Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money well Spent ???

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Well i here there's experts here :) I'd like people to tell me did i spend my 130 well.

After the Christmas holidays i promised myself a new graphics card for my slimline Dell C521, I picked the Galaxy Geforce 9600gt low profile card.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/images/news/Hardware/Galaxy_Geforce_9600_GT_LP_01.jpg

I also had to upgrade my PSU so i bought this aswell.

700W.JPG

* 700watt Silent PC Power Supply Unit.
    * Comes with:
    6 x peripheral (molex) connectors,
    2 x floppy drive connectors,
    1 x 20/24 pin mainboard connector,
    2 x SATA connectors,
    2 x 6 pin PCI Express connectors,
    1 x 4pin 12V connector.
    * Max Outputs:
    12V line 1 (20A)
    12V line 2 (20A)
    3.3V (36A)
    5V (40A)

Will these items play the games i want to play.

Crysis, Gears of war Fallout 3 & dead space

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

nani17 wrote: »
    Well i here there's experts here :) I'd like people to tell me did i spend my 130 well.

After the Christmas holidays i promised myself a new graphics card for my slimline Dell C521, I picked the Galaxy Geforce 9600gt low profile card.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/images/news/Hardware/Galaxy_Geforce_9600_GT_LP_01.jpg

I also had to upgrade my PSU so i bought this aswell.

700W.JPG

* 700watt Silent PC Power Supply Unit.
    * Comes with:
    6 x peripheral (molex) connectors,
    2 x floppy drive connectors,
    1 x 20/24 pin mainboard connector,
    2 x SATA connectors,
    2 x 6 pin PCI Express connectors,
    1 x 4pin 12V connector.
    * Max Outputs:
    12V line 1 (20A)
    12V line 2 (20A)
    3.3V (36A)
    5V (40A)

Will these items play the games i want to play.

Crysis, Gears of war Fallout 3 & dead space

Whats your cpu, ram and motherboard? there could be a bottleneck, but a 9600gt should be ok for those games, can't play on the highest settings but should look ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

Details Here
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_c521?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core

Ram 1gb (I know i need an upgrade)

Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphic GPU.

All other stuff you need to know is on the link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Considering its a low profile machine I think you did well with the money. You'll play all those games on max settings apart from Crysis, but that's a story everyone's used to. What size is your monitor? If its something like 19" even Crysis would get by on mostly high settings. You do need more ram before you can do this however, and if your OS is Windows Vista, forget even trying to play games at all without more. Another thing is that it's quite likely you wouldn't have actually needed a new power supply, the stock one is pretty good. You'll ideally want a 4gb kit of ram if you're using Vista, and ram is pretty cheap at the moment. What speed is the CPU?

As for Ram i only have 1gb two 512mb where is the cheapest and right one for me.

My monitor is 19" so that's good enough for me and I am running vista basic.

As for CPU speed haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

• Advertisement

Cool thanks

I already ordered the the PSU the tracking thing says it's in Ireland since 12am today so maybe tomorrow. As for the card i don't know i think my brother has the tracking number for that.

So that ram should do my Dell Dimension C521 :D (40 euro :eek:) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SOGGY1

About that new PSU you brought, does it fit internally or externally. I have the same system and upgraded to a 9600GT and i am trying to follow the requirements of at least 400watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

All power supplies are fit internally I taught?

yeah. Some fit perfect internally as well as externally. Simply i mean the C521 comes with its limitations when pertaining to PSU an Graphics because of its size. I just bought the Galaxy 9600GT but cant use it (well i didnt try and dont want to) because i have a 280Watt PSU. It is so hard to find a decent PSU about 400watts( i dont even know if there is one) at least to run my Video Card. :(. Most people that i know that have the 9600GT run an external PSU which i think is messy. "The PSU is internal but it has to change whether internally( if there is 400watt internal psu for the C521) or externally". Can someone help me out here. I have the card in the box but cant use it up to this point

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

SOGGY1 wrote:
    I just bought the Galaxy 9600GT but cant use it (well i didnt try and dont want to) because i have a 280Watt PSU

What are the PSUs specs? Post them or a pic of the ratings label on it. Odds are that 280W PSU is more than enough for a 9600GT; those only require 5-6A from the 12V rail and Dell likes making sure your PSU has plenty spare for these kind of occasions. Manufacturer recommended PSU ratings are a joke as they try to cater to idiots who buy Atrix 650W PSUs for €~5 and then act all surprised when it promptly blows up the second they hit it with a 300W load. The important thing is to find out how much 12V current your PSU can supply and compare that to you current PCs parts.

And the simple fact is that slimline systems almost always rely on semi-standard SFF PSUs such as mATX and TFX (some ppl call them FlexATX, but that's something else) that are very hard to get hold of, due to limited demand in recent systems. As a result there are few "modern" ones available that focus on the 12V supply - odds are that you already have a decent model in the Dell.

• Advertisement

Hi Solitaire. I dont really know much about pcs but the specs you asked me for, here they are. If something is missing ill add the additional. Ok here goes:-

DC OUTPUT: 280W
    INPUT: 100-120V~/6A 50-60Hz
    (Here is in chinese)200-240V~/3A 50-60Hz
    OUTPUT: +5V ---- / 15A MAX -12V ---- /0.5A MAX
    +5V(FP) ---- / 4A MAX +3.3V ---- /10A MAX
    +12V ---- / 16A MAX (something here is in chinese)

Combined power on the +3.3V and +5V rails not exceed 108W
    Max. continuous total DC output power shall not exceed 280W
    Ambient: 50 Dgs MAX

Uh dude. See if that helps. Havent a clue what i just wrote :confused:. Thanx man would really appreciate you come up with a solution. I forgot to mention that even if i use the 280W PSU it may not work. Reason being the 9600GT came with two power adapter cables and the PSU only has 1 Power connector to facilitate one. And even if one fits except the other the cables that came with the Video Card is way too short. I know your wondering if one adapter cable fit how is it possible that it is short and cant reach. I disconnect the power adapter cables from the Video Card and experimented without the Video Card in place. Please reply.:) Also i didnt upgraded my PC with other appliances since i had it that would probably lower the PSU's supply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

So the max 12V power is 196W (12V x 16A)... not great :( Then again, I doubt mobo+RAM+HDD+DVD+fans would hit 70W on the 12V rail (not being able to fit that much stuff into a slimline case actually helps for once :o) so there may be some leeway there :)

As for the cable issue I'm surprised that you don't have a two-way Molex splitter left over anywhere - even if you don't I doubt it would be very expensive to buy one from PC World or somwhere. That might also give you the extra stretch needed to reach both Molex connectors on the 2xMolex>PCIe cable that came with the Galaxy.

Hi guys. Nothing to worry about. I just bought a new Omega ATX PSU 600watts. I am currently using it as external use. That was the ONLY alternative as bad as its sounds. Thanx again.

Advertisement