Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire: Total War Multiplayer Trailer (HD)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Not played any of the total war series. But I'm looking out for this game after a m8 of mine showed me vids of it.

Looks damn good.

(btw whats with the user name? School sucks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Not played any of the total war series. But I'm looking out for this game after a m8 of mine showed me vids of it.

Looks damn good.

It sure does suck, but in a class way. You wouldn't understand.

Please do play the total war series, you don't realise what you have missed.

I went to Ardscoil Ris, I do understand ;)

I will be playing it this one, but I dont see myself going back to play the old ones. Too many good games out, too little time.

I went to Ardscoil Ris, I do understand ;)

I will be playing it this one, but I dont see myself going back to play the old ones. Too many good games out, too little time.

When did you do your LC there?

Also, it's the opposite. Too many crap games, too much time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not played any of the total war series.
    Shame on you! :pac:

This looks fantastic. The previous games have always delivered, and i expect big things from this. The naval warfare is a long time coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

2 things

1. No mention of the online campaign beta they will be shipping with the game :( That is the big thing for alot of Total War fans

2. This is the first none valve related game I've heard that is taking direct advantage of Steam as an online service beyond simply buying it online. Fair f*cking play, and all the features they are fitting into it are fairly impressive.

I hope if Steam can handle RTS online that other prominant rts titles will give services like Gamespy the boot and join them (I'm thinking the recent entries in the Command and Conquer series and Relic's games, which both suffered some horrible online issues)

Otherwise I will be spending the vast majority of my gametime in naval combat. I love battleships from the ship of the line to the dreadnaughts of the 20th century and to finally play a total war game where you can go all British Empire and just lock everyone else down with your navy will be awesome.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    2 things

1. No mention of the online campaign beta they will be shipping with the game :( That is the big thing for alot of Total War fans

2. This is the first none valve related game I've heard that is taking direct advantage of Steam as an online service beyond simply buying it online. Fair f*cking play, and all the features they are fitting into it are fairly impressive.

I hope if Steam can handle RTS online that other prominant rts titles will give services like Gamespy the boot and join them (I'm thinking the recent entries in the Command and Conquer series and Relic's games, which both suffered some horrible online issues)

Otherwise I will be spending the vast majority of my gametime in naval combat. I love battleships from the ship of the line to the dreadnaughts of the 20th century and to finally play a total war game where you can go all British Empire and just lock everyone else down with your navy will be awesome.

I actually have no interest in the online campaign. I played hotseat and it annoyed me big time. Not because of its limitations though. I played it for a laugh with my room-mate and he took a million years every turn. Playing every stupid minor battle. Supervising everything each turn. I almost killed him. I know when I'm going to win a battle etc. I have been playing the TW series since the day Shogun was released, but there is no way I'm touching online. I prefer to go at my own pace.

Right, I'm an online gamer. When I buy a game, its for playing online with people. I'd be used to playing say supcom on line or whatever.

So with that said, will I still enjoy this? I don't really know the gameplay all that much, the vids just look bad ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I dunno about doing a whole campaign online...Individual skirmishes can be good fun though (done this on LAN only). As SchoolBoy (:D) said, it takes ages!!! Hopefully they work around it well (it's a reason why I havent played Civ games multiplayer either...)

🤪

Right, I'm an online gamer. When I buy a game, its for playing online with people. I'd be used to playing say supcom on line or whatever.

So with that said, will I still enjoy this? I don't really know the gameplay all that much, the vids just look bad ass.

No.

• Advertisement

.....lol

Right so this game is really just about single player then?

I assumed this was gonna be like other RTSs in terms of there being a campaign. And then online matches. I'd generally mess around in single player for a tiny amount of time getting used to the units and then jump right into MP and that would be all I'd do.

I'd be buying it to play online, to pit my army and strats against other people around the world.

This kind of thinking is a no no for this then? SP only really yeah? bummer :(

Ah well I was thinking of firing up supcom again some time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

.....lol

Right so this game is really just about single player then?

The game is for the most part completely different online and offline.

in single player the campaign plays like a cross between civilisation (there's a world map, its turned base and you control and conquer cities)

The major differences from civilisation being you can not choose where you build your cities as the map is divided up into pre ordaned territories and whenever you engage another army in combat the game goes to a 3D real time strategy mode.

Here your army which you built in the other mode is laid out in front of you in a series of divisions representing each type of unit. So the scale is quite vaste with each unit being represented by up to a 100 individual soldiers.

You command up to 15 (I think?) divisions and you must defeat the opposing army in a number of scenarios

(IF you are in offense, route them from the field of battle before a timer runs out in open combat, in a siege conquer the settlement by routing the opposing army or capturing key areas.)

(If you are in defence in open combat hold out for the time limit or route the attackers and in siege hold the settlement.)

there are a number of other situations you can generate in the campaign. Starving your opponent in a siege will force him to leave the settlement to fight you on the outskirts. Or hiding in wait for a passing army allows you to attack from an ambush position.

Before each match you are allowed to place how your troops start what positions they hold within an area of the playign field that is your designated half.

The units use a rock paper scissors system. with infantry, archers, spearmen, cavalry and artillary making up the base of the unit types.

So Spearmen > Cavalry while Infantry > Spearmen and so on etc.

Requiring a well mixed army to succeed.

So single player can be quite engrossing long campaign managing your empire and your wars and alliences.

There is also a number of scenario battles

Online the prior games dropped the campaign alltogether and allowed players to play the RTS side with a preset number of credits used to purchase your armies and their experiance for the stand alone battle. It allows a number of players to play I believe

So online and offline are very different

Empire brings 2 new features to online.

1. Naval combat will now be a feature, I assume it will be the same general layout except the ships will represent the divisions. Online will allow single battles between navies I assume in the least (but it looks like Steam will allow a persistant ladder system) much in the way the current entries have single land battles

2. The game will be coming with a beta for an online campaign mode, it is currently unknown how it will work, but it has been confirmed that at the moment it is limited to only 1v1 games.

So it is very different to Supreme Commander as there is no real building mechanic online and offline it is seperate to the RTS side of the game. Also you dont control individual units instead vast armies where formations and macro management are more likely to win the day then intense micro. But there isnt intense micro in supreme commander just a different type of Macro.

If you want to get a feel for the series, you can pick up Rome Total War (the first of the fully 3D games) really cheap these days. A fiver in gamestop. And see if the campaign appeals to you.

Cheers for that. So it does sound to me that there is still a multiplayer game there though.

I knew that you commanded large units rather then a single unit etc and yeah I knew it wouldnt be like supcom or C&C in those respects .I just wanna know if I'd be satisfied with the multiplayer side of things as the main aspect of the game for me.

It sounds really interesting alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've gotten more satisfaction from winning a large battle (either on or offline) in the Total War games, then any other RTS i've ever played. Genuine tactics are often needed to win, where a small army can beat a much larger one, if you know what your doing. Great fun, and i dont think theres anything as cool as seeing a division of Armoured Elephants charging through infantry and seeing them fly/flee. Great games. I really hope they do the Naval Combat well (though, what have they ever done badly?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Looks damn good.

Any of the Total War series is probably the best way to miss sleep and food.

Cheers for that. So it does sound to me that there is still a multiplayer game there though.

I knew that you commanded large units rather then a single unit etc and yeah I knew it wouldnt be like supcom or C&C in those respects .I just wanna know if I'd be satisfied with the multiplayer side of things as the main aspect of the game for me.

It sounds really interesting alright.

I know the type of gamer you are and as stated online is far different to offline and I don't think you would enjoy this game fully.

The turn based campaign is a nightmare online. The previous version MTW2 had hotseat which was similar and it was poor. Not technically though. It's very slow paced. The other human player can take an hour per turn with you sitting there doing nothing. Also, the online campaign being shipped in ETW only supports two people per game. The 3d battle online are a mixed bag. What usually happens is both players run to the corner and won't budge. Means after 30 mins of standing still nothing has happened. This game is all about the single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I know the type of gamer you are and as stated online is far different to offline and I don't think you would enjoy this game fully.

The turn based campaign is a nightmare online. The previous version MTW2 had hotseat which was similar and it was poor. Not technically though. It's very slow paced. The other human player can take an hour per turn with you sitting there doing nothing. Also, the online campaign being shipped in ETW only supports two people per game. The 3d battle online are a mixed bag. What usually happens is both players run to the corner and won't budge. Means after 30 mins of standing still nothing has happened. This game is all about the single player.

That said, I play alot of games online but Total War is massive and addicting, pick up Rome for pennies and play it.

That said, I play alot of games online but Total War is massive and addicting, pick up Rome for pennies and play it.

True. Pick up Rome or MTW2 and play them. They will give you a strong idea of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

looks cool cant wait for it to come out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

God, the Total War series truly is epic. This makes me want to install Medieval 2 Total War again!

Empire Total War is a game I will be definitely getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i just hope they manage to make the AI half decent this time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im really looking forward to this. I was blown away the first time i played Rome. I've heard the entire world map will be in the game this time.

I'm looking forward to the naval battles as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Just thought I would bump this thread as there is only 16 days to go to release :)

getting very excited

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

yea i cant wait im going to preorder from play this week

i'll get the demo to see if my poor computer can handle it before i buy it.....i will deffo buy it but its just a question of when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Ah feck!

I'd better say goodbye to the social life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i'll get the demo to see if my poor computer can handle it before i buy it.....i will deffo buy it but its just a question of when.

Has there been mention of a demo? And if so, any idea when it will come out? Sooner? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

uglyjohn wrote: »

The minimum system specifications for Empire: Total War are:
    Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.
    System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).
    Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher).
    Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.
    15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.
    cianr wrote: »
    Has there been mention of a demo? And if so, any idea when it will come out? Sooner? :)

you can sign up HERE for notification as soon as the demo is released

Auvers wrote: »
    The minimum system specifications for Empire: Total War are:
    Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.
    System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).
    Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher).
    Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.
    15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.

you can sign up HERE for notification as soon as the demo is released

thanks for that about the demo, i was just gonna wait and see if one turns up on steam.

regarding the minimum requirements, i meet them......i know that already. i want to try the demo to see if my computer is able to play it "the way its meant to be played" its such an epic game i dont want to have to turn down the settings and unit sizes to get it to run well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Gameplay vid on the main site.

Advertisement