Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom official:Music piracy 'good for rock stars'!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

pakblue wrote: »

That might protect you from the ISP, not the music industry.

I "imagine" the music industry has a custom bittorrent client.
    They search for torrents of their music files and download them, all the time logging all the IP addresses of those they connect too. (encrypted or not) Then they can log who is seeding and who is downloading.

Encryption just stops an ISP from working out what your network traffic is (torrent traffic), it doesn't stop a valid torrent client program from connecting and giving the game away.
    Anyways, it would be fairly obvious to an ISP what you were doing based on your download stats from the month, eg. 30Gb usage.

PeerGuardian sounds okay, it stops known IP address ranges of anti-P2P organisations from connecting to your bittorrent client.
    But there's nothing stopping those people from using their home connections.

Anyways, I'm just saying neither encryption nor Peer Guardian 2 are 100% protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayhartjnr

if you used zippyshare rapidshare etc could they find out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

rayhartjnr wrote: »
    if you used zippyshare rapidshare etc could they find out?

The music industry so far has tried to take on Rapidshare in Germany and so far have proved unsuccessful. Rapidshare just move their servers out of the legal empowered countries.
    As for they also having a direct go at Rapidshare users, I have seen no cases so far but others might correct me on this (and are welcome to, if only for my own "wanting to know too" reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I very much doubt anything will change people have been downloading for years i doubt they will go on a mass spree of disconnections especially during the oncoming recession. Plus what's to stop anyone from just changing over once you get disconnected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

That might protect you from the ISP, not the music industry.

I "imagine" the music industry has a custom bittorrent client.
    They search for torrents of their music files and download them, all the time logging all the IP addresses of those they connect too. (encrypted or not) Then they can log who is seeding and who is downloading.

Encryption just stops an ISP from working out what your network traffic is (torrent traffic), it doesn't stop a valid torrent client program from connecting and giving the game away.
    Anyways, it would be fairly obvious to an ISP what you were doing based on your download stats from the month, eg. 30Gb usage.

PeerGuardian sounds okay, it stops known IP address ranges of anti-P2P organisations from connecting to your bittorrent client.
    But there's nothing stopping those people from using their home connections.

Anyways, I'm just saying neither encryption nor Peer Guardian 2 are 100% protection.

Encrypting your torrent is completely worthless if the tracker your using (assuming it's bittorent) is run by the record companies - a tactic they apparently commonly use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

This is just the start of "Big Brother" policing the net with automated search robots, next it will be censorship.

You're still full of crap. They are perfectly entitled to set their own rules and regulations ON THEIR SERVICE. The same reason you don't get to demand the bus stops at the exact location you want unless it has a bus stop there. You don't even know how your super magic search robots work. As you showed clearly a few weeks ago in another post where you claimed encryption was easily cracked as well.

Advertisement