Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC PPPOE Username & Password?

• 16-01-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what it is?, i know the eircon one was broadband1 for them both but i recently switched.

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Anyone know what it is?, i know the eircon one was broadband1 for them both but i recently switched.

thanks.

There isn't one, UPC allows modems onto their network based on the MAC address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ok, thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

And you really need to be using their modem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

So how do you get to NAT type one with UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Add an ethernet WAN router NAT/Firewall to the UPC modem.

Sometims called cable/dsl routers. It has a 5th RJ45/ethernet port instead of a phone line port to connect to the UPC ethernet port 1:1

coax--[UPC Modem]--ethernet WAN--[Router + wifi +NAT + firewall]==LAN ethernet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i just got upc broadband and a modem router 2 in 1 box thing

its a cisco EPC2425

anyone know how to get nat type one on it ?

basically its a big white cable coming into the modem thing from outside the house and i have it wired with ethernet but only get nat 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why do you need Nat type one , 2 is fine for nearly all applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Why do you need Nat type one , 2 is fine for nearly all applications.

one is always better at the same time.

for ps3 its a lot better too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

robbie_998 wrote: »
    one is always better at the same time.

for ps3 its a lot better too
    Once you have the correct ports forwarded on your router, there is absolutely no functional difference between NAT Type 1 and NAT Type 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

watty wrote: »
    Add an ethernet WAN router NAT/Firewall to the UPC modem.

Sometims called cable/dsl routers. It has a 5th RJ45/ethernet port instead of a phone line port to connect to the UPC ethernet port 1:1

coax--[UPC Modem]--ethernet WAN--[Router + wifi +NAT + firewall]==LAN ethernet

Could someone please explain this a bit more simply for me please. Haven't edited those settings in a while. I'm basically trying to get the proper configuration of settings to get to 'Nat type 1' wireless on my PS3?

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

I hear a cheap network switch would get you nat type 1 with upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

cable doesn't use pppoe. that's adsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

No need to set Nat type 1 - just use the tools at portforward.com to configure the EPC2425 to the applications you want to use it for.

Secondly, I'm guessing that you are trying to use your old eircom modem as a router. This is possible, but you need to set the Netopia into Bridge Mode. But again, no need to do this if you can just configure the EPC2425 appropriately.

Advertisement