Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A borrower nor a lender be....

• 15-01-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

... goes the old saying and from tonight that going top be my philosophy.

I've lent an SB800, my Manfrotto tripod and my SPyder 3 out to three different people over the past few months and all have failed to return them.

The SB800 was left at the venue and the borrower offered today to replace it until tols the price and the said they'd see.

The tripod was brought on a working holiday and left behind in her words "Didn't think you'd want it back and it was taking up too much space in my luggage so i left it there" (USA).

Finally my Spyder 3 is weaving a web somewhere as the borrower has no idea where they left it. However they arrived this evening with a brand new Spyder2Express and we calibated my monitors though I am not sure if it really has made any difference. Anyway, he's willing to get the Spyder3 and take back the express version.

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd make sure you get a replacement for your SB800 and Manfrotto tripod... seriously. That's just not on :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

sounds like a bit of bad luck ..... I gave city-exile a couple of lenses and flash for a couple of months ...all returned in perfect condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd seriously be looking for some money from the people who left your stuff behind. An invoice in the post for the loss of professional equipment perhaps.

I really don't lend stuff to anyone. I've learned the hard way unfortunately. My dad runs a garage and he's been so fustrated over the years by lending stuff to people only to never see it again. At one stage he had several vice-grips on chains attached to different points on the floor, and they were still taken. He soldered his name onto tools - no difference. Even to this day he goes into someones garage and finds something that used to be his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Insist on them being replaced, if the borrowers had any respect for you they would have replaced them without you having to say anything.
    I find that type of behavior very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bad luck..... I lent a tripod to a good friend (not an expensive manfrotto, but a velbon). It was an good tripod, as I had only spent a hundred and fifty euro two months prev. (ie a lot when your a student).

Anyway what do you tink he did wit it??

He ran it over. In what, you ask?? In a feckin digger wit caterpillar tracks!!

As you can imagine it was pretty much a write off.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

landy.... hope you got that person to replace it...or at least give ya some money towards a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

soccerc wrote: »
    The tripod was brought on a working holiday and left behind in her words "Didn't think you'd want it back and it was taking up too much space in my luggage so i left it there" (USA).
    That is bull, "didn't think you'd want it back", WTF!

I'd have gone ape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Irish Halo wrote: »
    That is bull, "didn't think you'd want it back", WTF!

I'd have gone ape

I did get angry and she is normally a very level headed person and it's going to cost her about €250 including the head to replace.

The SB800s are going for about €300 if you can find them and since my rant he's agreed to replace though did want to get a used one. I've offered to cover the difference between it and the sb900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Jesus thats bad,i'd definetly get them to replace the kit you've lost as it's quite alot!
    How would you leave a flash at a venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

PCPhoto wrote: »
    landy.... hope you got that person to replace it...or at least give ya some money towards a replacement.

It was replaced with an even better slik tripod in a sale..... So as another seàn fhocal goes alls well, ends well. :-)

The sb800s are a about 400 notes afaik, but as its not to big i can understand it been forgotton (well sorta really bad mistake). But a couple of hundred euro manfrotto?? Not having enough room??? I'd have gone through them for a shortcut. I'd rekon it was worth as much or more then the luggage they were bringing home. Make sure you get both replaced.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Why didnt I read this thread 15 mins ago before I gave my spare D300 battery to HughC :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Oh I couldnt be a borrowee, I would be so afraid of something happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

PCPhoto wrote: »
    sounds like a bit of bad luck ..... I gave city-exile a couple of lenses and flash for a couple of months ...all returned in perfect condition.

When someone is as generous as you were, I go out of my way to respect their property and return it in the same condition as it was when I borrowed it.
    It's down to common decency.

I like to continue that goodwill and have lent/given kit to other photography enthusiasts.
    I know others here who have done the same.

We all get burnt at one point, or another, but that's the risk you take, when you try to help others out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Why didnt I read this thread 15 mins ago before I gave my spare D300 battery to HughC :D:D

you do realise Fergus that that's the last time you'll ever see it.

:)

PS if the new baby is a boy you can name him after me for free

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

....the borrower offered today to replace it until tols the price and the said they'd see....

Hang on, so they admitted they'd left it behind, then said that they would replace it, then went "Oh it's expensive? Ah no, I don't think so". I can't believe anybody would do that!

I remember years ago I lent my bike to somebody, they left it overnight and it got stripped, cost me a fortune at the time to replace (student). Never again!

If you don't get any joy, can you go the legal route? Small claims court would cover that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

... goes the old saying and from tonight that going top be my philosophy.

I've lent an SB800, my Manfrotto tripod and my SPyder 3 out to three different people over the past few months and all have failed to return them.

The SB800 was left at the venue and the borrower offered today to replace it until tols the price and the said they'd see.

Finally my Spyder 3 is weaving a web somewhere as the borrower has no idea where they left it. However they arrived this evening with a brand new Spyder2Express and we calibated my monitors though I am not sure if it really has made any difference. Anyway, he's willing to get the Spyder3 and take back the express version.

I'd make a point of getting each of those things back. If you don't it might be a sign that you are a door mat or incredibly wealthy(which is very unfashionable in these recessionary times :D).
    It would annoy me intensely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That reminds me that I still have some kit that does not belong to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have to say, it really depends on who asks. I've loan gear to people on here. Never had a single issue. Everyone treated the gear with great respect, and really appreciated it.

What goes around, comes around. People have been generous to me, and I've been generous to others.

But, for those who borrow and don't return - may bad luck always follow them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow... I would clock the guy who went "€300... I'll see about that". Totally out of order!

I have the same problem when people borrow books from me, I have a small (but perfectly formed) library with some rare graphic-novels in particular and some hard to find novels. Some of them I loan and some I simply tell people that they are too valuable (not entirely true but they are too valuable to me!). If someone really needs one I make sure they know the price and that I will be completely holding them to that price if they lose or destroy it. Its bad that you have to verbally confirm what SHOULD be simple manners but, well... :rolleyes:

If someone asks you to borrow something and you dont want to loan them it, tell them its on loan from someone else to you and you wouldnt feel right loaning it onwards.

Seriously, gob-smacking cheek of those people. I'm glad you got it sorted out but to answer a question above, yes you can bring them to the small claims court without having to engage a lawyer. Its designed to be fast and simple...

Dev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

The rant was a rant as I was pissed off.

Since I posted each individual has agreed to replacement, like for like. If I hadn't needed to calibrate I maybe would not have gone looking for the outstanding stuff.

In fairness the person who borrowed the Spyder arrived with a replacement, a Spyder2 Express but has as I already posted volunteered to get a Spyder 3.

I've lent lenses bodies and accessories to others no problem but will in future consider each request more carefully. Recently a wedding pro borrowed my 14-24mm and when returning it the next day left a gift of a set of rechargable batteries and a bottle of wine.

As some of you here know I'll gladly go out of my way to help people so my rant was just from annoyance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

That reminds me. I have a camera, two lenses and a tripod all lent out but I know they are in good hands so I'm not worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I regularly lend things to another poster here (you know who you are!) and always get them back just as I lent them.

I guess you just gotta be careful who you lend things to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

City-Exile wrote: »
    I go out of my way to respect their property and return it in the same condition as it was when I borrowed it.
    It's down to common decency.

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who I loan kit to is told, brand new kit to replace if it it is damaged or broken - period!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've lent books, cd's and dvd's to people that I've never seen again and not let it really get to me but to borrow something expensive and lose or damage it (never mind throw it away as in the case of your tripod soccerc) is seriously bad form.

I hope that at least whichever bell hop found the tripod your friend left behind was a photographer and got some use out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Been there, it can be quite frustrating. Next time ask for a cash deposit in case they return it damaged or fail to return it at all, whatever the circumstances may be. There is no valid reason to refuse a deposit in that situation. Also, make it clear when you expect it back and that it is up to the borrower to make the effort and not up to the lender to chase them around.

This of course excludes close family and close friends, people you should be able to rely on :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mloc wrote: »
    I regularly lend things to another poster here (you know who you are!) and always get them back just as I lent them.

I guess you just gotta be careful who you lend things to.

:o

Advertisement