Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My runs

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:03pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭

Hey. Off the cigs 3 months, and don't want the belly to take over. I haven't ran in 5 years, so took the plunge tonight. Ran 4 laps around Monread Park in Naas tonight, in 30 mins. Not bad for a first timer, and my lungs feel like they're working properly now. Gonna try keep it up, ever second day and hopefully get faster and run a lap or 2 more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Good man. Enter a race so that you have a goal to aim for if/when it gets tough. Let us know how you're getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Still early days for races but just work on consistant running couple of times a week at least. The best of luck with it and i hope you keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

Fair play
    try and get up to 30 mins 3 times a week for a month. You will be shocked how good you feel. Just dont push it.
    Keep up the good work

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Playing badminton twice a week aswell, mondays and thursdays. Stamina up alot. Only running twice a week, did sunday and tonight this week, may get out friday again. Taking me normally 30 mins to do 3 laps. Tonight I pushed on, and have taken 5 mins off my time. 3 laps in 25 mins, very happy with the result, but had to stop running and walk for a bit on every lap to get breath back. Going to kep this up, healthy eating too. I've lost a bit of weight, but didn't start running to lose it. Just want to feel fitter, etc.

Wanted to do the raheny 5 mile on sunday, but didn't make it up. To be honest I don't think I'd be ready for a run like that. However, I did see the imra leinster league. I'd be up for that. Starts in April. Had a good walk around Ticknock on saturday aswell. Was fairly cold, a few icey patches aswell. Good to get the fresh mountain air aswell.

I'm not great with the diary. So I'm gonna update it now. Have kept up with 2 runs a week. Still only doing 3 laps of the park, doing it alot faster now, than when we started. We're not really motivated enough to do it slower and run more laps. I wouldn't be great at pacing myself, and kinda fly off. I slow down when I see that herself is not immediately behind me, so slow to a gentle jog till she catches up. I fly off again when I get bored, and slow to both catch my breath, and for her to get back up to me.

Still playing badminton too. Have improved loads since I first went up. 3 people commented last thursday how much I had improved, and that's a real bonus. Everyone likes to hear something like that. Played my best game ever in the first doubles game, pity I couldn't continue playing like that for the rest of the night. Had one of my worst games ever on the same night. I suppose it's how it goes sometimes!

My goal with the running and badminton was to get fit for the imra leinster league. I'm a complete virgin when it comes to running. I'm going to keep up the badminton, it's great for stamina. First race is on 22/4, and I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Well done beertons. In the long term you will only improve your running significantly by putting more miles in, at a slower pace. Building up more of an aerobic base and developing those slow-twitch muscles are the key to improved performance over all distances.

Give it a whirl.

Thanks for the advice man!

Still running, just not great at updating this. Have decided to join the imra, and do the Leinster League. First run is Wednesday evening. Have a friend going with me who has the same experience as me, none! I hope I won't chicken out either. I'll stick up my bib number when I get back from it.

Bray Head tonight, it took me 61 mins. Bib number 545. It was a real eye opener. I need to train on a hill or mountain, running on the flat is no good to me. I was nearly dead on the way up. It'll do me good for next week though. Whu ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

beertons, would you like us to move this to the training logs sub-forum?

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

beertons wrote: »
    Bray Head tonight, it took me 61 mins. Bib number 545. It was a real eye opener. I need to train on a hill or mountain, running on the flat is no good to me. I was nearly dead on the way up. It'll do me good for next week though. Whu ha!

Well done. You're on track. Next thing you know you'll be reading 'feet in the clouds' and using 'the lore of running' as your toilet book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

i havent read feet in the clouds, and the lore of running seems a bit heavy for toilet reading :) id definitely recommend 'ultramarathon man', i couldnt put it down during the first 1/2 of the book. if youre ever lacking motivation check it out, well done and keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Beertons. Glad you enjoyed the run out.

Must have gotten a head cold from Bray Head, damn it anyway. Training has been easy since last wednesday, although badminton the day after was a good work out, no pains in the legs and I expected them. Wore a tracksiut at badminton areir, and sweated a god bit of the cold out of me. I hope I keep a better pace tomorrow. Am travelling solo aswell, my running buddy is off to punchestown. Boooo.

Howth was yesterday and I ran it in 65:14. the 2 laps were a killer, although it was easier second time round. And I was running on my own for a good part of it, big gap between the guys in front and the guys behind. So with no motivation, I walked parts. Very tiring, but sprinted when I saw the finishing line. Overtook a guy too, sorry if you're reading.

Kinda got lost on the way up to Hellfire tonight, but made it still in plenty of time. I think it's mad the amount of people who cycle to it, I find it hard to drive home. Ok, so maybe not that hard.

Anyway, the run was good. Had to walk up the slopes, but booted it down when the hills were in my favour. Had to take the glasses off 'coz of the rain. Oh how I miss them, fell once. Had enough in the system to run at pace for the last 1000m. Don't have an official time yet, but my goal today was to run a sub 50. I think I did it too!

Edit: Ran it in 37:58. I'm gonna sleep well tonight!

Advertisement