Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Irish Bank to be Nationalised!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Nice. looks like recession Stephen is here to stay

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought it was called Recession Cowen?
    Stupid, misleading After Hours...

;)

An File wrote: »
    I thought it was called Recession Cowen?
    Stupid, misleading After Hours...

;)

has there been a name change? i thought they decided on Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Not nececarily a bad thing, at least the healing can begin. The sooner we stop avoiding the fact that were in a downward spiral we can stop it and start to climb back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Waiting for Lenihan's and Coughlan's positive spin on it.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

engrish? wrote: »
    Not nececarily a bad thing, at least the healing can begin.

Has there been a lot of healing in the US, Iceland and UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Last out, shut the door. This is fair bad. Bank of America is in a spot of bother too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Former chairman Sean Fitzpatrick must do time for this. We're all now paying back for his greed. Id lock him up & throw away the key.

jimboddb wrote: »
    Former chairman Sean Fitzpatrick must do time for this. We're all now paying back for his greed. Id lock him up & throw away the key.

rly? i'm not bovvered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

But in Ireland, things are done rather differently. he will get a golden handshake, keep whatever he's gained and retire on a massive pension.:mad:
    But yiou are right, he should be jailed,lose all his benifits and if he ever gets out in his lifetime, have to do with a standard old age pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

+1

They locked up that poor bastard in dublin city council for all the rezoning(spelling?) bollix and to be fair he should have been locked up ,but do we dare lock up the WbANKERS , "ehh I lost 4 billion mr (c0ck face)cowen"

Mr Cowen "sure we'll just tighten our belts like charlie in the armani shirt)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Graham2

But imo the last two lines of that article were key to the whole thing.
    The Government statement said shareholders' rights would be respected, and the legislation will outline plans for compensation.

The previous plan for the government to take a 75% share would have reduced the current shareholders' holdings to 25% of what they were. Instead, now they'll all be "compensated".

Translation: the government will use our tax money to make sure that their shareholding cronies aren't out of pocket and in return we get a rundown useless bank that they can sink more and more of our money into propping up, whilst giving highly paid positions to still more of their cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Graham2 wrote: »

The previous plan for the government to take a 75% share would have reduced the current shareholders' holdings to 25% of what they were. Instead, now they'll all be "compensated".

Translation: the government will use our tax money to make sure that their shareholding cronies aren't out of pocket and in return we get a rundown useless bank that they can sink more and more of our money into propping up, whilst giving highly paid positions to still more of their cronies.

Independent assessors will determine if Anglo has any value. If so, of course the shareholders should get compensated. You can't have the government going around stealing your property"for the good of the nation"! If you own land that's needed to build a road on, you get (a lot of) compensation as part of the compulsory purchase order. Shareholders believe that the comany is worth something (not a lot given the share price;)), but still worth something.

P.S. Who exactly are these "shareholding cronies"? The vast majority of people who own shares are regular Joes (be it through their own small private holding, an investment fund, or their pension).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Fcukin thick slack jawed ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

What, I own a bank now? Sweet. Where's my money? :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Saint wrote: »
    Where's my money? :p
    It's in Bill's house and .....eh...... Fred's house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

It's in Bill's house and .....eh...... Fred's house.

What the hell are you doing with my money Fred!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Limerick.mcgrat

Is there anything in existing company law which says what happens here to the shares people own? It other words have they made a legal disposal of the shares at this point or what is the position?
    yayamark wrote: »
    Just announced on RTE News

Shares suspended.

More to follow at 9pm news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0115/banks.html

More Good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Is this the rage against something you don't really understand thread? 'Cos it looks like one, but you can never be sure these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this country is in so much trouble:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Graham2

I also do horoscopes . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDtYwqo6g84&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Old thread is old.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This thread started when we were poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This thread started when we were poor.

And now we are all rich again, phew I'm glad that spell is all over, there it was bad there while it lasted. Fair play to Fianna Fail for rescuing the country and getting us booming again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Anglo nationalised?! When did this happen!?

Advertisement