Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Hazard

Options
  • 15-01-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi All,

Renting a 3 bed semi form the past 6 months, in a year long lease.

before Christmas i discovered some damp in the bedroom which has now spread to kitchen, the 2 bathrooms and the hallway. Rang letting agency before Christmas and he said he would get it sorted and would get in contact with me. heard nothing from him and nobody has come to sort out the problem. I have contacted him last week again and still nothing.

What i want to find out is how i can break my lease. is this enough grounds to get out? If the problem is sorted and I stay, is it likely to reoccur again? going in to him again in the morning so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Get out your lease and read it carefully. I think it probably says something like "landlord to keep house in habitalable condition" or some such.

If the damp is becoming an issue then it is about to breach that term.

Start making notes of the times when you call the agent. Next time you call tell them unless they have someone out asap you will be handing in notice and leaving.

Dont threaten to stop paying rent because that hamstrings you a bit legally. If they dont keep up their end then you can through 28 days notice at them then walk not matter what lease says(Its null and void if they dont keep house in a livable condition).

Advertisement