Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

media studies

• 15-01-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey thinking about doing media studies up there next year just wondering what the course is like and do many people get jobs with studios or production companies off the back of it . I was also wondering whats it like going to a college in a small town or do people go out to dublin sometimes . cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Well if you do Media Studies you do classes in a Studio and Production company located in Maynooth, outside the University.

Hardly anyone get's a job in the industry though.

Most people would go out in Maynooth, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays Maynooth is usually full up with people on the lash. So you've got that option or you can hop on the train and be in Town quick enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This gets asked here every year. Nothing wrong with asking again, get new opinions and all that. Only pointing it out because if you do a search on it you will get a lot more info.

I have written at length on one of the old threads. In short; it's fun way to get an Arts degree. You do half essays/half projects while the rest of the Arts gang are constantly writing essays. That's about the best thing I can say for the course.

In terms of employability, it's not so great. It's like a carpenter doing a BA in carpentry, where he learns a little bit about how to make stuff and reads a lot of books, writes essays etc. In the end, someone who got a practical apprentiship would be more employable in that area, but for your general future it's always good to have a degree.

So, if you're serious about media, then you have to do a course that teaches you the skills. Multimedia in DCU is very good. Also, you can do just the practical side of the Maynooth BA in one year as a postgrad diploma.

And also, the only person from my class who got a job in media after it, was already working in media beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Astrobotty

oh dear oh dear!
    that does not bode well for myself, the first year media student.
    :)

Doing the course and loving it. it provides a very good balance between media theory and practical media.

Of course the media theory is boring at parts but also can be very interesting.

If you choose media in maynooth you will be doing it with two other arts subjects. im doing media, english and anthropology(study of humans).

The hours are nice, on average about 2 -3 hours of college a day.
    For example I have media on tuesdays and fridays, tuesdays = media theory for 2 hours and fridays = 3 hours in Kiaros working with computers and things.

projects are fun, they leave loads of room for creative input.

Thats the jist of that I think :)
    If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Oisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I know someone who did that course a few years ago and he went on to do a masters in something completely different! He said nobody in his class got into the industry!

I did a postgrad up there in Media and learnt very little! I've been doing work ex and have learnt far more through the practical work experience than I did doing the postgrad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sweetie79

Astrobotty wrote: »
    oh dear oh dear!
    that does not bode well for myself, the first year media student.
    :)

Doing the course and loving it. it provides a very good balance between media theory and practical media.

Of course the media theory is boring at parts but also can be very interesting.

If you choose media in maynooth you will be doing it with two other arts subjects. im doing media, english and anthropology(study of humans).

The hours are nice, on average about 2 -3 hours of college a day.
    For example I have media on tuesdays and fridays, tuesdays = media theory for 2 hours and fridays = 3 hours in Kiaros working with computers and things.

projects are fun, they leave loads of room for creative input.

Thats the jist of that I think :)
    If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Oisin

I am a little concerned reading that not many gets employed in the industry.is it really impossible to get in the media? radio,newspapers,tv?

I am exited that i've got a place in Maynooth,i think its a lovely subject to be explored.i volunteered in radio programme when i was younger and loved it.recording,editing sound and choosing the playlist was the best afterhours activity i could get:)

are you still on the course? how do you find anthropology,is it difficult?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Philly Notaro

This is exactly the kind of stuff i didnt want to hear about the media degree. I expected it to be really hard to get into the media,especially radio and tv production or even presenting, but i just hoped students would build up enough experience through production classes and maybe voluntary work experience to put themselves in a decent position for getting a job. I've presented a couple of radio shows(music and talk) and id love to give that a proper shot:D

I wouldnt worry about any of that stuff.Its just personal decision what do you want to do degree in.

Ah yeah i do wanna do the degree but i just dont wanna put in 3 hard years and not have any job from it in the end:(..
    but saying that it is an arts course and i think im going to do business with it. and maybe try get a post grad in that if i feel by the end of the 3rd year i have no hope of a job in the media industry...
    Although id accept anything in that industry ha:D

When i was interviewed,it was mentioned that the nuim has certain contacts and will assist-help in finding placements.i believe if you already have the experience and the personality to do it,you will get what you want.I love any type of journalism,during the course i will do anything i can to get something in the industry before i will finish the course.
    what subject are you planning to choose as second,i know nothing about what is to choose from.i am thinking anthropology,sounds very interesting to explore.when we will be required to choose?

Sweetie79 wrote: »
    When i was interviewed,it was mentioned that the nuim has certain contacts and will assist-help in finding placements.i believe if you already have the experience and the personality to do it,you will get what you want.I love any type of journalism,during the course i will do anything i can to get something in the industry before i will finish the course.
    what subject are you planning to choose as second,i know nothing about what is to choose from.i am thinking anthropology,sounds very interesting to explore.when we will be required to choose?

Did u not apply for an honours degree in journalism??...you might like that even more and over the 3 years you'll have written for a few magazines and newspapers.Because i dont think theres alot of written journalism in the course...Its kind of more focused on broadcast media as u may know?

Well im taking english and business.. id take psychology if we could but we cant ha

• Advertisement

I would be more keen on broadcast side anyway.english is not my native language.I've got some experience in radio and i'll prob stick to it.safer:)btw,love the idea of psychology as a second subject:)where can i have a look what subject to choose from,nuim website i guess? what would be the english like,literature? how bout german? i used to have german as one of my subject in primary,hundred years ago :))

Yeah you'll see it all on the website...u can't do media studies with psychology its a shame:(but the english will be really interesting if u like poetry,fiction and giving your opinions on writers and themes. Your english seems to be good enough for english but go for german if your confident with that.
    Sociology sounds good too...are you living in the maynooth area??

Media in maynooth is pretty good cracK :)
    im enjoying it anyway, heading into 2nd year.
    Anthropology is ok, depends on how interested you are in the subject, for me it was a bit boring in places, but english is pretty good!

Yeah i know media will be good. I think im just anxious about it bcos i cant really see myself getting a job from it... but i guess thats not as importanty as studyin somethin your interested in...
    How was 1st year???...jesus im all over boards lookin for advice haha
    English is good yeah??

Ah, first year was deadly :)
    Media is split into two halves, one being production which provides for a lot of creativity and the other being media theory which is boring, but very do-able.

English is pretty good, got a bit uninteresting for me during the second semester so i did go to a few less lectures.

The best part of college for me though is the clubs and socs. like you will spend on average 2 - 3 hours a day in lectures. make sure that is not all the time you spend in maynooth!
    There are always clubs or socs running throughout the day, so you could go to trampoline in between lectures, or just play frisbee.
    Join the frisbee club btw! this year im pretty sure i spent more time playing frisbee than in lectures :P

Dont forget though, all this stuff is only my opinion!
    everyone feels different about everything :)
    Any q's just ask.

i am thinking what to choose for the second and third subject.pretty sure on spanish but still thinking whether to go for anthropology or something else.what you think? and if i'll get a job,will i be able for it.are you very busy with assignements and stuff during the 1st year? what time the lectures are finished every day?

frisbee club ??? :)

Astrobotty wrote: »
    Ah, first year was deadly :)
    Media is split into two halves, one being production which provides for a lot of creativity and the other being media theory which is boring, but very do-able.

English is pretty good, got a bit uninteresting for me during the second semester so i did go to a few less lectures.

The best part of college for me though is the clubs and socs. like you will spend on average 2 - 3 hours a day in lectures. make sure that is not all the time you spend in maynooth!
    There are always clubs or socs running throughout the day, so you could go to trampoline in between lectures, or just play frisbee.
    Join the frisbee club btw! this year im pretty sure i spent more time playing frisbee than in lectures :P

Dont forget though, all this stuff is only my opinion!
    everyone feels different about everything :)
    Any q's just ask.

Is the theory all about semiotics and media audiences and all that??did that last year n thought it was ok...are those old literature books u hav to read for english any good??..like art they readable or would u fall asleep haha

What did ya do yourself for your radio n video assignments so far man??

Sweetie79 wrote: »
    frisbee club ??? :)

This frisbee club sounds kinda silly but cool:D

Advertisement