Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP vs Itouch

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello,

I'm looking to buy either of the above to have for traveling and generally using when I have a few mins to spare. What I'm looking for is something to play games on, something I could store and edit notes on, browse the web and something that can be used with skype which I have seen both have.

What is typing on the psp like for instant messaging on skype and writing notes? Also do people reckon the gps add on for the psp is a gimic or will it work ok?

One last thing is I'm currently based in Vancouver and will prob buy either over here. Will there be any probs with country codes on either when I go home?

Cheers
    Conor
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

PSP has no keyboard, so I assume typing means selected letters with the d-pad.

Where as I assume the itouch lets you use a touch screen keyboard. But hey. I don't have either. So don't take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

If gaming is your main purpose go for the psp. Although the iTouch is very capable it will never be a serious gaming platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Gamind - PSP
    Cool Aps /Music /Internet /Typing/(some games) - I touch

I definitely spend more time with an iTouch that a PSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

While i have a PSP and do love it, i only really use it while traveling long distances (On planes/trains). The Videos are great some of the games are great. You would have bigger games for the PSP although sony seem to have let this format die, which is a pity.

Watching Movies i never had any complaints although i have heard both. But to edit documents the psp would not be the answer and to browse the internet the PS internet explorer is painful as to type anything have you got six hours to finish your paragraph.
    There is a very limited selection of movies on UMD for the PSP.

As far as iam aware the psp camera can do skype viedo calls, this is an extra ad on.

But the Ipod touch is great for internet, will store alot more music (no changing out memory sticks!) Movie quality can be good although i haven't tried watching any movies on it yet. The games you download are good "Phone" Quality games IMO with the added fun of motion sensors.

Depends what you want/need them for!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Again depends what you want it for. PSP has more games (although I would tend to spend more time with my DS) like Jeanne D'Arc, MGS, God of War etc etc... IPod I used every day and it has far better internet access, music playback (MP3s on PSP can be a bit fidgety) etc. ITouch is improving on the games front - Katamari (also on PSP as a weaker version of the PS2 games) is meant to be worthwhile after new patches (initial version was a motion control mess I hear) and Crayon Physics Deluxe and Rolando are meant to be very impressive. But at the end of the day games are not a selling feature, and very much developing meaning it will be a while yet before anything truly impressive comes along. So PSP - great games, standard multimedia. IPod Touch - great for music / videos / internet, only OK for games at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Note that the psp battery life is quite poor.

You could also consider a DS, has better battery life than the psp

It has some form of VOIP support (link1|||link2)

It does have an available web browser but it wouldn't be amazing

it has IM as well, BEUP is a msn one and DSaim is AIM.

To compare them:

Cost: DS
    Battery: DS
    WebBrowser: PSP
    Typing: DS
    Video playback: PSP
    Ease of use: PSP (everythign you wanted comes as standard on apsp, you will need to get a flash cart for the DS although thats very easy now a days)

PSP is probably the better option for you out of the the two i compared, but just though i'd throw the DS card out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I have a PSP and a DS, I find myself using the PSP a lot more now.
    It's the ultimate gadget for travelling IMO.
    -Great games
    -Cheap movies
    -WMA and MP3 playback
    -Nice big bright screen
    ...get yourself a good memory card (4gb holds all my music and game data, as well as some movies and demos I downloaded) and you won't go far wrong.
    The internet browser is crappy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I have a PSP and a DS, I find myself using the PSP a lot more now.

Likewise, it's an absolutely essential tool for my work commute. Have spent every morning and evening for the past 2 weeks totally absorbed in puzzle quest. My DS hasn't had a look in!

The battery life is quite bad, but you can always charge it via usb
    The PSP's screen is fantastic for watching video on as well, and any videos can easily be converted using a multitude of free programs
    Don't have any experience with the iTouch, but it strikes me as a media player with games added as an afterthought (vice versa for the PSP)
    Then again, it makes more sense to buy a fledgling system rather than a dying one like the PSP...

tman wrote: »
    Then again, it makes more sense to buy a fledgling system rather than a dying one like the PSP...
    With the bargains to be had on PSP nowadays?
    I think not!

What is the general price on PSPs right now?

• Advertisement

What is the general price on PSPs right now?
    In argos they're now 169, I think Xtravision were giving away Fifa 09 or Endwar with them too for the same price

Does any memory cards come with it as standard or is that extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does any memory cards come with it as standard or is that extra?
    no memory card with the standard bundle i don't think.

well i didn't get one with my Crisis Core PSP that i bought last year.

no memory card with the standard bundle i don't think.

well i didn't get one with my Crisis Core PSP that i bought last year.

What about room on the PSP itself? What storage space is there, if any.

What about room on the PSP itself? What storage space is there, if any.
    there is no space on the PSP itself, you need a memory stick duo :(

there is no space on the PSP itself, you need a memory stick duo :(
    Yeah but they are cheap enough nowadays, and you can store everything on it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

AFAIK the PSPs maximum memory capacity is 4GB memory Pro Duo. It probably comes bundled with a 32MB stick, maybe 512MB these days, it's been awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

chamlis wrote: »
    It probably comes bundled with a 32MB stick, maybe 512MB these days, it's been awhile.

I think you're right on that one. That was the case when i got one last year anyway. Or maybe it's built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Origianl PSPs came with a 32mb card, i presume new ones come with something, you wouldnt be able to save games without a memory card

chamlis wrote: »
    AFAIK the PSPs maximum memory capacity is 4GB memory Pro Duo.

i've an 8 gig card in mine.

• Advertisement

Yeah the original PSPs came bundled with a 32mb card, and had a max. capacity of 4gb, but the new slim & lite PSPs and PSP-3000 don't come bundled with a memory card, and have a max. capacity of 16gb. (Could be wrong about the PSP 3000).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I prefer the iPod touch. I have an 8GB Jailbreaked iPod, and a 1GB PSP1000.

I prefer my iPod, because of the long battery life, great selection of apps (Or so I hear), and the general ease of use.

The psp is ok though. Mine is buggered, but I enjoyed it while I had it. The Internet browser is quite slow, and the keyboard is like texting on a phone.

Plus, iPod is getting MGS Touch. That is when I am finally upgrading to 2.0 with the AppStore.

iPod touch > PSP

Oh. iPod has 32 GB highest, PSP has AFAIK 16 GB highest with mspro duo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Plus, iPod is getting MGS Touch. That is when I am finally upgrading to 2.0 with the AppStore.

iPod touch > PSP

Oh. iPod has 32 GB highest, PSP has AFAIK 16 GB highest with mspro duo
    Emm, the PSP has Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, which is pretty damn good! It also has Metal Gear Ac!d which is fun also. I think Metal Gear fans would go with a PSP over an iPhone any day.

Also, highest capacity Pro Duo is 32GB, which the newest PSP firmware is compatible with. A PSP with custom firmware is one of the single greatest things that could grace your hands... unless of course you actually need to do some serious web browsing on it, then it's pants.

Having played some apps on my friends iPhone my opinion would be that if you want to play games or watch movies, the PSP 2000/3000 >>>>>> iPhone. It's much cheaper as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

GothPunk wrote: »
    Emm, the PSP has Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, which is pretty damn good! It also has Metal Gear Ac!d which is fun also. I think Metal Gear fans would go with a PSP over an iPhone any day.

Also, highest capacity Pro Duo is 32GB, which the newest PSP firmware is compatible with. A PSP with custom firmware is one of the single greatest things that could grace your hands... unless of course you actually need to do some serious web browsing on it, then it's pants.

Having played some apps on my friends iPhone my opinion would be that if you want to play games or watch movies, the PSP 2000/3000 >>>>>> iPhone. It's much cheaper as well. :D

@ GothPunk:
    * 2 Finger Salute *

Just MY opinion. My PSP is buggered, and while it worked I wasn't a Shooter person.

My first mgs was 4, and I borrowed that.

My opinion, just my opinion

What's the battery life like on a PSP?

What's the battery life like on a PSP?
    It's decent enough- lasted me the whole way to Sligo and back on the train the other week with continuous play- and still had a bar of battery left.
    And plus you get a USB charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Have both the psp and an iphone. If it's games you want, go with the psp. The majority of games on the iphone are rubbish. The best ones I've played so far are rolando (like loco roco) and Galcon. The developers of rolando seem to have a lot more cop on about the system than other developers. Their other iphone games got decent enough reviews I think.

There are some ports on there too: monkey ball and katamari but they're not very good as the system can't handle them well especially katamari. That MGS touch game looks awful.

There's also reign of swords which is a turn based strategy. It's ok, not great.
    I'd still go with the PSP.

Advertisement