Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with parents..

Options
  • 15-01-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

So my Dad's a vet and all along I was considering veterinary, inherit the practice and all that.
    Right now I'm not exactly sure if I even want to do it anymore, maybe do a Science degree and consider it at a later stage. I was even willing to repeat if I didn't get it first time, which I probably won't.
    My mother, who was the one who set the idea of repeating into my head (willing to pay for a study school for a year) has basically gone bat **** crazy, screaming stuff about the recession at me, how I won't get a job in anything but a profession, and that I definately won't get in to veterinary on a post graduate basis... Any advise/condolences..?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No advice here, but plenty of condolences! My mother became a raving lunatic for the entire year before my Leaving Cert. I think it's a fairly common occurence. You have my sympathy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

You do what YOU want to do. Pressure from your parents isn't helpful. It's your life, choose the path you want to take yourself.

Honestly, some parents seriously need to keep their noses out of their childrens' business!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Leaving cert is tough and so are life decisions. You have to make sure you will be happy in your college course + your future career. However you must also consider the current economy. The days are over when you can study something just out of interest. Taking over a successful family business is a fantastic opportunity and should be taken seriously, but it must also accomodate your needs.

Best of luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Thanks. What's worse is that my brother did arty subjects that interested him(he's a struggling comedian/writer currently on the dole) and he'd at least be an established teacher if he had listened to her. She's using that as leverage over my decision. Bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

If she is going on about the economy going to ****e,just tell her that less people will be buying + mollycudlin' expensive dogs and cats and other animals. . . . and that is the truth.

• Advertisement

That should learn er. But no, she's right about the whole profession thing, but why get a job just cause it'll guarantee money..?

One more question- where the **** did I put my last cream cracker..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

You gotta take the economy/job prospects into account when you're choosing your course but most important thing is to choose something you like/are interested in/enjoy! There's no point spending years in college at something you don't like because you won't succeed at it! I've been there and it just doesn't work!

I just sat on a cream cracker. Might that have been yours?

conf101 wrote: »
    You gotta take the economy/job prospects into account when you're choosing your course but most important thing is to choose something you like/are interested in/enjoy! There's no point spending years in college at something you don't like because you won't succeed at it! I've been there and it just doesn't work!

I just sat on a cream cracker. Might that have been yours?

I probably would be happy in veterinary, but I'd like to have piece of mind regarding the other areas of science that also interest me...

And it depends- how much lint is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The economy will(hopefully anyway) have picked up by the time you finish college. I did a broad college course which gave me time to pick what area i wanted to go in. I believe its better that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ignore your crazy mother, do what you want to do. If you start in a course having doubts, when the going gets tough, you may find it hard to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Honestly, some parents seriously need to keep their noses out of their childrens' business!

Kids need direction until they are at least 25 .................

Listen to your parents .............they do know everything

Ignore your crazy mother, do what you want to do. If you start in a course having doubts, when the going gets tough, you may find it hard to continue.

Yeah. I've decided that I'll put it number 1 to shut her up, and if I do decide to change my mind- which prob won't happen, I can change it around after the LC anyways...

Just the main business of her wanting me to repeat if I don't get it 1st time- it's not an issue of being young becuase I'll be 19 this June...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah... getting you to repeat isn't nice. Especially if you get the points to do something you also want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    it's not an issue of being young becuase I'll be 19 this June...

Friends of mine have done degree, PhD and gone back to another primary. You are young.

Science should give you accelerated entry into Veterinary, so you're steering in their direction without being hamstrung by the huge changes in perspective that you're twenties will bring. Enjoy the LC, it's not that bad really!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Age is only a number!

I'm repeating and I'm 19. I will be 20 going into college =/

uberwolf wrote: »
    Friends of mine have done degree, PhD and gone back to another primary. You are young.

Science should give you accelerated entry into Veterinary, so you're steering in their direction without being hamstrung by the huge changes in perspective that you're twenties will bring. Enjoy the LC, it's not that bad really!

No, I mean in the sense that some parents are over protective and just don't want to see their kids going off. My mother was like that to my brother. He ignored her. I'm suffering because of that...

Yeah, I'd love to do that. I'd actually like to go to Edinburgh doing that, which is cool cause I can't apply this year because I don't have the subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sofox

It's a bit of a mistake to judge your future career on current economic conditions. Any course you take will be 4 years minimum, who knows where Ireland will be at that stage.
    For college, I took something that interested me, at the time there was huge hype about it, when I applied, there was a crisis in that area and the applicants dropped drastically (making the points easy). At the moment I've finished that educations. I've had thoughts about whether I still want to pursue a career in this area, but it still interests me and it is still something that could get me a job even now.

The lesson here is that job markets shift greatly over time and can be very different when leaving college (think of all the people training to be accountants and laywers over the last few years).

In my case, I chose something that interested me first but also was good for getting a job (well, I hope so, I've started a job search recently). I hope you can achieve something that's somewhat similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's also a mistake to judge your future career on what your parents did, or a course you can get into because you will get a certain level of points.

Do what YOU are interested in. There is nothing more soul-destroying as having a job you hate, regardless of how much it pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks. What's worse is that my brother did arty subjects that interested him(he's a struggling comedian/writer currently on the dole) and he'd at least be an established teacher if he had listened to her. She's using that as leverage over my decision. Bitch.

yes, but would your brother have been happy as a teacher, no point being a teacher if he doesn't want to teach, he would resent being in the classroom each day and that would transfer into his teaching. I'm not saying he's better off on the dole but there's no point studying something you're not particularly interested in just because there's jobs in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Leaving cert is tough and so are life decisions. You have to make sure you will be happy in your college course + your future career. However you must also consider the current economy. The days are over when you can study something just out of interest. Taking over a successful family business is a fantastic opportunity and should be taken seriously, but it must also accomodate your needs.

Best of luck with your decision.

You don't have to consider the current economy. You have to predict what the economy will be like in 4 years after you've done what you've done.

And pick what you want. As has already been said it's your life. Do what you want. You have the power as you fill out your CAO so ur parents can't make you do anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Gloom wrote: »
    Age is only a number!

I'm repeating and I'm 19. I will be 20 going into college =/

I was 19 doing my LC in 08, accepted a course that my mam and aunt really wanted me to do - I wasnt really sure it was my 3rd choice, lasted about a week in it. hated the course and knew it wasnt right for me :( so anyway i left, worked for a while but then my contract wasnt renewed after christmas - stupid recession:mad: so on mon im starting a part time business course in NCI to see if its worth putting business down on my CAO for this year, so ill be 20 going to college too:) like you say age is only a number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

dragonfly! wrote: »
    like you say age is only a number

Yep age is only a number. Im 23 and in second year in college :o

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

You have to predict what the economy will be like in 4 years after you've done what you've done.
    I don't know sounds a bit dodgey trying to predict the future the economy can change hugely and unpredictabily in 4 years. Most Economists can't predict what it will be like in 4 years never mind leaving cert students.So long as you do something you like and it isn't completely useless, like Ancient Greek, you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I don't know sounds a bit dodgey trying to predict the future the economy can change hugely and unpredictabily in 4 years. Most Economists can't predict what it will be like in 4 years never mind leaving cert students.So long as you do something you like and it isn't completely useless, like Ancient Greek, you should be ok.

True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

So my Dad's a vet and all along I was considering veterinary, inherit the practice and all that.
    Right now I'm not exactly sure if I even want to do it anymore, maybe do a Science degree and consider it at a later stage. I was even willing to repeat if I didn't get it first time, which I probably won't.
    My mother, who was the one who set the idea of repeating into my head (willing to pay for a study school for a year) has basically gone bat **** crazy, screaming stuff about the recession at me, how I won't get a job in anything but a profession, and that I definately won't get in to veterinary on a post graduate basis... Any advise/condolences..?

I'm the mother of a 5th Year student and I empathise with but don't justify your Mum's feelings. Been there done that. Hate myself when I find myself getting emotional :rolleyes:

"Know thine Enemy" is very sound advice when going into battle. At the moment you're in an emotional battle with your parents. There are two forces determining how your Mum feels at the moment:

1. The need for you to maximise your talents and maximise your future happiness and earnings

2. Her own stresses: you doing the leaving certificate is stressful enough but this is compounded by the deepening economic depression and the realisation that for the next few years at least, we're all doomed!!

As a teenager you are programmed to rebel (Take a quick look at Plato's Republic if you want proof that this isn't a modern phenomenon) and it would appear you have been the dutiful offspring so far. Not rebelling, conforming to the family firm. Now that you are rebelling, even slightly, you're scaring your Mum. All the "what if's" are surfacing... What if... you decide to opt out completely and become a vegan freetarian or whatever.

As the others have said, you need to do whats right for you, because you will be living with this decision for the rest of your life. I was forced into studing something in college by my parents because they considered it far more "middle class" than the field I wanted to go into (parents both middle-class professionals with an emphasis on respectability). I did disastrously in college, because my heart wasn't in what I was doing. It took a while and a few false starts before I got my confidence back and went back to college to study something I wanted to. Now I have a Masters in this field and my Mum is finally getting to grips with the fact that I am an individual.

Science is a great back door for Veterinary. You may not get exemptions but it will certainly help you in your studies.

Good Luck, and I promise, your Mum will calm down. She really does have your best interests at heart. Honest ;)

tindy7 wrote: »
    tell your mother to cop on bcos she hasn't worked for years and is only a 2ndary school teacher in the pres in athenry, also i know your father and he is completely ran of his feet, vets have a terrible quality of life. if you really want to become a vet look here www.studyhungary.hu . the though of you moving to hungary might knock some sence into your mother and maybe get her to like the idea of you staying in galway.

Who is this Sherlock? Yeah, I looked it up- I'll prob try and repeat before going there though... I have thought about it and I'd go about running the practise differently than Dad cause he over does it... But then again that is looking at it optimistically...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

vets have a terrible quality of life.

Is that why you put it on you CAO then?

Very unhelpful post I must say, how dare you speak about the OPs mother like that.

Btw OP, I'm not sure what kind of a relationship you have with your mother but maybe you could sit down with her and you could both do up a pros and cons list of doing a veterianary/science degree.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

vets have a terrible quality of life.

Thats true, if by terrible quality of life you mean wealth and flexibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

his mother thought me, im dont really intend on doing veterinary just hoping for spa management in athlone, there is a huge dropout of the veterinary profession. not from the course

wtf whose mother thought who?

• Advertisement

you get payed €250 for a hour or twos work operating in a rainy field wheras your medical counterparts get €160 for a 10 minute consultation in a nice warm office

Yes, but do you not understand that not everyone wants to be a doctor? Some people want to be a vet; it's not that complicated really.

Advertisement