Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to dim recessed lights?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

We recently moved into our new house which has recessed lights in lots of the rooms. They are quite bright & all have just the standard rocker switches installed. Is it possible to change the rocker to a Dimmer switch which should make them at more controllable for the TV room & bedroom. Most rocker switches control 4-9 recessed lights each.

Thanks for advice.

mrblack

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are they mains or low voltage downlighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yeah you'll need to know what type of lamp they are, 220V GU10 and 12V spots can be dimmed.

Are any of them on 3 three gang switches? typically after 2 gang (2 switches on the one plate) dimmers usually go up to two gang boxes.

also have you considered CFL 7W or 9W , or maybe GU10 LED lights, they are cheaper to run (not as bright) but maybe you want them less bright 24/7? It depends, spots might be the only form of light in the rooms and you may want the bright option too. Remember dimming 220V spots is still an expensive form of lighting, having the lights dimmed to half their "brightness" will not cut their power consumption in half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

would it be right to also be carefull on which dimmer you choose. as in dont fit a cheap 200 watt dimmer where you might need a 400/1000 watt dimmer or you will have to replace it quite quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Right, I took one of the recessed lights down and its a "Robus GU/GZ10" Max 50w, input voltage 220/240, type which presumably so are all the others. In the bedroom there are 12 lights controlled by one rocker switch & 2 other lights controlled by a second rocker switch.

Koolkid, I guess they are all regular 220 voltage power based on the above light type. (I had incorrectly thought they were all low voltage).

Stoner, In a few places they are on 3 gang switches but those particular ones I don't have any need to dim. Just bedroom & tv room is necessity at the moment.

On the 12 light rocker switch- Am I right to guess I would need a 600w dimmer? I have only seen 200w /300watt dimmers in shops so far.

thx for advice

mrblack

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

12 light by 1 swith at 50w is 600w dimmer at least.
    Trying to find a 3 way dimmer to fit into single back box is also going to be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

is it a two gang switch controling the light?if so click do removable rocker and dimmer switch ,so you can have dimmer and normal switch on the one plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

about 4-6 lights per dimmer would be the max with 220v or 12v downlights for reliable operation,the sparkie could have split them up better for you .if you could change to a dual box in the bedroom or work in a 1000w dimmer maybe.theres other dimming solutions but i'm not familiar with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

is it a two gang switch controling the light?if so click do removable rocker and dimmer switch ,so you can have dimmer and normal switch on the one plate

Yeah, Edward543350 the bedroom has a two gang switch alright-One controlling 2 downlights and the other switch controls 12 downlights which sounds difficult to change from answers so far -but the Click do you mention sounds perfect for me coz its the 2 light switch we want to dim as they are directly over the head of the bed!

Just one stupid question What/where is click?

thx

Mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

click is a brand name most wholesaler cover there range:o

Advertisement