Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candid hotel reviews

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to book a hotel for my wedding in May 09 (all on warp speed I know, don't ask! stress!! lol) anyway, I have a short list of hotels for my chosen date - each have the date available and have provisionally said they can take a wedding - headin to meet with each of them over the next 2 weeks to see exactly what they are offering.

I have two provisionals in mind and 2 on the back burner-
    Waterside house hotel in Donabate,
    The Bracken court in Balbriggan
    or the Bettystown court.
    or at a push (cos of location) the Crowne Plaza

It is a small wedding and we want the ceremony on site. I want somewhere I can have photos taken either on site or close by (with it being a small number it would be nice to inc as many guests as possible and not be driving off for photos etc). Most of the guests (because its a family thing) will be from Nth co dub, so I want to stick to this area for convenince.

I need to make a decision quick and get viewing - will be doing it week after next as soon as I have my visit back to Dublin.

To help with these decisions I was wondering if anyone has been to weddings recently in any of these hotels, and their honest, candid experiences? bear in mind it will be a small wedding, so won't be in the main reception room for the meal.

Or if anyone knows of somewhere else nice, with good service and the right size for 30-40 day guests, and aprox an additional 30-40 more in the evening in this area?

other places at the back of my mind is the Glenside (which I haven't been to in ages, but past memories of lovely food and service and I hear they had their garden all done up?)

opinions appreciated - the more honest the better!

Even louth/drogheda would be considered, but as its a small wedding its a small budget, so Slane castle is out unfortunately! lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I had mine in the Newgrange in Navan.

Good value for money, nice hotel and the staff couldn't do enough for us. All the guests thought the food and service was great. It's close enough for North County Dublin. Nearly all of the guests stayed over and had a great night.

As for your list, the Waterside we looked at but didn't like, the Bracken Court I've never been in but haven't heard anything bad and the Bettystown Court we viewed there and thought it was the nicest looking of them all, the thing that turned me off it was there was a sign as we went into the bar saying the that the residents bar closed strictly at 2:30, I got the idea they weren't pushed on service more just making money.

Maybe try posting on the weddings / marriage forum. Gonna be a busy few months!!

Congrats on the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Airport View at Blakes Cross cater for small weddings, and Newbridge Park is close by for photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You should also check out the Marine in Sutton Cross.

Tripadvisor I find to be generally the best for hotel reviews, especially for wedding parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

We had ours in Deerpark in Howth and they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

thanks for the replies guys - my main concerns are atmosphere and food! its a small wedding, so once everyone is well fed and watered and having a nice time with good service that is my main concern.

Will check out your other suggestions too! busy busy busy!!!

if all else fails, come to the tower at the back strand - there'll be a girl in a white dress, a bloke in a suit, a dunnes BBQ and stereo! everybody welcome! lol probably have a better time TBH!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

we decided on the Bracken court in the end - since the fire and its renovation it really is gorgeous, and its only down the road from me so its dead handy for dropping in to check things etc. It really is lovely, and the staff are very helpful.

Compared to the prices the others are charging, it is the best value for money. Cheaper than the others and a nicer hotel. The Waterside was a bt grubby to be honest, and the price of the overnight accommodation for th guests was a joke - €75 PER PERSON ROOM ONLY!!! bracken court is a 4 star hotel now, and they only charge €66 per room or €85 per room B&B - much better value.

someone would want to tell th waterside that they are far from the four seasons! lol

Advertisement