Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rallying all MMA fans

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

With UFC 93 this weekend it was inevitable that Joe Duffy would have a show about it and after this it was inevitable that there would be a thread in After Hours with the usual 'ban bloodsports' & 'they're all just gay man huggers' type of comments. Defend your sport of choice! I hope this is a valid reason for a thread, I assumed that some of you would like to go over to AH to defend MMA as a legitimate sport.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

And feed the trolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

ah your right. I just can't help it arguing with some of the know-it-all's on AH when they are on about something I do know about!

Valmont wrote: »
    ah your right. I just can't help it arguing with some of the know-it-all's on AH when they are on about something I do know about!

The standard of trolls is very low IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

lol i didnt want to post in it i really didnt

but **** me some people are absolute cretins XD

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Had a quick look at the thread on AH...

Liked this one:
    MMA is a legal. It contains disciplined athletes ( and Quinton Jackson )

:D

• Advertisement

I just can't help it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

What is AH?? Hookk me up I want to have an argument today!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Lads,
    I love the UFC, going on Saturday - just cant wait.
    I can however see both sides to it. If soembody was to walk into a room and see two fighters laying on teh ground for 2-3 mins and leave they would just think it is a gay sport for gays with no skill at all.
    It takes time to understand what these guys are actually doing on the grand, the more I watch the I appreciate that, one slight move in the wrong way and BANG you in an arm bar - game over.

These people that make quick, snap decisions based on very little information just annoy me, and what is worse there is no talking to them, try and explain what each fighter is doing they just dont listen.

These guys put in SOOOO much effort and training, I would argue probably more than any other sport out there.

I can also see the down side to this - what message is this sending the kids.
    Guys gets knocked down and his opponent jumps on top of him and continue to hit him. I have no problem with this as I know the ref is there to protect the fighters but do you think this would have a negative impact on kids that get into fights in the school.
    In my day if I was in a fight, if somebody got knocked to the grows the fight was either over or you allowed the guy to get back up again.
    I dont think this happens these day, if you go down your going to get stomped on.
    In no way am I blaming the UFC for this, not at all, but do you think it 'glamorises' it s small bit.

I know there is no way of policing what people do after they watch the UFC, a boxing match, some wrestleing, or even a hollywood movie.

I think the debate could go on for along time without an answer - people that think the UFC is more barbaric than boxing... ahh 15-25 mins of fighting that can sometimes have no shots to the head compared to 36 mins of constant hits to the head - just doesnt make sense

Anyway I just realised this this post is one long rant with no real point - sorry about that.

Rock on joe Rogan this evening and the main event tomorrow.
    Lets hope its a good show, the fans give it everything so we can get some more action happening here.

Lads,
    I love the UFC, going on Saturday - just cant wait.
    I can however see both sides to it. If soembody was to walk into a room and see two fighters laying on teh ground for 2-3 mins and leave they would just think it is a gay sport for gays with no skill at all.

So the sport should cater to homophobes? Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

dear god. just in the middle of listening to the joe duffy intervew that was on about UFC. it's absolutely unbelieveable the ignorance that is present in it. here's the link

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-150109-46m22s-liveline.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I would man, but I have a hard enough time with all the arguements I get in, in the Liverpool forum!

I'm trying to cut back!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

just listening to the joe duffy show here - UNREAL
    Many people have died in the ring
    He has seen teeth go flying across the ring.

Such muck

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

He has seen teeth go flying across the ring.

Such muck

well

there was this one (also happens to be the first ever UFC match) :

lol imagine what they wud all think if they only saw the early UFC's!

Sm0ke wrote: »
    lol imagine what they wud all think if they only saw the early UFC's!

Most people's opinion of the sport IS formed by the early UFCs and how bad of the PR job the former owners of the sport ultimately did.

Advertisement