Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going to buy a Alfa Romeo 156????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

And almost just to prove me right - there is a silver 00D 156 on the South-bound carrage-way in Carrickmines which has, I sure, blown it's camshaft all over the black-top... Another 156 bites the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

10-10-20 wrote: »
    And almost just to prove me right - there is a silver 00D 156 on the South-bound carrage-way in Carrickmines which has, I sure, blown it's camshaft all over the black-top... Another 156 bites the dust.

Just another owner who did not get the cambelt done on time I bet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

10-10-20 wrote: »

Saw that too; praying the chap just ran out of petrol as I went by.

Pre-facelift all the way BTW. Post face-lift front is OK; aspires to the aggressive 159-look without success but, as CharlieC says, the rear is a mess.

Oh and alias no.9's post on buying a 156 is as definitive as I've seen; well done that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

the 156 to have is the 2.4JTD, they're easier to run than the petrol ones, 50mpg, and they don't use oil, and quicker than all the petrols bar the GTA

this is mine

2003, with the factory bodykit and facelift interior, 121k miles miles on the clock and its running like clockwork, I'm thinking of selling her at the moment as i need a jeep to tow a trailer :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Cheers for all the info lads,

So do u reckon I should pay around E7,500 for a 04 156??

This might sound a daft question but I never have even put a bid in for a car before, so say if a car is going for E9,000 would it really annoy the dealer if i said i'd pay E7,750, or would he just tell me were to go?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

me ? I'd offer even less than that ! Try starting at....6 ?

Don't be shy, in a moment of weakness, all that can happen is you either get the car for less than you thought.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

galwaytt wrote: »
    me ? I'd offer even less than that ! Try starting at....6 ?

Don't be shy, in a moment of weakness, all that can happen is you either get the car for less than you thought.......

Get out of it...? Do you think a dealer would really generally let a car at around say 8,000 go for 7,000 for less???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

siralfalot wrote: »

this is mine

2003, with the factory bodykit and facelift

Have to say that TI bodykit really adds to the car. Is there an after-market version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 solo1484

03mcgs0 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the info lads,

So do u reckon I should pay around E7,500 for a 04 156??

This might sound a daft question but I never have even put a bid in for a car before, so say if a car is going for E9,000 would it really annoy the dealer if i said i'd pay E7,750, or would he just tell me were to go?!

Gods honest truth, don't make him any offers; its a bad choice to get an alfa be it a 00 or a 07...i've heard of so many horror stories.
    The price of alfa's speaks for itself..their so cheap because their not worth it! You'd pick up a 01 or 02 3 series for €9000 and you'll have very few probs ever. Please sit on your hands and look before you leap!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

solo1484 wrote: »
    Gods honest truth, don't make him any offers; its a bad choice to get an alfa be it a 00 or a 07...i've heard of so many horror stories.
    The price of alfa's speaks for itself..their so cheap because their not worth it! You'd pick up a 01 or 02 3 series for €9000 and you'll have very few probs ever. Please sit on your hands and look before you leap!!!:o

...and a thread on Alfas almost, almost, dies without the usual old rhetoric.
    Fair play to solo1484 though, he's heard a lot of stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

i've heard of so many horror stories.

Moderators, can we put some sort of block on trolls and gob****es on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

OP
    Listen to the people who actually OWN an Alfa, not the people who think they know what they're talking about cos they listen to the stereotypes.
    Yes, they CAN go wrong like any car but I had a 3 series before my 156 and i couldn't go a couple of months before having to fork out €€€€€€ on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Moderators, can we put some sort of block on trolls and gob****es on this thread?

Last I heard, vbulletin was patenting their new trollsNgobsh1tes filter (TM)

It'll probably take a few years before it's deployed to boards.ie. In the meantime, don't feed the trolls (or the ignorants that look like trolls)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

OP I own both pre-facelift and post-facelift 156's and I have to say I much prefer to drive the post-facelift version (though granted its the 1.9JTD :D )

look after them and service them regular and they'll look after you too :D

As for solo1484 I'm really happy people like him are about and have his very wrong opinion. Means you can pick up a great car that will always put a smile on your face for alot cheaper than other marques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

What an asset to the forum you are. Have you ever owned or even driven an Alfa? Ive heard horror stories about BMWs as well but im not stupid enough to think that all of them are complete crap. Go to www.carsurvey.org and you will see plenty of happy Alfa customers. In fact most of the post 2004 Alfas are positive reviews with very few complaints and some cars having none at all.

Or have you heard a story about that site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have to say that TI bodykit really adds to the car. Is there an after-market version?

you can buy it from Alfa as an aftermarket kit, its big bucks though :mad:

every now and then you will find one on ebay for a good price

a company called Zender make the kit for Alfa, and it can also be bought via their website.

dear god, dou you really think that a 01 or 02 vintage BMW (or any other Marque for that matter) will be completly trouble free??

your attitude reminds me of an Alfa Romeo meet that was held in the Phoenix Park a year ago. There was 40 or so Alfas of all discriptions parked up, and we were attracting a lot of positive attention from passers by. Suddenly a clapped out corolla approches, and the bald fat driver (who was leaning halfway out the window) roars out "yisser alfas are nuttin buh balls o shoite!!"
    man we must have laughed at him for 15 mins

Advertisement