Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zinedine Zidane - was he all that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Without a doubt the greatest player since Maradona, I have never seen anything like him to be honest, sure he had his off days but even then he still stood out. Great player to watch, it's a pity he went out the way he did in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Zidane was awesome on the ball.

Maradonna was awsome but his size and speed gave him a natural advantage over someone like Zidane.

He was so small and stocky and had such a low centre of gravity that he could turn and take off faster than anyone - pump those crazy legs you little legend!!:D

edit: why won't my youtubes work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A mate of mine lives in Madrid. Shortly after the great one signed for them we went over to take in a game. The first thing that struck me with surprise was the size of the man. He was a tank. My mate was saying he was 6' 2 but he was stocky with huge shoulders. Watching him on tv didn't show you half of what he was like in the flesh.

I was amazed how he just seemed to stroll with the ball yet had great pace. When players came to tackle him they just seemed to bounce off him. I remember one bit in the game when two of them were swinging out of him, he was being dragged all over the place but the ball never left his foot. As someone in front of us said in an English accent: "has he got f**king glue on his boot!"

What really amazed me was one move where he was standing over on the left hugging the touch line, Salgado played a long diagonal over to him. Now that ball is a difficult one and most players would have trouble keeping it under control. Zidane didn't once look at the ball he was looking left at Raul who was breaking from deep towards the box. Constantly look at Raul, never at the ball he took one touch that dropped it right in front of him and put Raul through with a pin point over the top with his second touch. Now as it happens Raul put it wide but we were in awe as to how his first touch could be so majestic and put the ball on a golf tea without even looking at it.

The man was a genius, the ultimate big game player and yes, the best player since Maradonna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He was better than any current player.

But I agree with Bubs101, whether it was down to boredom or the effects of changed management, Zidane was inclined to disappear at Juventus under Ancelloti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

What a pleasure to watch, no-one of this generations is as good. A mixture of Berbatov and Ronaldo x 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Zidane and Ronaldo (Brazillian one) are the two greatest players of the recent past IMO. 2 very different players, but amazing in their own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I don't think he was quite Maradona, by God he was by a distance the best player of his generation, which makes him one of the best players of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

The most skilful player I have ever seen in the flesh.
    The only one that comes even close is Batistuta, who I saw in 98

Frisbee wrote: »
    He was the greatest player of our generation for me.
    And will remain to be so until he is eclipsed by Messi

I'd agree with this. When I talk to my dad about other greats like Pele & Maradona he just said that these two were untouchable. Zidane was a class act, I loved that nickname that some people used for him ''The Pelican''. He used to trot around the pitch with the ball without a care in the world.

His only flaw was his discipline. The famous headbutt vs Italy in 2006 wasn't the only silly thing he had done in his career. I seem to remember him getting sent off a few times for Juve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

People are talking about indiscipline, yet bigging up Maradona?!? He was a certifiable nutjob ffs.

Zidane, wow. Just wow. Greatest player of modern times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

One of the things I constantly find funny is when the topic of who was the greatest comes up so many say Pele without actually thinking about it. Its like he is the defacto standard. Honestly, were you around when he was playing? Did you watching much of him other than highlight reels during world cups etc...?

Chances are most fans now have never seen a full match that Pele played yet they will still proclaim his as a god of football and at the same time completely ignore the likes of Di Steffano (who i regard as better), Muller, Nordhal etc...

I mean when you think about it, if you just showed everyone highlight reels of Clinton Morrison banging them in in years to come most would say he was class if thats all they saw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

He is without doubt the best player of his generation,

Pele- 58-70
    Cruyff/ Zico/ Best?? Not sure here
    Maradonna- 80-94
    Zidane- 94-06
    Messi- 06-??

Bit general re dates but you get the picture, C Ronaldo may be winning awards but Messi will be remembered as the greatest for this current generation if all goes to play injuries etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If there was an option far above option 2, but below option one, I'd have picked that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Zidane was a good player, but this kind of statement is ridiculous imo. to be perfectly honest, i didn't even think he was the best player in the French squad in 98.
    And i in turn think it is ridiculous to think that he was'nt the best player in the French squad in 98. Opinions eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Choosing the best player is a bit hard. Different players playing for different teams in different positions.
    How can you compare that?

I base my top 5 on the pleasure of watching a particular player in a match.

1 Maradona
    2 Zidane
    3 Bergkamp
    4 Redondo (didnt see enough of him unfortunately)
    5 Cruijff (saw him during his last active season at 37, still brilliant)

Zidane in the game against Brazil in '06 was one i really would have hated if i had never seen that match. Just realised that again after seeing that clip on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

spiderdan wrote: »
    He is without doubt the best player of his generation,

Pele- 58-70
    Cruyff/ Zico/ Best?? Not sure here
    Maradonna- 80-94
    Zidane- 94-06
    Messi- 06-??

Bit general re dates but you get the picture, C Ronaldo may be winning awards but Messi will be remembered as the greatest for this current generation if all goes to play injuries etc

Just because maradona played for 14 years doesnt mean he was the best there was at that time. he didnt go to the 82 world cup and while i know he probably should have and also he did have some pretty terrible seasons in there near the end. The same way Zidane was not the best player around from 94 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Trippie wrote: »
    Just because maradona played for 14 years doesnt mean he was the best there was at that time. he didnt go to the 82 world cup and while i know he probably should have and also he did have some pretty terrible seasons in there near the end. The same way Zidane was not the best player around from 94 onwards.

Excuse me... maradona did go to spain '82 (sent off against Brasil).
    He missed out on Argentina '78 because the manager thought he was too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

zizou is the best iv ever seen, ive only seen pele and maradona and best in clips, the same with di stefano, puskas, edwards etc. zizou is the best player by a long way i have ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

inforfun wrote: »
    Excuse me... maradona did go to spain '82 (sent off against Brasil).
    He missed out on Argentina '78 because the manager thought he was too young.

ye you're right, im clearly retarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

themont85 wrote: »

Incroyable

Awesome performance alright. I seem to remember that Robinho (who was on the Brazil bench) ran up and hugged Zidane at half-time and full-time in this match, like witnessing the performance made up for losing the match (or maybe just to say "OMFG you legend Zizou" or something, I dunno).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Haven't read the thread, just jumped in to say that Zidane was mercurial throughout World Cup '98. He wowed the world again 2 years later at the European Championships but I'll always remember his performances in France '98.

He was truly world class. Possibly didn't always perform for his club consistently - who does? - and maybe was a bit temperamental but he was one of those rare rare players who can change a game with moments of magic and sublime skills.

Also - rarely can you apply the word graceful to a footballer, but it's so apt in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

He was up there with Roy Keane, Steven Gerard, Paul Scholes etc.

Difference? The three above players maintained incredible levels in the greatest league in the world year after year.

K4t wrote: »

Difference? The three above players maintained incredible levels in the greatest league in the world year after year.

Well, certain aspects of his game were down there with Keane and Scholes, but to be fair, only the most blinkered of Man U fans could compare the aforementioned with Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Do you actually believe that?:eek:

The EPL definitely wasn't the the greatest league in the world when Zidane was at his peak. He's also done it on the international stage.

LOL:pac::pac:

Seriously, I almost wet myself reading that.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous post I have ever read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Well, certain aspects of his game were down there with Keane and Scholes, but to be fair, only the most blinkered of Man U fans could compare the aforementioned with Zidane.

Im 33 and its between Scholes and Zidane for best player to have played his career in my lifetime :o

Xavi still has a few years left to take that crown. But these players makes teams work, proper footballers. Only reason Scholes doesnt get the credit is cos he avoids limelight.

your very funny.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Im 33 and its between Scholes and Zidane for best player to have played his career in my lifetime :o

Xavi still has a few years left to take that crown. But these players makes teams work, proper footballers. Only reason Scholes doesnt get the credit is cos he avoids limelight.

as good as scholes and xavi are and though they are probably more consistent than zidane, zidane was on another planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Zidane was as inconsistant as fuvk. Not as if most people on here would know in the first place. How many watched him every week or even most weeks for Real Madrid and Juve. I WOULD PUT THE NUMBER AT MAYBE 2 - 3 and that is no exxaggeration. The man had some big performances but for the most part he did nothing special. He scored a wonder goal in the champions league final yet many forget he had nothing more than an average game. Steve Mcmanaman scored a memorable goal in a champions league final also ! He done it on the biggest stage of all the world cup final but also on the biggest stage of all he ended his career in disgrace. Roy Keane is a legend btw and always seemed to get the better of Zidane when they played by my recollection. I personally witnessed some of them occasions myself. I would take Keano every time over Zidane. A once in a generation player was Roy Keane and more important was that he was consistant. Scholes is probably the most underrated player of his generation.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    I would take Keano every time over Zidane. A once in a generation player was Roy Keane and more important was that he was consistant. Scholes is probably the most underrated player of his generation.

i wouldnt i would take both, i want a balanced team :P. Keane was a crab* and a very good one at that he could drive a team forward but as seen without that piece of magic to win a game it was for nothing.

Zidane could win a game, mightnt notice him for 89 minutes but he could win a game with a pass or a goal and he did it to win CL leagues, WC euros etc. Keane couldnt do that he could only drive the team forward and hope one of the better footballers did something to create.

* gets the ball and passes it sideways to better players.

i wouldnt i would take both, i want a balanced team :P. Keane was a crab* and a very good one at that he could drive a team forward but as seen without that piece of magic to win a game it was for nothing.

Zidane could win a game, mightnt notice him for 89 minutes but he could win a game with a pass or a goal and he did it to win CL leagues, WC euros etc. Keane couldnt do that he could only drive the team forward and hope one of the better footballers did something to create.

* gets the ball and passes it sideways to better players.

Man Utd and Ireland won a monumental amount of games because of Roy Keane. He made a whole team play better. Zidane most certainly did not.

Keane couldnt do that he could only drive the team forward and hope one of the better footballers did something to create.
    [/I]

not true, goal against juve in CL semifinal got united through even though keane knew he wouldnt play, if zidane was in similar position i dont think he would have done the same.
    two completely different players, each great, but for individual skill zidane is unequalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Keane basically won that semi-final against Juve single handedly.
    I've never seen such a monumental performance.
    It was just amazing to watch as a football fan

Look. Maybe you're a Man U fan and can't see over your fence, but to suggest Zidane and Scholes in the same standard suggests your 33 years were wasted.

Scholes was an awesome player for his club, but was not of the same standard as Zidane, Deschamps, Viera (barely) to name just three French players. If we include other nationalities..........

Frisbee wrote: »
    Keane basically won that semi-final against Juve single handedly.
    I've never seen such a monumental performance.
    It was just amazing to watch as a football fan

This was a Juventus in their first CL game with a new manager. They were in free-fall - 6th in their league. Perspective. Keane in just one game. One game does not make a great player.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

In my time, he is the greatest player I have ever had to privilege of watching.

I was at the France vs Spain game at WC 06 in Germany. Zizou was sensational is the best way I could put it. Some of his movement and passing were smooth, fluid and utterly graceful. He should have had at least 3 assists in the game let alone the goal he scored. Chuffed I can say I saw Zidane in the flesh, at his best in such a massive game in the WC.

Zidane had a handful of great games in his whole career ! One happened to be a world cup final. He also disgraced himself in another world cup final. Keane had so many great games its just stupid even trying to compare. Are you saying Keane was not a great player ? my god get your head out brother !

Zidane had a handful of great games in his whole career ! One happened to be a world cup final. He also disgraced himself in another world cup final. Keane had so many great games its just stupid even trying to compare. Are you saying Keane was not a great player ? my god get your head out brother !

Am I brother?

No. But what were his "great games". How many Ireland games was he "not available"?

But.

Keane was guilty of as much off the ball as Zidane.

Not as qualified on it, though.

• Advertisement

Zidane was as inconsistant as fuvk. Not as if most people on here would know in the first place. How many watched him every week or even most weeks for Real Madrid and Juve. I WOULD PUT THE NUMBER AT MAYBE 2 - 3 and that is no exxaggeration. The man had some big performances but for the most part he did nothing special. He scored a wonder goal in the champions league final yet many forget he had nothing more than an average game. Steve Mcmanaman scored a memorable goal in a champions league final also ! He done it on the biggest stage of all the world cup final but also on the biggest stage of all he ended his career in disgrace. Roy Keane is a legend btw and always seemed to get the better of Zidane when they played by my recollection. I personally witnessed some of them occasions myself. I would take Keano every time over Zidane. A once in a generation player was Roy Keane and more important was that he was consistant. Scholes is probably the most underrated player of his generation.

How many Roy Keane?

OK, it's not about Keane, the thread's about Zidane. Roy never made the big stage for club or country, so, brother, the truth is you can never know.

Am I brother?

No. But what were his "great games". How many Ireland games was he "not available"?

But.

Keane was guilty of as much off the ball as Zidane.

Not as qualified on it, though.

What, was there a question in that ?

Zizou I am sure played every Les Bleus friendly !

Keano done the simple things with the ball that worked.

Zizou and the galacticos won what exactly ? one liga, one CL in five years.

Keane drove a team to countless titles.

Keano didnt have the skill (what Irish player does ?)but thats all Zizou actually had. Without it he had nothing to give.

the answer to your question is so many great games I dont have a number. Go ask Martin Tyler.

Zizou was inconsistant. Fact brother. Roy Keane was a machine who could be relied on time and time again.

keane disgraced himself so many time MORE than zidane could ever hope too.

Mc grath vs Italy is the ultimate one man winning a game performance.

As i said i would have both but Zidane would win the game with skill, keane would ensure the other team didnt score. if you taking keanes game vs juve as a standout moment you ahve to take the other 40 that season where he sat back and just did his job, he was a ball winning midfielder that was his job, zidane was a match winning midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Keane and Zidane were both great players.They were 2 completely different players.Zidane would win you a game.Keane would make sure you didn't lose it.

If you are talking about the best players to have ever played the game, you are an idiot if you say that Zidane or Keane aren't up there, for their respective positions

How many Roy Keane?

OK, it's not about Keane, the thread's about Zidane. Roy never made the big stage for club or country, so, brother, the truth is you can never know.

Maybe not but Roy got his club and country to the big stage. Its one thing being on the big stage. Getting your club, country there is a huge achievement in itself is it not. Did Zizou practically drag his club and country to the big stage ?

keane disgraced himself so many time MORE than zidane could ever hope too.

Zizou just happened to do it on the biggest stage of all in front of the whole world and look like a plonker. Zizou was no saint by the way and picked up a few red cards in his career.

I was not the one who mentioned Keanes performance against Juve to fill you in there.

• Advertisement

Zizou just happened to do it on the biggest stage of all in front of the whole world and look like a plonker. Zizou was no saint by the way and picked up a few red cards in his career.

Im an irish man utd fan but i think keane is a disgrace to football, great player and very good at what he did. But tbh i think hes a thug and a traitor to his country and his club. I dont see any redeemable qualities in him to ever grace a a best ever list of anything unless its a top ten list of cork people who refused to do their job. EDIT seen your edit...keane is not the OP here so we both OT :D

Zidane also disgraced his country (twice) he was sent off for france and never played for Algeria.

But Zidane was master of a football, he played football proper football can never argue with a footballer who plays ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Zidane also disgraced his country (twice) he was sent off for france and never played for Algeria.

Zidane was born in France to Algerian parents. How exactly is it a disgrace that he never played for Algeria when he grew up in France?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

First off, football is a team game. The "what did they win with him in the team?" argument is silly imo. And yes even Napoli had 10 other players on the pitch at the start of every game (even a quick wiki search reveals at least 3 Italian internationals of the time with 150 caps between them). As for Real i'm sure a shoddy defence & lax team work rate contributed more to their lack of success than any one players contribution.

Players like Zidane, Riquelme, Cantona, Rivaldo, Platini etc were/are all game-changers, capable of moments of brilliance. As for consistency or lack-of: Even in games where they underperformed, they are generally marked to the hilt and free space for other players. I really dont think the nature of the position is such that they can perform week-in, week-out in comparison, to say, the brilliant defensive midfielders of our era (Keane, Vieria, Makelele etc) who had a more prominent influence week-in, week-out; their positions on the field lend itself to being in the thick of things.

Personally i think Zizou was a majestic player. Whether he's the best of our era ...how long is a piece of string? For me, his touch, vision, control were second to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I actually love when people try to make the argument that either of France's world cup final appearances were solely due to Zidane. It's belittling of the fantastic 98 squad tbh, in both world cups it was a very solid base of good defending that was the main contributor to their successes.

Zidane would still get my vote considering trophies and duration, however in the past 15 years I still think Ronaldo was the most naturally gifted and exciting footballer in the world. However injuries prevent him from becoming a true legend. However talent wise he was closer to Maradonna imo than Zidane. Both would still be a step down from Diego status though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement