04 facelifted 156 to the original.

I dont know why but me too.:)

Advertisement