Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is mains based Networking sensible?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I dont really understand the discussion your trying to start? How do you mean is it sensible? On what grounds?

I think it has a place but I would never ever use it, there is no where I can run a wire!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

FusionNet wrote: »
    there is no where I can run a wire!!!

Hi Eoghan..You mean "there is no where I Cant run a wire!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wasn't that articale more about powerline products that don't meet British standards? The powerline feature of the BTVision unit supposedly is the one those folks are up in arms over - wonder do they have the same issues with say the Netgear powerline products.
    I use powerline/homeplug in my house due to being in a rented house that I'm not allowed to drill holes in :) wifi wasn't up to the job of streaming video from my server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Hi Eoghan..You mean "there is no where I Cant run a wire!":D

Can't indeed, thank god this wasnt live radio or TV..!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

laugh:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It may be no "power line" product actually meets the correct CE/EU/Irish/British standard as they all are essentially transmitters creating a lot of Radio interference. The Manufacturers are deliberatly choosing the "wrong" CE self certification for approval (Consumer IT equipment).

Mains wiring is not screened like coax, nor "twisted pair" like CAT5 used for ethernet or CAT3 used for DSL. The mains cables act like aerials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I live in the UK and I use these (Devolo ones http://download.devolo.com/webcms/0410469001232012147/dLAN_200_AVeasy_MT_2193_2195.pdf).

So until someone can prove that the actual product I have plugged into my wall is not compliant and not the guilty by association of "may not be compliant because another product from a different manufacturer is not compliant" then I will continue to enjoy my product.

Why do I use them? my router could see 14 wireless networks in the 2.4Ghz spectrum and 8 in the 5Ghz spectrum (lots of N networks as well mixed in) ... my throughput was laughable and dropped out constantly. Fuxored if i am going to drill holes in my walls and pull up my expensive wooden floor to put down cat5/6 when the Devolo kit does _exactly_ what i want.

Advertisement