Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrating 1916 in 2016

Options
  • 16-01-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

So in 7 years we will celebrate 100 years since or nation stood up for itself and those brave men strove for independence

any opinions on how to celebrate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

We could stage a bloody coup against our oppressive overlords, knowing full well we'd get slaughtered but willingly martyring ourselves. Oh, oh... But to make it even awesomer, to form the majority of our troops we'll rabble-rouse some gullible idealists, mostly working class, who don't know they're heading out to die. Let 'em think we can win! haha... silly peasants. I plan on going down in history!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

1916 created our nation

It is part of our history

any chance of some intelligent input?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

So in 7 years we will celebrate 100 years since or nation stood up for itself and those brave men strove for independence

finish the job they started and add the occupied six counties, then we really would have something to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

As Gaeilge?

Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais would be proud.

Besides it would get rid of a lot of 'republicans' - ie bags of scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Big Parades in Dublin, Cork, and the larger towns. Make a decent movie of it maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Sadly I think most of our people have forgotten what brought this nation into being.....

Whatever the celebrations are they should include family members of each or the men who signed the proclamation.

A big memorial wall with the name of every single man who died (gave their life) on it,placed somewhere prominent...not the fcuking arsEhole of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

They should turn Boland's Mill into some sort of museum. It's the biggest waste of space in the city.

Better still, get it back up and running as a biscuit factory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

not yet wrote: »
    Sadly I think most of our people have forgotten what brought this nation into being.....

Whatever the celebrations are they should include family members of each or the men who signed the proclamation.

A big memorial wall with the name of every single man who died (gave their life) on it,placed somewhere prominent...not the fcuking arsEhole of nowhere.

How is Arbour Hill the ar$ehole of nowhere?

Theres a massive f*cking wall with the proclamation written on it and the signatories of those brave souls and the godsdamned gravestones in front ot it.

Its at the rear of the National Museum of Ireland, thats what, 5 minutes from the city centre, practically beside Hueston station, theres EVEN a luas stop there!!! And rightly so its quite a peaceful place to spend a few moments contemplating their sacrafices. Ive done 2 guards of honor there at Easter and its a far more moving experience than standing outside the GPO under all the spotlights cameras amid shouts of "Free State B@st@rds!" as we march past.

And keeping with the thread, yes there should be a massive parade in the major cities.

Maybe we could slice the 6 counties away with a massive saw and gently push them off into the atlantic, watching and fondly waving goodbye to all the trouble they caused, as Ulster bobs off into the sunset. Thatd be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The really Big Event in 2016 (regarding Irish loss of life) will be the commeration of the battle of the Somme, this is where my thoughts & my emotional allegiance will be that year. Thankfully the South is now grown up enough to accept the massive loss of life that was inflicted upon the Allied & German forces at the Somme in (1916), my emphasis being on the Great loss suffered by Irish men in particular ~ my Grandfather being among them.

Irish casualties in 1916 were truly terrible (death on an industrial scale) the likes of which Ireland had never seen before, and I'm not talking about the 'one hundred' or 'two hundred' Rebels who died in O'Connell St (Dublin) or in other parts of this Country, but the Tens of thousands of Irish men who fell on the Somme that very same year.

This post is not meant to 'knock' the memory of the Rebels, (if thats what most people want to commerate then so be it) I am just pointing out where the massive loss of Irish life happened in 1916 ..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Camelot wrote: »
    The really Big Event in 1916 (regarding Irish loss of life) will be the commeration of the battle of the Somme, this is where my thoughts & my emotional allegiance will be that year. Thankfully the South is now grown up enough to accept the massive loss of life that was inflicted upon the Allied & German forces at the Somme in (1916), my emphasis being on the Great loss suffered by Irish men in particular ~ my Grandfather being among them.

Irish casualties in 1916 were truly terrible (death on an industrial scale) the likes of which Ireland had never seen before, and I'm not talking about the 'one hundred' or 'two hundred' Rebels who died in O'Connell St (Dublin) or in other parts of this Country, but the Tens of thousands of Irish men who fell on the Somme that very same year.

This post is not meant to 'knock' the memory of the Rebels, (if thats what most people want to commerate then so be it) I am just pointing out where the massive loss of Irish life happened in 1916 ..............

The men who fought in Dublin in 1916 fought for Ireland. The men who fought on the Somme fought for the British Empire. That they died like cattle in the service of evil may bring a tear to the eye but their deaths were meaningless.

• Advertisement

How sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The really Big Event in 1916 (regarding Irish loss of life) will be the commeration of the battle of the Somme, this is where my thoughts & my emotional allegiance will be that year. Thankfully the South is now grown up enough to accept the massive loss of life that was inflicted upon the Allied & German forces at the Somme in (1916), my emphasis being on the Great loss suffered by Irish men in particular ~ my Grandfather being among them.

Fair enough but why that post here? This thread is about the 1916 Rising.

That is a whole different topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

by 2016 the country will be run by the IMF and the ECB so I don't see any point in planning 'independence' celebrations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

How sad.

Yes it is very sad that so many young Irish men died like cows in a slaughterhouse in the service of an evil and genocidal empire. The role this country played in the British Empire is a national shame that we need to confront, make a mea culpa and move on from.

The fact that the Irish were the only effective troops on the first day of the battle just makes it sadder.

Fair enough but why that post here? This thread is about the 1916 Rising.

That is a whole different topic.

OK, I shall butt-out of this topic ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

OK, I shall butt-out of this topic ..................

Entirely up to you.

This thread is about the 1916 Rising.

If you wish to debate the Irish soldiers in the Somme then by all means start up a new thread. Otherwise this thread will degenerate into a "British Empire" bashing exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

How to celebrate?

Personally, I don't go for showy parades and television spectacles. Frankly, I think the rebels of 1916 were misguided and irresponsible and paved the way for a lot of unneccessary violence and suffering, and didn't achieve anything that wouldn't have been achieved peacefully.

That said however, I like bravery and appreciate it from all quarters, so I'll raise a quiet glass to a series of courageous men. Regardless of their politics, those who died in idealism have respect for that alone. So I'll be raising my glass to those who died in Dublin and in the Somme and everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

How to celebrate?

Personally, I don't go for showy parades and television spectacles. Frankly, I think the rebels of 1916 were misguided and irresponsible and paved the way for a lot of unneccessary violence and suffering, and didn't achieve anything that wouldn't have been achieved peacefully.
    I disagree, Redmond never got anywhere. It was the 1916 rebels who set off the physical force nationalism and without the War of Independence (Collins), we would never be a Republic today. However, I think Brugha and De Valera were misguided in rejecting the Treaty.

It was Collins' 'Step by Step' theory that made Ireland a Republic.

How to celebrate: Knock down that f**king spire and erect a statue of Padraig Pearse reading the proclomation and an Irish flag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

K4t wrote: »
    Knock down that f**king spire and erect a statue of Padraig Pearse reading the proclomation and an Irish flag. :)

+10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

A jolly big piss-up is in order IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

I my personal opinion, if a United Ireland has not been achieved by 2016 then we should not celebrate it at all. Anything other than the Republic they envisioned (politically, socially and economically) is merely lip-service to the sacrifices of the men and women of 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

They should re-enact the scenes outside the GPO using actors in costume complete with pyrotechnic explosions and gunfire.

That would be cool!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I my personal opinion, if a United Ireland has not been achieved by 2016 then we should not celebrate it at all. Anything other than the Republic they envisioned (politically, socially and economically) is merely lip-service to the sacrifices of the men and women of 1916.
    A United Ireland was/is never going to happen. Simple as that. However, it was the bravery of the 1916 rebels that got us where we are today. They started it off. Home Rule was getting us nowhere and they decided to take action. They're courage and bravery led to the Treaty and the Republic we have today. They did achieve something. But nobody could have achieved a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

How to celebrate: Knock down that f**king spire and erect a statue of Padraig Pearse reading the proclomation and an Irish flag. :)
    Of all the rebels, Pearse was the biggest knob.

At least the others weren't totaly intent on martyrdom. Pearse was no better than an islamist terrorist.

If (and I believe it will happen) there are to be celebrations I'd prefer if they were commemorations for all those that died, particularly the inncocent Dubliners caught up in the whole thing, but including the rebels and army/policemen who died during the fighting.

It would be entirely appropriate to commemorate the Somme at the same time given the similar profiles of those men who persished. A very sad year all round was 1916.

Yes we got our republic and look how well we run it

I disagree, Redmond never got anywhere. It was the 1916 rebels who set off the physical force nationalism and without the War of Independence (Collins), we would never be a Republic today. However, I think Brugha and De Valera were misguided in rejecting the Treaty.

It was Collins' 'Step by Step' theory that made Ireland a Republic.

I strongly disagree. The Home Rule Act was already on the statute books and was to be enforced at the close of the war in Europe. Physical force nationalism was not necessary. The war of independence was equally unnecessary as without the ramifications of the violence of 1916, a peaceful path would have been pursued in the aftermath of the war. As regards not being a republic now? Firstly, escalating violence prompted the Government of Ireland Act 1920 which caused the partition of the north, meaning when the negotiations took place in London, it was absolutely out of the question that the north would be conceded, because it would not be legally possible without the acquiescence of their parliament at Stormont; therefore the war of independence, leading from the rising in 1916, is responsible for partition as we know it now. Then of course, the British empire crumbled in the aftermath of the two wars. There was never any question that it could remain as it was financially destitute and morale was low, an easy time for countries to leave the empire with the minimum of fuss. Had a peaceful political path been followed at this point, it would have been economically a good time to propose a secession from the empire and would have been far more acceptable to the British administration than at any other stage, and we could have easily avoided the problem of partition as without an arms race and escalation of forces, hostilities wouldn't have mounted to such an extent as they did. So, if you ask me, it would have been far more expedient to pursue a course of peaceful political action, which would have avoided partition and led to probably a unified free state in the twenties and a completely separate republic in much the same timeframe as the the southern parts of the island declared a republic. Violence, in this case, was only a hindrance to the aims of those who practised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

1916 should not be celebrated as it was an act of terrorism. At the time the majority of Dubliners would have agreed with this, don’t forget only years before they were waving the union jack during the visit of the king, and the mocked the prisoners as they were paraded down the street.
    All that you will be celebrating is that the British army over reacted by shooting the rebels.
    Save the celebrations for a more worth while event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Morphéus wrote: »
    Maybe we could slice the 6 counties away with a massive saw and gently push them off into the atlantic, watching and fondly waving goodbye to all the trouble they caused, as Ulster bobs off into the sunset. Thatd be fun :D

This coming from the man who says he does guards of honour over the remains of those who fought and died for a 32 County Republic. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

roadwars wrote: »
    1916 should not be celebrated as it was an act of terrorism. At the time the majority of Dubliners would have agreed with this, don’t forget only years before they were waving the union jack during the visit of the king, and the mocked the prisoners as they were paraded down the street.
    All that you will be celebrating is that the British army over reacted by shooting the rebels.

Thats complete crap tbh. The rising is important because it was when the republic was proclaimed. It was a direct confrontation with the british forces and not delibratly attacking random civilians which is more in line with a terrorist act. Some of the countries future leaders participated (ie de Valera, Collins etc) people who might have never risen to prominence otherwise. And it led to many people in Ireland becoming firm supporters of an Irish republic.

Home rule may have happened, it may not. If it had we would have been still subservient to the british rather than a free nation of equal footing.

FTA69 wrote: »
    This coming from the man who says he does guards of honour over the remains of those who fought and died for a 32 County Republic. Disgraceful.

The army is apolitical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

roadwars wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of this (the Jackeen waving their butchers aprons for brit royalty and spitting on those heroes) and how the 1916 fighters were classed as terriosts by the same type of client that would have called those who carried on the fight the PIRA terrorists,
    Save the celebrations for a more worth while event
    As I said on post 4,the job they started is only half done, we should celebrate when it is finished.

Advertisement