Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallins, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 15-01-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am considering purchasing a property in Sallins as prices are relatively realistic from what I have seen advertised and there is a train service to Dublin city. I was just wondering what those who live in the area, in particular in Waterways and Millbank, think of the area - the pros and cons. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't know Sallins all that well but it seems like a decent area. You do know that the train goes to Heuston right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I do indeed but it is near enough for me for the city centre, flexi time is a godsend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 howisitgoing

Train service is great sallins is a great place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Hi, I live in Millbank - I like Sallins, I think it's a very picturesque small town and I have never regretted moving here (over 4 years ago). I have previously lived in Dublin City Centre and suburbs such as Rathgar and Rathfarnham. When I first moved here it was because it was what I could afford to buy, but now I don't think I would move back to Dublin at all. I love finishing work (city centre) and getting the train home and leaving the city behind me every day.

The train service - pros -
    it is used by people from as far away as prosperous, and can be so popular that there is a lack of seats by the time everyone gets on. That said, if you have to stand, it is only about 25 mins. I have driven into the city the odd time and the train is far quicker. The Naas road is a nightmare.
    Cons - The timetable is pretty good at the peak times, and absolutely useless the rest of the day. There is a train roughly every hour and a half during off-peak. The last train from Heuston to Sallins is quite early at 11pm. If you miss that there is no other direct way of getting to Sallins by public transport, and a taxi will sent you back over 50euro (at least that's what it cost me a few years ago)

Thanks for that coffeepls, I am going to view a property in Millbank this week so I should experience the train for myself. I like the idea of being in the country too after work rather than another concrete jungle in the suburbs so that would be a big pro for me.
    That is an early finishing up time for the train alright though but I presume there is some bit of life in Sallins village? I would rarely go out in town anyway now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Hi EF, the evening life in Sallins is based around the three pubs here - each have their own character. The railway inn is quite typically local and nice for a drink/chat, compared to the Bridgewater which would be considered modern and stylish. It all goes very quiet once the pubs are closed, but that's where Naas plays it's part, being 2 miles up the road. Naas has the nightlife, and some really great restaurants like Indie spice (expensive and worth it), Pasta Fresca (sister restaurant of the one in Chatham st), and others. I kind of like that the nightlife is not on my doorstep, but not a million miles away.
    If you get the train out to Sallins (from Heuston) don't forget that once you arrive in Sallins to cross over the railway footbridge to the other side - sounds like a daft point, but it's not obvious when you arrive in Sallins the first time that the village is not on the side you alight on!:)

Thanks for that, was thinking I might need a satnav out there coming from the big smoke :D but the train station is within walking distance of the property according to the ad anyway, so it cant be too far! I didnt realise Naas was that close too, I have been there a few times visting friends and it has a great atmosphere from my experience. Another pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd hardly consider Sallins "the country" anymore. A suburb in a different county is still very much a suburb.

I'd also consider Millbank a place to avoid. It's a building site, it's been that way for years and I'd imagine it'll remain that way for many years given the current climate. The developer has dragged heels in providing many of the promised facilities on what is essentially a huge site while popping up the apartment complexes without much thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Sallins? Hmmm..... Here's a comprehensive guide.

Train service is just ok. Nothing too spectacular.

The village is picturesque enough but the huge estates that have sprung up are not laid out in a pedestrian friendly manner. Its car dependent for most estates out there.

Shops - Enough of them

Pubs
    The Railway Bar - Owned and run by a family that have no concept of customer service. Bar is full of locals (as in Sallins born and bred). The lounge is nearly always empty and is a mixture of locals and blow ins. However the blow ins are in Sallins nearly 10 years and will stare at you like the locals. The toilets are smelly.

Verdict - Avoid

Flanagans Mill - A troubled pub that is leased by the owner. It has had many many operators over the last 10 years. Stay out of the Bar. It is predominantly all locals (and rough ones) that despise Dubs, although there are a few Dubs that frequent it, but you wouldn't want to drink in their company either. The lounge is totally different, but not very popular because of the Bars reputation. Recently access to the bar from the lounge has been sealed off. What does that tell you? Its ideal for a quiet drink, very modern and comfortable and the bar food menu is tasty and reasonable. Staff are nice too. Its just a damn shame that the bar drags it down.

Verdict - Give the lounge a fair hearing.

The Bridgewater Inn - My local. The bar is again full of locals and best avoided. Honestly, you won't fit in. The lounge is the spot to be. Great staff, as stylish as any pub in Dublin, great menu (but pricey for bar food) and a clientele thats mixed. A really relaxed atmosphere and run by a family that understand what customer service is all about. This is my favourite pub in the entire Naas area.

Restaurants/Takeaways

Chinese food is in good supply. Stay away from Tien Than on the main street. Trust me. The food is as bad as the place looks. Locals love it and I don't know why. Its had a few closure orders over the years. Chens restaurant is across the road. Not bad for sit down and you can trust the takeaway. Beside that is the "Chipper". Usual Italian affair and you won't really go wrong. There's also a restaurant over Flanagans Mill pub, but I havent tried it since it was changed from the absolutely wonderful, "Shanghai" that was driven out of town over a rent increase. (apparently)

Sallins used to have a wine bar and then an indian restaurant on the same site, but they folded. At this stage the village is flooded with eating out options and remember it competes with Naas and Clane.

If you don't drive, then there is a limited bus service to Naas. But its not great. Otherwise a taxi to Naas or Clane will cost in the region of €12.

If you have the option then choose The Waterways. Its close to the train station and a reasonable walk to the local pubs and restaurants. Its added bonus is the Supervalu on site. A new, modern and well run store with virtually everything you need. Look at it this way, theres one in Naas where I live and I drive out to the one in Sallins!

Best of luck with your search. I hope my post helps you and believe me it hasn't been exaggerated at all. If you move to Sallins you'll probably post here next year saying how accurate I was.:D

Thanks for those posts. I can picture what it's like alright a Dub entering a rural pub where the locals have drank for the past decade. I'm sure if you bring good business the publican won't have many complaints anyway.

Taking into account that the developments haven't been brought up to scratch as promised (not that Ive been there yet) and the current environment I still think the prices around there are too high but ill see how flexible the agent would be.

I do drive, I wouldnt think of moving there otherwise, cos even getting from a suburb of Dublin around the place is arduous, but seeing as the train is a half decent service out that direction it seems to be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Domino's pizza their. That's all the reason i need :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

DW none of what you wrote about ANY of the pubs here is true. NONE of it.

Most of Sallins are made up from dubs so that is just ridicolous.2 of my friends are actually from sallins, rest are from dublin.

EF, I've lived here for 20 years(just moved for work). It's a great place to live. it really is. It's a tiny village. I lived on the clane side of town and could walk to the village in about 7 minutes.

There's never any trouble. Most the people my age(21) go to the mill and them out to naas so it's never really buzzing at night.
    The train is great. 25 mins and your in dublin, we also have newbridge(15 min drive) for shopping too which is great.

The primary school is brilliant. My whole family have gone there!!

Millbank is a nice estate. Is massive so it s a bit of a walk in but like 5 mins max. It's also beside the canal which is nice to bring the dogs down or whatever.

Waterways is nice too but feels a lot more built up or something imo. it does have supervalu and dominos as mentioned though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

I agree with LeahBaby what DWCommuter said is crap. I've lived here for the last 8 years and loved every day of it. As for what DWCommuter said about The Railway...lets just say that its an old bar alright but its a great pub to go into and learn about the history of Sallins. Along the wall they have lots of old pictures of what the village was like in the 1940/1950. If you ask any of the locals in the bar they'll tell you what each picyures represents. Maybe DWCommuter was too busy worrying about who was staring at him!
    Flangans mill I cant comment on as I've only drank in there a few times but I will say that any time I was in there it was great. No sign of any sort of trouble as indictaed by DWCommuter.
    Bridgewater Inn, here i agree with DWCommuter its probally the best pub in the Naas area. What I dont agree with is the comment about over priced food. I ate there only a few ago (New Years Eve) and it was €35 for 2 main courses.
    Transport issues. I dont have this problem as I have a car so I cant comment on this.
    Takeaway / Resturants. I cant really comment here as I would only eat takeaway once or twice in a year. As such my opinion would be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

I own a property in Sallins and I can say that I've had several come to view it who rented in Waterways and they all, without exception, complained about damp. Some also complained about heating prices (storage heaters). Bear those complaints in mind when viewing anything over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I've lived in Sallins since 1995, we moved there from Dublin to "get away to the country" and though I will agree that Sallins is a lovely place to live, it is nothing like the village we moved to. Sallins used to be a picturesque village with three bars, nothing but small time newsagents and a chipper. Now it has ballooned into a "mini-town" that can't contain itself. The traffic problems found in Sallins are ridiculous and also lead to horrendous road surfaces throughout the area.

As for the local attractions, +1 on the Bridgewater, can't comment on Flanagans but have to agree with DWCommuter on The Railway Inn, know Ned well enough at this stage but would say there is a definite local feel to the place, wouldn't say that it is a pub that excludes though. Anyways, stay in the Bridge.

Also, can't forget Mizzoni's pizza, best on the planet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

niallon wrote: »
    The traffic problems found in Sallins are ridiculous and also lead to horrendous road surfaces throughout the area.

Ah, forgot to mention the horrendous traffic problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Kobayashi wrote: »
    Ah, forgot to mention the horrendous traffic problems....

In defence, the planned bypass is incredibly well laid out and if it ever were actually done it would be great but until then Sallins suffers from some of the worst traffic congestion ever seen, every route and avenue is a rat run from a major regional road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jean McCabe

Reply to Derek Wheeler Review dated Dec 2007 on page 1: I wholly disagree with your comments and am actually offended at some of your remarks.
    Who made you such an expert Derek? To call people 'blow ins' is so ignorant and narrow minded. For you to say stupid things like 'Shops - enough of them'. What kind of review is that? Enough in your book is it? Enough is a very subjective word, it might be enough in your narrow little world. I invested in a property in Sallins 2 years ago and found the locals very friendly and object to your negative commentary as it is of no help to anyone. I had a drink in the Railway Inn last night and incidentally, the loos did not stink - the staff were friendly and I thought it was a lovely comfortable village pub - you obviously must have a chip on your shoulder about it. For anyone who read Derek's one-sided comments, keep an open mind about Sallins and don't let one insignificant review put you off.

LeahBaby wrote: »
    DW none of what you wrote about ANY of the pubs here is true. NONE of it.

I suggest you read my post again and then visit the pubs.

seataltea wrote: »
    I agree with LeahBaby what DWCommuter said is crap. I've lived here for the last 8 years and loved every day of it. As for what DWCommuter said about The Railway...lets just say that its an old bar alright but its a great pub to go into and learn about the history of Sallins. Along the wall they have lots of old pictures of what the village was like in the 1940/1950. If you ask any of the locals in the bar they'll tell you what each picyures represents. Maybe DWCommuter was too busy worrying about who was staring at him!
    Flangans mill I cant comment on as I've only drank in there a few times but I will say that any time I was in there it was great. No sign of any sort of trouble as indictaed by DWCommuter.
    Bridgewater Inn, here i agree with DWCommuter its probally the best pub in the Naas area. What I dont agree with is the comment about over priced food. I ate there only a few ago (New Years Eve) and it was €35 for 2 main courses.
    Transport issues. I dont have this problem as I have a car so I cant comment on this.
    Takeaway / Resturants. I cant really comment here as I would only eat takeaway once or twice in a year. As such my opinion would be fair.

I played pool in the railway bar when it had a pool table. I played darts in the place when it had a dart board. I drank there for years. That qualifies me to express the opinion I expressed. I couldn't give a hoot who stares at me anywhere, let alone the railway bar. The place does not get my custom anymore because the standard of customer service was deplorable. Patrons abandoned the place in large numbers in the last 12 months. Its a dump of a pub that suffers from being owned outright by a family that don't feel they have to try anymore.

If you can't comment on Flanagans mill/ restaurants/takeaways then you really should stop your fingers from typing a broad statement such as "what DWcommuter said is crap". If you havent experienced it all, then you honestly can't say my opinion is crap.

Furthermore, I never said the food in the Bridgewater was over priced. I said it was pricey. Based on my own experiences of eating "pub food" elsewhere, thats a pretty spot on opinion. I still eat there, but it may not be ameanable to everyones budget.

• Advertisement

Reply to Derek Wheeler Review dated Dec 2007 on page 1: I wholly disagree with your comments and am actually offended at some of your remarks.
    Who made you such an expert Derek? To call people 'blow ins' is so ignorant and narrow minded. For you to say stupid things like 'Shops - enough of them'. What kind of review is that? Enough in your book is it? Enough is a very subjective word, it might be enough in your narrow little world. I invested in a property in Sallins 2 years ago and found the locals very friendly and object to your negative commentary as it is of no help to anyone. I had a drink in the Railway Inn last night and incidentally, the loos did not stink - the staff were friendly and I thought it was a lovely comfortable village pub - you obviously must have a chip on your shoulder about it. For anyone who read Derek's one-sided comments, keep an open mind about Sallins and don't let one insignificant review put you off.

First and foremost Jean, I never claimed to be an "expert". You decided to put that tag on me, which unfortunetly sets the tone for the rest of your post.

The term "blow-ins", a term that I used, is not ignorant or narrow minded, but based on 21 years of living in the Naas/Sallins area. My own personal experiences are taken into account and the experiences of people who moved into the area. While the widespread migration of people from other parts of the country to areas such as Kildare was fuelled by circumstances generated by the supposed Celtic Tiger, pockets of localised "blow-in" mentality still exist. This is predominately evident in the social fabric of the pub culture. I did not invent the phrase. The first time I ever heard it was as an innocent 16 year old arriving in Naas. Ive heard it many times since. Its a fact of Irish life for many people who bought houses in the Greater Dublin Area in recent years. If you havent experienced it, it still doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. My view is not narrow minded. On the contrary its representative of many young people who suffer from it in the towns and villages that they have been forced into over the last number of years. I talk to people. Thats how I know what its like for them.

"Shops - Enough of them." Yep Jean, I said that, but its hardly "stupid". Its a reality. In my opinion there are enough of them and I referred to one in particular - Supervalu - and praised it.

You have zoned in on a particular comment in my post and failed to take into account the wider social aspects. Then you accuse me of being narrow minded. My "blow in" comment was stated in the context of the pubs in Sallins. If you are a regular pub goer, you will appreciate this. If you aren't then you will fail to recognise it. Considering that the majority of staff in all the shops and restaurants in Sallins are foreign nationals the "local" aspect of things is pretty much irrelevent. But the pubs are still the social fabric in places like Sallins and despite the huge residential development, the village area is still small and local pubs will continue to be the focal point for people moving into the area.

I stand over my original post. It does not paint Sallins in a bad light. I have no chip on my shoulder. I have no agenda, be it political or community based. I only deal in reality. I spend a lot of money in Sallins, based on choice and quality service. I do the majority of my socialising and shopping there. Considering I live in Naas, that says something. But it doesn't exclude me from calling it as I see it. Ask Sallins people how they feel about the development in their village. The same thing happened to Naas 16 years ago. If my 21 years doesn't count against your 2 years, then fair enough. The word "insignificant" doesn't scare me Jean. I don't care. My opinion is representative of many similar villages and towns that have seen bad planning turn them into transport disasters and social experiments. Ive been in them, which is why the term narrow minded, being applied to me, is laughable.

Look here for a small taste of the realities.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371279

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

DWCommuter wrote: »
    If you can't comment on Flanagans mill/ restaurants/takeaways then you really should stop your fingers from typing a broad statement such as "what DWcommuter said is crap". If you havent experienced it all, then you honestly can't say my opinion is crap.
    QUOTE]

Youll find if you check back that I never said your opinion is crap i mearly agredd with the Leahbaby that you opinion is crap. Furthermore I stand by that statment!
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion and thats mine. If you dont like what i have to say you dont have to read it.

seataltea wrote: »
    QUOTE]

Youll find if you check back that I never said your opinion is crap i mearly agredd with the Leahbaby that you opinion is crap. Furthermore I stand by that statment!
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion and thats mine. If you dont like what i have to say you dont have to read it.

Yep you are indeed entitled to your opinion, just like me. However Leahbaby didn't actually say my opinion was crap in any post. If you check back, then you'll see that Im right and it was only you that said it.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less what you think of my opinion and I read everybodies. But when you post a remark like that, well... it really just exposes the fact that you aren't prepared or capable of debating the my points in a coherent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, if you want to squabble amongst yourselves, do it via PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmylawman

John has recently taken on most of the running of the Railway bar and imho has done a really good job on it. He has innovated and is not afraid to try new ventures and take a risk on mixing it up. He introduced a series of live music gigs last Summer which were very enjoyable as well as giving a window to local and further afield talent. He has supported the setup of a golf society with a very enjoyable first outing just before Christmas, including a reception back at the pub after with complimentary hot food tea/coffee laid on for the returning golfers. Though I would visit all the three pubs in Sallins, I would consider the Railway my local and certainly a place to relax and be at ease. Blowin myself but never had an issue over it. Everyone comes from somewhere once you get talking find out the 32 counties are in kildare. Vivian across in the Mill has also put in sterling efforts and has accomodated many good events over the past year or two, race nights, table quizzes, functions etc he puts on a good show and makes sure everyone is looked after. Food options here very reasonable at moment too. Lastly the Bridgewater, classy looking place particularly the lounge, more of a place to go as a couple than for a few casual pints but again just mho. Food usually pretty good but agree would or at least used be considered pricy.

Grocerywise, a Lidl, a SuperValu, loca butchers and a few convenience stores, pretty much has all the basics. Very good medical operation up in the Waterways complex with an enthusiastic and diligent new doctor and also a new clean and helpful pharmacy around corner on same block.

Train service pretty good in the main, last train from town is 11pm but unless you're on the razz that's generally late enough, if you are on a late one there is a Bus Eireann 'Nightrider' service at 1am and 3am to get you home for a tenner.

Local primary school is very good, secondary options in Naas. Very active local GAA and soccer clubs as well as community games, scouts etc etc

Only real downside is traffic, bypass is right route but on hold indefinitely.

Oh yeah, and out of nowhere we have suddenly aquired two new coffee shops in the last three months, with apparently another about to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I think your over 11 months late with your information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cosmolady

dont no if u ever moved to sallins as this is a yr late, but if u are a girl go check out john in the railway inn pub he is hot and a real gentleman!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Sallins? H
    Flanagans Mill - A troubled pub that is leased by the owner. It has had many many operators over the last 10 years. Stay out of the Bar. It is predominantly all locals (and rough ones) that despise Dubs, although there are a few Dubs that frequent it, but you wouldn't want to drink in their company either. The lounge is totally different, but not very popular because of the Bars reputation. Recently access to the bar from the lounge has been sealed off. What does that tell you? Its ideal for a quiet drink, very modern and comfortable and the bar food menu is tasty and reasonable. Staff are nice too. Its just a damn shame that the bar drags it down.

Verdict - Give the lounge a fair hearing.
    D

I would agree with everything you said apart from the statement about the mill.

I stayed away from the place for years over the reputation it got.

But when I visited it I changed my mind completely.

Now my wife child and myself go there most sundays after dinner in boss byrnes .For a drink and a chat.
    The people I find to be down the earth and very friendly. And with the child friendly atmosphere and Trad session on sundays I find its the place for me.

I have never been there late night though.

Its more a working mans bar while I find the bridgewater full of men wearing suits and driving to the place in Mercs and Beamers. ( with respect ,not really my sort of people.)

I guess its different strokes for different folks...

The train is a supurb. I use it most weeks, but rairly in rush hour.

We have a large new supervalue, Dominos pizza, a couple of hair dressers and barbers.
    Top class creche . Acorn and Cocoon.
    Tesco Extra store in construction and a 10 min walk away.
    Very nice cafe beside the canal
    Butchers and newsagents
    GAA and Soccer Pitches.
    Naas leisure Center with quality Gym and swimming pool is 5 min no hassle drive.
    And a very friendly community.

I moved here from the North. And have to say. I would like to stay here for good.

We do need the Bypass that has been in the works for years. Traffic is slow during rush hours.

There is brand new houses with solar power panels unsold in Old Bridge. Worth looking into. Serious price drops in there.

Advertisement