Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting from US recipe

• 15-01-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to follow a recipe in a US cookbook and I'm having some trouble converting. There's hundreds of resources online for doing this, but they seem slightly conflicting. Anyone here successfully converted a US recipe?

The recipe calls for teaspoon, tablespoon and cup, various volumes. Is a teaspoon still a teaspoon and tablespoon still a tablespoon? The cup appears to be different depending on whether it's wet (c250ml) or dry (c225g, but depends - flour is less, raisins are more). This makes sense, flour is lighter than raisins, as such.

Is it possible to buy american measuring spoons and cups over here (specifically in Cork) or is it easy enough to convert?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Gram Conversion Calculator - there's a table with some common baking ingredients

Cooking Conversions Calculator - search for ingredients and convert

It's handy to have a set of graduated measuring cups, most kitchen supply shops or homeware shops should stock them, but they're not essential. Neither are the spoons - the UK/Ireland, North America, and New Zealand tablespoon is 15ml (Australia is 20ml), so just use a regular tablespoon and teaspoon for those measurements. Anything that's in cups, find a receptacle that'll hold 250ml to the brim and use that, or convert to grams and weigh it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Anything that's in cups, find a receptacle that'll hold 250ml to the brim and use that
    I have a measuring jug that goes up to half a litre. So if I half fill that, it will work fine? And that will work for dry ingredients aswell?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

brennans on oliver plunkett st have anything you'll never need in the kitchen. you'll also find some regular plastic jugs have listings on the side for flour and sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tree wrote: »
    brennans on oliver plunkett st have anything you'll never need in the kitchen.
    Interesting typo :D I've always found them expensive and unhelpful in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i find them grand, there's cookware on carey's lane too. not a typo, there's lots of stuff you can get that you dont really need, egg separators etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

corblimey wrote: »
    I have a measuring jug that goes up to half a litre. So if I half fill that, it will work fine? And that will work for dry ingredients aswell?
    Yes. 250ml of anything, liquid or solid, is the same volume as 250ml of anything else. They'll have different weights, but that's not the point, as we're talking about volumes here, and the recipe is based on that premise.

I actually find it a handier and more intuitive way of measuring for a lot of recipes, to be honest, and more like what I do when I'm "making up' recipes as I go along, i.e. you judge things in terms of ad-hoc volumetric quantities like "a handful" or "a bunch", not "about 200g" or such-like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

corblimey wrote: »
    Interesting typo :D I've always found them expensive and unhelpful in there.

They're not cheap but I've always found them extremely helpful!

In fact, I'll report back - I'm returning salt and pepper grinders with a lifetime guarantee there today.
    It will be interesting to see how I get on!

Advertisement