Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power line Networking

• 16-01-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

There are two kinds:

1) Broadband via Electric company cables. Easily disrupted by Mobile Radio and causes lots of interference.

2)Plug top blocks for home network via the mains instead of WiFi. Uses similar technology to DSL. But DSL is on twisted pair wiring so does not radiate much and uses filters to connect to NON-DSL gear.

The Homeplug / PLT systems affect LW, MW, SW, CB bands.
    They affect AM, SSB, PSK31, SSTV, RTTY modulation and modern Digital Radio such as DRM.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/15/bt_vision_interference/

Read the comments.

Maplin regularly sells equipment with CE mark that may be dubious legality in Ireland such as 5.8GHz Video Senders.

All the Home Mains Networking products may have CE marks but tested inappropriately and thus illegal. They ARE transmitters and Mains wiring radiates like an aerial as it is not twisted pair like ethernet or phone cable.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

watty wrote: »
    There are two kinds:

1) Broadband via Electric company cables. Easily disrupted by Mobile Radio and causes lots of interference.

I've read a bit about PLT and the problems it causes, I guess this thankfully never took off here. At least I don't know of any providers in Ireland that offer broadband over power lines, is there any?

2)Plug top blocks for home network via the mains instead of WiFi. Uses similar technology to DSL. But DSL is on twisted pair wiring so does not radiate much and uses filters to connect to NON-DSL gear.

The Homeplug / PLT systems affect LW, MW, SW, CB bands.
    They affect AM, SSB, PSK31, SSTV, RTTY modulation and modern Digital Radio such as DRM.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/15/bt_vision_interference/

Read the comments.

Yeuch. I've seen those devices, the whole idea of piggy-backing something onto the electricial cable in a house seemed a bit crude to me, once I get my HF antenna sorted out I'll know if anyone nearby is using a set of those.
    Maplin regularly sells equipment with CE mark that may be dubious legality in Ireland such as 5.8GHz Video Senders.

All the Home Mains Networking products may have CE marks but tested inappropriately and thus illegal. They ARE transmitters and Mains wiring radiates like an aerial as it is not twisted pair like ethernet or phone cable.

Not that this is an excuse, but in the case of Maplin, I think it's just pure ignorance. They used to sell 27/81 CB equipment here as well, maybe they still do. I don't think the notion of Ireland having some different laws to the UK really dawns on big UK companies in general.

But what does Ireland do to enforce this? When guards are down the local pub buying dodgy boxes for themselves, such minor infractions as selling 5.8GHz video senders becomes a non-issue really. We're great for making up laws, we're not so good at implementing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

Should anyone in my neighbourhood start screwing up HF with their home-plug-network transmitter, I'll be tracking them down with a loop and AM Rx.

I work in Maplin, and constantly berate those power-line adapters and refuse to sell them.
    I studied and paid for my license. Goddamn if someone's going to splatter all over my HF :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

It would seem that I now have that problem , so tomorrow evening I am off with my K3 and see if I can locate the source , Weak signals on 160 and 80 are out when I beam to the North West , I will let you know how I get on

John

Do. Let these people know that they are in contravention of the Wireless Telegraphy Act...transmitting on our licensed bands! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

What sort of a beam are you running on 160m ????

les45 wrote: »
    It would seem that I now have that problem , so tomorrow evening I am off with my K3 and see if I can locate the source , Weak signals on 160 and 80 are out when I beam to the North West , I will let you know how I get on

John

• Advertisement

4 Sq on 80 mts and Phased Verticals on 160 ,on 80 I am using a DX Engineering DXE-TFS4-80-P hybrid coupler with 4 full size verticals , on 160 a pair of short verticals 27 mt long and a simple system for phasing using delay lines .

John

nothing short about a 27m verticle you must have a good bit of land to play with.

i do listen to the G net on 3799 some mornings but never can hear the dx i used to think the were making it up till recently :D

maybe i need one of these

M7.JPG

Not at all , a pair of short verticals will work very well , the work is in the ground system , Les G4OFY and Wynn GW4RIB are using 35 foot verticals over good ground systems , by ground systems I mean the greater the number and the longer the radials you use at the base of each verticals the more efficent the system will be . There are a number of very good information sources , by far ON4UNs book is regarded as the bible for low band dxing . As for the yagi ,I am waiting for my good friend and close neighbor to put up a 3 el for 80 , now that is going to be some fun.:D:D:D

80m isn't really my buzz tbh more into 6m and up. maybe towards the end of this year i will try to get a verticle up for 80m my back is sore thinking about digging in radials allready :D

next few projects are to get my tower finished and i also want to put up a delta loop for 40m.

would be intrested to know more about the 3 el on 80m by pm if you dont want to give too much away here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually that is an interesting site. That is one of 7 towers.

Not only do the Finns do Fibre to Home for price of our stupid Mobile Phone based NBS but have mad Amateur Radio stations
    http://www.radioarcala.com/nbspStation/tabid/189/Default.aspx

• Advertisement

The antenna is a OB804020 10el Triple Monobander with a custom made third element for 80 from Optibeam . Tower wise it will sit at 110 Ft, not maybe as high as one would expect but the elevation angle for 80 will be in keeping with the majority of predicited paths . The antenna is built , the boom has being revised to take account of the additional load with the 3 rd element , all going well the antenna will be up for next season . As soon as it is in the sky I will post some photos . As for my own problem Brendan EI6IZ has being very proactive in assisting me with information etc , hopefully I will get to the source very soon.

John EI9HW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And at the other extreme I will try 5MHz band with 8ft Whip and 25W Military Manpack if I can debug the TX ALC on it. Got my 5MHz permission from Comreg on Monday. I baulked at modifying the FT817ND for 5MHz, though it's designed to work on 5MHz.

Best I've done with it so far is Limerick to Czech Republic at lunchtime 18.100MHz approx using a regular CB whip with mag mount on the car.

And at the other extreme I will try 5MHz band with 8ft Whip and 25W Military Manpack if I can debug the TX ALC on it. Got my 5MHz permission from Comreg on Monday. I baulked at modifying the FT817ND for 5MHz, though it's designed to work on 5MHz.

Best I've done with it so far is Limerick to Czech Republic at lunchtime 18.100MHz approx using a regular CB whip with mag mount on the car.

How did the 5 Mhz experiments go !!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

apparently power line ethernet sucks compared to real ethernet and wifi so i dunno why anyone would buy them

I don't know. 'I can't be bothered to run ethernet' people.

Advertisement