Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT ...anything else ??

Options
  • 15-01-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hello...

Ive just been on the revenue.ie website and used the VRT calculator, and much to my surprise it doesn't come too much for the car i'm after.

So i just wanna know is there any other charges/fees i have to cough up when getting a car from the north??

Thx P.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't worry too much as their prices are fairly wrong. Find out the VRT, pay it and then appeal it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kbannon wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much as their prices are fairly wrong. Find out the VRT, pay it and then appeal it!

you mean it will be more expensive than what is calculated on the website?

It could well be - it depends on the car.
    Many German cars are subject to scrutiny with the manufacturer to see what extras are on it (just to squeeze the last penny out of you)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

if you vrt a car, you then have to pay the tax on the car straight away. you may be elligible to get a refund if there is any UK tax on the car from the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What's the situation with VAT and importing from the UK. I presume that you don't pay VAT as the vehicle is for export. Do you then have to pay VAT when you bring it into this country (at the higher rate of course!).

• Advertisement

There is a detailed thread about importing a car - please read it!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

new car under six months fill out 411uk export doc with garage (if do) ,get tax off ,come down home ,go into customs in the docks pay vrt and 21.5%vat of invoive price on top ,vat rates are calculated 21.5% of invoice price ,exchange rate of customs jan is .944

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kbannon wrote: »
    There is a detailed thread about importing a car - please read it!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

yes i know but its too bloody long and complicated

i just want in a nutshell (if thats possible):o

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If the car is 4 years old or more, the VRT you pay is what the website shows. That's been my & friend's experience, & he brings in a car nearly every 2nd week, literally.
    When you say the VRT was not that much I am assuming it's an older car. VRT, the flight over/ferry costs, HPI check & a set of number plates are the only different costs that you face when buying in the UK as opposed to Ireland. Although in the current climate a HPI check should be done here too with all the financed cars here that may not be paid back.
    I suggest you read the definitive thread linked above for other tips. It is not as easy to return the car once you've bought it so you need to ensure you do everything reasonable to get the car checked out appropriately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement