Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOES ANYONE WANT TO MAKE PREDICTIONS??

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Im very interested to see who thinks what will come up this year, I dont mind what subjects people want to offer their opinion on.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

Im very interested to see who thinks what will come up this year, I dont mind what subjects people want to offer their opinion on.:D

English Poetry: John Keats & Elizabeth Bishop.

History Document Question: Montgomery Bus Boycott.

Geography: Human interference with soil characteristics & the formation of 1 Irish land feature.

Irish (ordinary): Clare sa speir and An Gealt

I bet absolutely NONE of this will come up now that i opened my mouth! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

English: Keats and Walcott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

English: Bishop and Walcott
    Macbeth Kingship/Theme of evil or supernatural

Art: Impressionism/Post Impressionism
    Gothic/Romanesque(I know, vague)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leavingcert09

I agree with everyone of them especially

english: bishop

geo: all what daaaan said

irish: ghealt and faoiseamh

bus: employment equality act and ratios could be a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

English: Montague, Bishop, Walcott

Business: Consumer Info Act 1978, Law of contract

Physics: Boyle's Law, Electron

Irish: An Mhathair, Cearrabhach, Bhean Óg

Geo: Deforestation, Global Warming essay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Anyone mind giving reasons for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

cautioner wrote: »

English Poetry: John Keats & Elizabeth Bishop. --> neither have come up in a while and Bishop seems to crop up once every 3 years.

History Document Question: Montgomery Bus Boycott. --> the whole obama scenario as first US black president

Geography: Human interference with soil characteristics & the formation of 1 Irish land feature. --> They are massive parts of the course and I just have a hunch will come up

Irish (ordinary): Clare sa speir and An Gealt --> Because they know if they put anything harder on, everyone will fail! + they come up almost every year. :pac:

they are just my thoughts....wouldn't rely too much on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Irish(Higher)-Sceal:An cherrabhach maccaba,an bhean og(possibly just wishful thinking with theese two though)
    Prose:da m'bfeider aris dar gcumann
    An Mhathair
    Urchill an Creagan
    An chead drama
    Stair na Gaeilge-Gluaiseanna
    -Ogham
    -Canuinti
    -Fianniocht
    -Analla
    -amhran
    -Colaiste Lovain
    -Bealoideas
    -Gaeilge ins na mean
    -an ghealteacht

Reasons:4th year of the course so theyll probably try and put in poems that ahevnt been done before and the o'shearcaigh ones are still fairly contraversial.aswell an t-oilean caused murder last time it came up due to the sexual nature of it.the stair topics are whats been predicted having looked over past papers since 1993.

dont really know for the rest of my subjects.The recession will more the likely come up in the orals and ive a feeling the american election will come up in some reading comprehension but this is just me guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Biology: Something on Darwin --> Reason, 150th year of publication of OoS and 200th birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I'm thinking Darwin will come up somewhere too.

Irish:

OL Poems: Gealt, Bímse Buan, Jack
    HL Poems An Mhathair, Bá mb'fhéidir arís
    Prose: An Bhean Óg, Cearrbhach Mac Cába
    Stáir: Something to do with Peig Sayers cos it's some anniversary of hr death/birth

English: Bishop, Longley

Anyone have any predictions for what the main work in music will be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

History Document Question: Montgomery Bus Boycott.
    Don't forget that this year is the 40th anniversary of the Moon Landings.
    cautioner wrote: »
    English - Bishop/Rich - a female poet has always come up. They would be doing the dirt if they left one off this year with only two on!

Montague/Longley - haven't come up in a while. If either of them three don't come up I'll never post here again!

Economics - Imperfct Competition and Oligopoly - Labour and Capital - Budget - Keynes (Keynes v Monetarism)

History - Green Book - Economic Policies of CnG or FF or both (has never been asked directly before) - Belfast Blitz (didn't come up last year and at least one case study must appear each year) - Rise of 2nd Sinn Fein Party - De Valera's contribution to Irish Politics.

Blue Book -Mussolini - Anglo Irish developments during WW2 - Technology of Warfare

Any French/Business predicitons would be very helpful? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

K4t wrote: »
    Don't forget that this year is the 40th anniversary of the Moon Landings.

English - Bishop/Rich - a female poet has always come up. They would be doing the dirt if they left one off this year with only two on!

Are they known for doing things like that to commemorate certain anniversaries..?

And you might be able to leave Rich because she was up last year...

Guys, be careful with trying to predict English poets. A poet may not have come up in a while, but that is probably because the poet has not been on the syllabus. The list of poets change every year.

My reasoning?

Keats is a favourite from the old course. He is also the only 18th century poet on this course this year.

Walcott is a new kid on the block.

Oh yeah, and one of the Irish poets, but after Mahon coming up last year, I'd be focusing on Montague and Longley.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

English: Bishop, Walcott, Longley and Montague, thats all my teacher is doing, however I will be doing an extra one myself just to be sure

leesmom wrote: »
    English: Bishop, Walcott, Longley and Montague, thats all my teacher is doing, however I will be doing an extra one myself just to be sure

Substitute Walcott for Bishop and that's what I'm focusing on. I have taught Mahon as well but have told my students to focus on the others.

Music - Seachanges has never come up as the main question.
    My teacher seems quite confident that the harmony will be in a minor key, and also mentions frequently that a melody in 2/2 time has never come up, albeit it's far easier than, say, 6/8...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

The logical way to go about the poetry section is to have the 3 Irish poets studied ( Montague, Longley and Mahon ) and the 2 girls ( rich and bishop ). Im seeing an increasing amount of posts about just having 2 irish poets done. It makes no sense!

Fair enough teachers have their favourites but I would like to imagine that this would be the most logical way of tackling the section?

Its what we have done in class anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

surely if you are going to be focusing on 5 poets it doesn't matter which ones you do? One of them will have to come up.

Bishop & Longley would be my predictions for what its worth.
    Also we have been told that going by past perfromances over the years over three quarters of the students will answer Bishop, so maybe concentrating on Longley may be worth it?

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Fair enough teachers have their favourites but I would like to imagine that this would be the most logical way of tackling the section?

No teacher would jeopardise her students' futures based on her favourites!

What I've done is leave out the women and I've taught the 6 men. Larkin and Mahon came up last year (btw, this is no guarantee as the 2008 and 2009 courses have 4 poets in common) so my class are working on the other 4.

Des 23 is right, the majority of students will answer on the old favourites. Someone like Walcott would be a refreshing read for an examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

If Keats comes up I'll definitely write an answer on him, apparently 90% of students avoid that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hmm, anyone smell a rat?
    Methinks the SEC are tryina figure out what not to put on! :pac:
    Nah, kiddin.

Was told today that Honours Irish essay will more than likely be about the hard times to come, economically etc...

Will be back with more during the week.:p

EDIT: Just remembered, Business: Monitoring the Business and Assesing its Liquidity ratios are very very topical and extremely likely to come up, according to out business teacher, hes never wrong. So many A1's outa that man...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

it will be sunny for every day of the leaving cert and then it will rain for the rest of the summer

pathway33 wrote: »
    it will be sunny for every day of the leaving cert and then it will rain for the rest of the summer
    hehehe :D

About the only sure prediction in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If Keats comes up I'll definitely write an answer on him, apparently 90% of students avoid that question.

Because Ode To A Nightingale is soooooooooooo long, no one could be arsed learning him:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I love the theory with some History students that just because their is a Black President taking office that we will get the Civil Rights Movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

deemark wrote: »
    No teacher would jeopardise her students' futures based on her favourites!

What I've done is leave out the women and I've taught the 6 men. Larkin and Mahon came up last year (btw, this is no guarantee as the 2008 and 2009 courses have 4 poets in common) so my class are working on the other 4.

Des 23 is right, the majority of students will answer on the old favourites. Someone like Walcott would be a refreshing read for an examiner.

You do know a female poet comes up EVERYVERY year right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

exactly some correctors have in excess of 200 scripts (I think so anyway, correct me if I'm wrong). A little originality can go along way. Students are being encouraged to think outside the box in every course.
    There are even awards for the most interestingly worked applied maths solutions I think. Anyone can learn off something that is put in front of them. Being a bit more individual about things may offer an edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Jammyc wrote: »
    Hmm, anyone smell a rat?
    Methinks the SEC are tryina figure out what not to put on! :pac:
    Nah, kiddin.

I know you were joking, but the exams have been set since November!

So there's no way anything we say can change it...;)

Fad wrote: »
    Because Ode To A Nightingale is soooooooooooo long, no one could be arsed learning him:pac:

We didn't bother with that one, we just did all the sonnets and Ode on a Grecian Urn, fingers are definitely crossed for Keats to come up :pac:

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    I love the theory with some History students that just because their is a Black President taking office that we will get the Civil Rights Movement.
    Yes, it does make quite a lot of sense. I would still study Vietnam and the Moon Landings (40th anniversary) too though.
    Stev_o wrote: »
    You do know a female poet comes up EVERYVERY year right?
    It's not compulsary though. They can not put on a female poet too!

Advertisement