Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would i go about creating this? Help?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was told over on the Graphics forum this may be a better place for my quandry?!!!
    Anyways, I'll tell you what i'm seeking to do.smile.gif

I want to create a live gameshow experience for a local club i'm involved in to raise funds.
    As part of the live gameshow, I want to hook my laptop up to a large plasma screen for contestents and the audience can see how the game progresses like Deal or NO deal or who wants to be a millionaire type thing, so they can see the monetery values etc, on the big screen? If would need some functionallity to it, able to take the money segments off as they are lost - just like on Tv?
    Do you get me? Hope so:pac:

How would i go about creating this?
    what programme to use?
    Would power point work or do i need to go flash?
    help and recommendations please.

Thanks,

NIF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms....apologies to the mods if this isn't suitable for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Using Powerpoint and Excel would seem to be the quickest and cheapest option.

You create an excel spreadsheet with each of the bits of data that you want in various cells and charts. It does any necessary calculations that need to be done on the numbers you provide.

When it's behaving as you want, then click on the cell or chart and choose copy.

Go to powerpoint (I'm looking at 2003 so menus will vary),
    Click Edit, Paste Special.

At the left of the resulting dialog, you will see a radio button to click for "Paste Link". Click this, then click OK.
    Now updates to fields on the excel sheet, running on one screen, will update in powerpoint running in slideshow mode on the other screen.

I don't know an easy way to trigger a powerpoint animation after an update, if that matters to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There are a number of options.

As above, you could "fake" it using powerpoint, probably using a PC in dual head display.

The next option would be some form of gameshow software, kind of like the "gameshow" part of buzz (PS/2), ie the ability to have players' names, track scores, show leaderboards etc. AFAIK some of the party quiz games (like buzz) allow you to run then in free-question mode. There are also various (free & commercial) quiz-host type software available - but I dare say it would take a while to trawl through it all and see if any of it would work for you.

for example: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/game_show_software_software/

Then you can find almost full systems (and maybe they can be rented?) which would include buzzer functionality and contestant microphones, all of which display on a plasma and feed sound to a PA.

for example : http://www.triviaparties.com/other_game_show_buzzer_models.html

I guess it depends on exactly what you want, how "professional" you want it, what game exactly you want to host, and how much (if anything) you're prepared to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭.Bob

um, try scratch, its fairly easy point click stuff,

hey you can even download a pre-made who wants to be a millionaire and change it around!

(you can search for loads more on the site)

scratch:
    http://scratch.mit.edu

game example (you can download the code and change it)
    http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/reaghsst1/90503 - click the tiny green flag to play it :P

Advertisement