Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel cheated?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

i was happily looking forward tro voting in the last GE. unfortunatley the government had better ideas and in their wisdom decided to hold the elections in the middle of exam week so as to make sure as few students as possible voted

How would that impair a student's ability to vote???

'I would've but I couldn't be arsed' is actually not restricted to students though. Its applicable to a huge chunk of the electorate who never bother. Ireland's electoral turnout records are utter pish.

i was happily looking forward tro voting in the last GE. unfortunatley the government had better ideas and in their wisdom decided to hold the elections in the middle of exam week so as to make sure as few students as possible voted.

Last GE I was a student sitting my finals but I still went and voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Myth wrote: »
    Last GE I was a student sitting my finals but I still went and voted.

thats good and fine for the two of you, but i hadn't the transportation, nor the time (it would require an overnight stay back at home) and many people i talked to were in the same boat as me. it was clearly a delibirate act at subterfuge (sp?:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

thats good and fine for the two of you, but i hadn't the transportation, nor the time (it would require an overnight stay back at home) and many people i talked to were in the same boat as me. it was clearly a delibirate act at subterfuge (sp?:rolleyes:)

Why did'nt you register to vote where you actually reside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If I had taken out a 100% house loan, remortgaged it, taken two more loans for extra cars and maxed up on three credit cards, I'd probably feel 'cheated' but then again, I'm not stupid with money and would never have got myself into so much debt in the first place. People blaming the govt for all the loans they've been able to take out doesn't wash, in my opinion.

This state isn't the only one experiencing a recessive economy. When it was good, it was great. When it bottomed out, it sucked. I would really worry about anyone in high debt.

To be honest, I think the foreign investors in the Rep.Ireland have been aching to up sticks for the past few years and cut down their costs by relocating in the newer EU states, Asia and the likes. Its worrying for sure but I'm not sure there's too much that can be done to stave the exodus. I hope Intel's subtle stream of negative performance releases don't lead to another Dell, for one. They transformed where I live but would certainly hit hard if they bolted.

The problem is there are so many of those fookwits that they have helped take down the entire economy and will take you with them.
    May I add that if anyone feeling 'cheated' didn't actually vote in any of the election then moaning about the govt would be quite hypocritical, wouldn't it?

Is that the election held on Thursday to try to stop working class people voting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

com1 wrote: »
    Why did'nt you register to vote where you actually reside?

i did. thats the problem:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Cheated? hell no! I never voted for FF, never have, never will.. Disgusted that they are still in power despite YEARS of being sheisty feckers and constantly voted in by what I can only imagine are knuckle dragging "my family always votes FF" morons? Yes. very much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

We're gonna need bigger roads lads for our bigger cars that we're gonna park in our bigger drive ways.

Mary we're not going to give you to much money for the healt service cause only the young and old get sick. the young cant vote and the old well most of them are to frail to get out to vote. So they'll have get used to them em Trollies sure half are off them are off there Trollies lads hey. .

Tell ur man in the dept of Ed that he wont need a lot cause half of em couldnt be arsed to vote and the other half well they think we are doing a great job anyway, sure havent there ma and da got 3 houses now on the rental market. And sure the weeins in primary school sure as we know from the health system they cant vote.

The Dept of Ag now lads that'll be a tricky one lads. them farmers can right whores so i tell ya lads what ever they ask for we'll send over to brussels and let them deal with it. Charlies over there so it'll look like we're doing sumtin for em.

Lads in order to keep em poor fools voting for us we must lower the taxes, after all there thes ones working so they'll be voting for us if we give em more money to spend on ****e they dont need but thats ok cause we'll get that back in taxes too. Jaysus lads sure arent I Brilliant hey. Dont worry lads theres a load of yanks that iv convinced to come here and open a few of there factories, aye i gave em a 5/10 yr tax break. sure there delighted and sure when its time for em to go sure ill be going too so they cant be blaming me.

Now lads build like fcukers build build build that way it will look like we're doing sumtin. Clean up O'Connell Street lads cause when the yanks come over we want ta show we have a bit dosh aye that'll do it. Take them beggars off the streets in around the center there, cant be havin em think we dont care about em. We dont but sure if there not there they wont ask any questions.

I hear theres a load of poles and russians looking to come here ta do a stint on buildings. That'll be great for the public relations in the EU. Make me look good again. jaysus lads im the best.

Thats the Leagacy of me lads now for the Genius Bit. Your going to love this lads.

Im off. i hear theres a few banks on the far side of the atlantic are going in for a bit of hard time. doesnt sound to good for me. sure we all know if there in trouble the rest of us are fcuked.

So here, Cowen come here ya been a good loyal little pup for the past 10 yrs i think you deserve whats left of it. me arse cowen ur getting this cause im off to c the to young fellas across there in Mayo Socket and Rocket or is it Enda and the Missus.

So to you the fcukin idiot that voted for me (writer included) thanks for the job dont give a sh1te that i made a mess of it. Sure im coming back in a few anyway ill be running for the presidents job. sure with my charm and great looks and the balls to run for it, theres a great chance i ll win.

See ye all soon

All my love

Bertie:P

brim4brim wrote: »
    Is that the election held on Thursday to try to stop working class people voting?
    Another lame arsed excuse.

If the polls are open from early morning to nighttime. How does this stop "working class people" from voting? :rolleyes:

Face it. Irish people are lazy when it comes to elections hence the woeful turnouts. F**k all to do with limp noodle conspiracies against students and the 'working class'...

thats good and fine for the two of you, but i hadn't the transportation, nor the time (it would require an overnight stay back at home) and many people i talked to were in the same boat as me. it was clearly a delibirate act at subterfuge
    How about this?
    Go register to vote where you live. You could have done it in the time it took you to log-in to this forum, read a post and replied... :rolleyes:

Subterfuge? Sitting on hands and arse more like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Another lame arsed excuse.

If the polls are open from early morning to nighttime. How does this stop "working class people" from voting? :rolleyes:

Face it. Irish people are lazy when it comes to elections hence the woeful turnouts. F**k all to do with limp noodle conspiracies against students and the 'working class'...

That's b*ll*cks in many cases people are working such hours that they wouldn't be able to get to the polls and there are many other reasons to have it on a day most convenient for most people to attend.

There was a huge number of complaints and requests by people to have the election on a Saturday since there is no reason why it can't be done then why isn't it done on a Saturday or Sunday or both or a 24 hour open poll day?

The answer is the government don't want a large turnout especially not from the people most heavily taxed compared to their take home pay. It is in their interests to try to ensure a poor turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

jim o doom wrote: »
    Cheated? hell no! I never voted for FF, never have, never will.. Disgusted that they are still in power despite YEARS of being sheisty feckers and constantly voted in by what I can only imagine are knuckle dragging "my family always votes FF" morons? Yes. very much so.

So who did you vote for?

IMO there is not much of a choice tbh.
    That's b*ll*cks in many cases people are working such hours that they wouldn't be able to get to the polls and there are many other reasons to have it on a day most convenient for most people to attend.

With the longest working hours in this country is 12hrs so if you dont have the time to vote then I can only assume your travel time to and from work is approx 2hrs which would prevent you from voting.

Whose fault is it that you travel up to 4 hrs a day to and from work daily?

Not mine nor the government

There was a huge number of complaints and requests by people to have the election on a Saturday since there is no reason why it can't be done then why isn't it done on a Saturday or Sunday or both or a 24 hour open poll day?

The answer is the government don't want a large turnout especially not from the people most heavily taxed compared to their take home pay. It is in their interests to try to ensure a poor turn out.
    I'm "heavily taxed". If there was an election here when I was in-country, I'd still manage to vote.

If a general election was held on a saturday here, there is nothing that will show given the past behaviour of the Irish electorate that the turnout would be higher. Nothing.
    In fact, I'd say it was safe bet that the turnout would be even worse.
    Hypocrisy at the polls is hardly a new phenomenon here.

Advertisement