Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Panel Door Thickness

Options
  • 16-01-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Need to replace a 6-panel apartment door that has been damaged in an attempted break-in.

The existing door is 44mm thick. Rather than replace it with a similar door that will suffer the same damage in a year or two when the culprit returns, I am wondering what there is in the way of thicker/heavier doors that will stand up to more punishment.

A shop guy told me on the phone today that there is just one thickness of exterior panel door but I am sure that there must be different grades available. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Yes you can order a a thicker door at a joinery shop. It may not be stock and will have to be made to order.

You may have to replace the frame as well as the rebate wont fit the new door.

I solid 44 mm fire door would take a serious bit of force to damage it. Im talking sledgehammer force.

If you are worried out security why not upgrade you door with Dead locks and add a hinge.

Advertisement