Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnacles Hostel?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering about Barnacles Hostel on Quay Street?
    If anyones been there or if any of the locals can tell me a bit about it, twould be much appreciated.
    Thinkin of goin to Galway for 3 nights after the Lc
    Also dya reckon, after ya pay the deposit you can, either send the money on in bits or pay up front when ya get there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jammyc wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering about Barnacles Hostel on Quay Street?
    If anyones been there or if any of the locals can tell me a bit about it, twould be much appreciated.
    Thinkin of goin to Galway for 3 nights after the Lc
    Also dya reckon, after ya pay the deposit you can, either send the money on in bits or pay up front when ya get there?

www.hostelworld.com is your friend. Up to date reviews from people who've stayed there (the majority of locals won't have). Clear instructions re deposits and cancellations and the like.

Never pay the full price for something like a hostel before you actually turn up ... just in case you get a better offer along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

JustMary wrote: »
    www.hostelworld.com is your friend. Up to date reviews from people who've stayed there (the majority of locals won't have). Clear instructions re deposits and cancellations and the like.

Never pay the full price for something like a hostel before you actually turn up ... just in case you get a better offer along the way!
    Deadly, thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I don't know about Barnacles, but I would highly recommend Kinlay House.

Nice place. Can't really go wrong with the price either. Won Irish hostel of the year in recent years also. Dirt cheap and plenty of cereal or whatever you are having in the morning. Not stingy like in hostels I have stayed in over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't know about Barnacles, but I would highly recommend Kinlay House.

Definitely agree.

Don't know anything about Barnacles but Kinlay house is amazing. I stayed in there when I came up for a couple of days before moving to find an apartment. It's gorgeous.

I'm sure Barnacles is fine too though - there's enough competition in Galway and the standard is set high.

Edit: Oh, and the "deposit" you pay to hostel world is actually a booking fee. They take the whole bit, the hostel doesn't get any of it. So if you cancel (even with sufficient notice) you won't get your deposit back because hostel world don't return deposits. Also, if you cancel too late, the hostel will charge you for your first night's stay - it's in the terms and conditions you agree to when you book off of hostel world.

Advertisement