Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal abuse in a PM from a mod (Karoma)

Options
  • 15-01-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

This mod implied I was a retard in a PM. Completely uncalled for, and extremely innappropriate word to use as an insult. Heres the PM:

<snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please don't post PM without the other persons permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

seamus wrote: »
    Please don't post PM without the other persons permission.

they more than likely wouldn't allow me to post something which showed them insulting me, in cases like this posting pm's without the other persons permission should be allowed, in my opinion

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I've read your comments in that thread.
    Here's one of many:
    didn't something like this happen in the 80's? any old cnuts about here to confirm this?

I'd be one of those people btw, though I don't consider myself a cnut.

You know, when you behave in a certain way, you get that behaviour back.
    Think about that next time you post. You don't come across as a particularly nice person.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I've read your comments in that thread.
    Here's one of many:

I'd be one of those people btw.

You know, when you behave in a certain way, you get that behaviour back.
    Think about that next time you post.

Firstly it was clearly a joke not intended to offend anyone, anyone who gets offended by that comment probably shouldn't go near the internet for their own good. Secondly are you saying personal abuse is acceptable as long as the person the abuse is directed at has abused other people? (although clearly in this case I haven't levelled personal abuse at anyone).

The normal procedure is to forward the pm onto an Smod or Admin and we'll look at it.

In general we don't take any action about insults in PMs unless the PM was unsolicited. In any other case, I tend to advise people to just end the converstation and/or put the other person on ignore.

The idea behind this is that if someone insults you in a private conversation, you have the option to end the conversation. If it's done in public on a thread, you don't have that option.

I would also suggest that you consider your own advice:
    anyone who gets offended by that comment probably shouldn't go near the internet for their own good.

• Advertisement

The normal procedure is to forward the pm onto an Smod or Admin and we'll look at it.

In general we don't take any action about insults in PMs unless the PM was unsolicited. In any other case, I tend to advise people to just end the converstation and/or put the other person on ignore.

The idea behind this is that if someone insults you in a private conversation, you have the option to end the conversation. If it's done in public on a thread, you don't have that option.

I would also suggest that you consider your own advice:

There was a world of difference between a light hearted comment directed at the older generation, which clearly had no malice intended, and a nasty personal insult from a mod done on the sly as he thought he/she would get away with it. I'll forward the PM shortly. For the record the mod in question has denied my request to post the pm, surprise surprise (some would say an admission of guilt in itself but hey there you go).

The PM itself was unsolicited, the infraction was completely over the top. I'll let the infraction go because I am more worried about this issue, so I would like action to be taken against this abusive pm.

What difference is it if the insult is in a PM or a public thread. I didn't ask for the insult in either case so why should an insult by PM be acceptable while one done in a public forum is unnacceptable. Once someone puts another person on ignore they can't see any of the posts, whether in public forums or by PM, so there is no difference where the insult was made, the point is it was made and it shouldn't be accepted and allowed.

The PM itself was unsolicited, the infraction was completely over the top. I'll let the infraction go because I am more worried about this issue, so I would like action to be taken against this abusive pm.
    The original PM itself was necessary. It's a special case. One of my fellow Smods has/is talking to Karoma about it. In this case, if he feels the need to respond in the way he did, it's better if he keeps his mouth shut. :)
    there is no difference where the insult was made, the point is it was made and it shouldn't be accepted and allowed.
    There is a world of difference. A PM is a private conversation and we don't moderate private conversations for a million obvious reasons.

As I point out though, this is a special case. If it arose in the course of a normal PM conversation, we wouldn't do anything. As it is, I don't feel any further action is necessary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

One of my fellow Smods has/is talking to Karoma about it.

I have had a word with karoma.

Advertisement