Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant find what type of RAM computer uses

Options
  • 15-01-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I want to upgrade the RAM on my familys old computer, but cant find out what RAM it uses. its a bit slow but its mainly only used for internet so im going to chance upgrading the RAM before i buy a new computer. ive done everything other than buying hardware to speed it up.
    its a 4yr old Emachine 3230. using win xp

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Try www.crucial.com - they have a handy tool for finding out RAM. Not sure if it will work for you but it's a start until someone with more knowledge comes online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

it mos likley uses SD ram PC-100 or 133 either will do, or even ddr1 400

here is a great little program that will tell you what exactly it is

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cj001

wow that was quick thanks i'll check it out

thats a cool little programme heres what it said

type: DDR
    size: 256mb
    Dram freq:133.3mhz
    FSB. Dram: 3:4
    cas#latency(CL)2.0 clocks
    ras#precharge(trp):3 clocks
    cycle time (tras): 6 clocks
    DRAM idle timer: 16 clocks

pathetic i know, so all i look for when buying is type and freq?
    could i buy DDRII.

cj001 wrote: »
    thats a cool little programme heres what it said

type: DDR
    size: 256mb
    Dram freq:133.3mhz
    FSB. Dram: 3:4
    cas#latency(CL)2.0 clocks
    ras#precharge(trp):3 clocks
    cycle time (tras): 6 clocks
    DRAM idle timer: 16 clocks

pathetic i know, so all i look for when buying is type and freq?
    could i buy DDRII.

no , you need 184 pin DDR 400 ram ,DDRII is 240 pin

• Advertisement

heres more spec i missed under SPD

mod size 256mb
    max bandwidth pc 2700(166mhz)
    manu: Nanya Tecnology

Timings Table
    freq: 133mhz 166mhz
    cas#latency 2.0 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# 3 3
    RAS precharge 3 3
    tRAS 6 7

voltage 2.5 2.5

thats cheap, but does'nt the freq have to match? mines 133 or 166 max that one is 266mhz? also what does this mean "DOES NOT WORK WORK ON INTEL CHIPSETS AND MAC CHIPSETS" its half way down on the items page.

thats cheap, but does'nt the freq have to match? mines 133 or 166 max that one is 266mhz? also what does this mean "DOES NOT WORK WORK ON INTEL CHIPSETS AND MAC CHIPSETS" its half way down on the items page.

sorry mate didn't read down that far.Here is what you need works in older machines and don't worry about the frequencty and ,latency timings etc..
    It will automatically run at the speed your motherboard was set for

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/1Gb_A_Data_PC3200_DDR_RAM_CL3_module/index.html

thanks matey, i might drop into them cause there only up the road, (im in palmerstown) price isnt bad but might be able to get it cheaper, so all i need to look for is just the DDR part???

if i seen a very good priced laptop or pc i might buy ( vista prem, dual-core or core duo, good quality screen/monitor)

there was a refurbed acer on Dabs, "Acer Refurb ASM5610 Core 2 Duo E4500 2GB 250GB Vista Prem DVDR" 360euro you cant go wrong for that kinda money, can you? are acer not worth touching and what about refurbed machines, would i just get problems?

dont suppose you know of any good deals out there or places to check out?

• Advertisement

thanks matey, i might drop into them cause there only up the road, (im in palmerstown) price isnt bad but might be able to get it cheaper, so all i need to look for is just the DDR part???

if i seen a very good priced laptop or pc i might buy ( vista prem, dual-core or core duo, good quality screen/monitor)

there was a refurbed acer on Dabs, "Acer Refurb ASM5610 Core 2 Duo E4500 2GB 250GB Vista Prem DVDR" 360euro you cant go wrong for that kinda money, can you? are acer not worth touching and what about refurbed machines, would i just get problems?

dont suppose you know of any good deals out there or places to check out?

I bought a fatality sli motherboard for 99 euro and it can eventually take 16gigs of ram, I have 8 in it at the moment.Im not into gaming but it's perfect for upgrading.I bought a quad core q6600 off ebay for 170 euro 6 months ago factory sealed.and the ram cost 120 euro approx off ebay my case was 80 euro.I have a ATI graphics card with 512mb of Gddr 3 ram and it cost 35 euro on ebay.This is the second PC i have built and upgraded over the years ,the first lasted 9 years

by the way stay away from laptops unless you travel alot

jesus thats cheap, so for about the price of that acer i could built a top spec machine, i gonna check out how much it would cost to build a savage machine

and about the RAM, all i need to look for is DDR when buying???

a link to that acer http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=5DLG&CategorySelectedId=11011&PageMode=1&cl=4294963687&NavigationKey=11011&InMerch=1

depends what you wanna do with it ,it's a good resonable machine and a good price.The reason I built my own is the fact I chose a motherboard that could take loads of ram cos lets face it ,PC's slow down need more ram over the years.Easy to do without buyin' a new one every 3>4 years;)

DDR2 any type it ranges from 500mhz to 800mhz but it's like HD tv's and blue ray crap you don't need half of the stuff thats there;)

yeah i know what you mean but to do with my Emachine and upgrading the memory, you said dont worry about frequencys and latency timings etc....
    so as long as the memory has DDR in the name, thats all i need to look for right?

Advertisement