Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time for real action

Options
  • 16-01-2009 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

It has come to the point of no return for Ireland surely? We are within week perhaps months of the IMF stepping in to save our country.

We have a 19 billion budget deficit which is at this moment failing to be sorted out.

A budget that is so out of touch it's irrelevant, Irish people must understand that to safe our country from the IMF (= mass jobs cuts and pay cuts in excess of 20%) we must start taking SERIOUS action right now. Not in 1 or 2 months time, not after a 'review'.

The serious nature of the situation affecting Ireland is stark, we have never faced such a grave economic outlook in our history.

People who think ' ah shurre it will sort out itself' are totally misled.

In the coming months we must act drastically, otherwise our nation will face years of strive and be in the global economic wilderness.

The IMF will be needed if we don't act.

The latest attempt to save Anglo is so pathetic and repulsive it's beyond words. A bailout of the most wealthiest, callist, most wreckless and irregular persons in Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0115/banks.html

Before we get to the point of no return we must act collectively as a nation. Personally i lack confidence in the electorate whom voted so overwhelmingly for this government HOWEVER i understand why people voted for FF, i know very well people who did, many who regret their decision. I do not blame anybody, but i believe that unless we as a people act soon, we will be left with a train wreck and with nobody to fix it.

Sadly we have no non-government News organisation bar TV3 to report these issues. Action is need right this moment or else our nation faces a Japan-esk depression.
    It's time.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

we must start taking SERIOUS action right now.

In the coming months we must act drastically,

Before we get to the point of no return we must act collectively as a nation.

unless we as a people act soon,

act by doing...what exactly?
    talking about it on After Hours? cos I am THERE, just name a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ah shurre it'll sort out itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

It has come to the point of no return for Ireland surely? We are within week perhaps months of the IMF stepping in to save our country.

We have a 19 billion budget deficit which is at this moment failing to be sorted out.

A budget that is so out of touch it's irrelevant, Irish people must understand that to safe our country from the IMF (= mass jobs cuts and pay cuts in excess of 20%) we must start taking SERIOUS action right now. Not in 1 or 2 months time, not after a 'review'.

The serious nature of the situation affecting Ireland is stark, we have never faced such a grave economic outlook in our history.

People who think ' ah shurre it will sort out itself' are totally misled.

In the coming months we must act drastically, otherwise our nation will face years of strive and be in the global economic wilderness.

The latest attempt to save Anglo is so pathetic and repulsive it's beyond words. A bailout of the most wealthiest, callist, most wreckless and irregular persons in Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0115/banks.html

Before we get to the point of no return we must act collectively as a nation. Personally i lack confidence in the electorate whom voted so overwhelmingly for this government HOWEVER i understand why people voted for FF, i know very well people who did, many who regret their decision. I do not blame anybody, but i believe that unless we as a people act soon, we will be left with a train wreck and with nobody to fix it.

Sadly we have no non-government News organisation bar TV3 to report these issues. Action is need right this moment or else our nation faces a Japan-esk depression.
    It's time.:(

I completely agree. Lack of action by this shambles of a government is going to halt growth in this country for the next decade. They havnt got the balls to act drastically and I mean drastically. The government should always have the final say on decisions like public sector pay cuts. Seriously, with inflation at a virtual standstill, the idea that a 3% pay rise might still be on the agenda is amazing. The should implement pay cuts for all public servants other than those at the starting grades.
    The opposition are no better. At this moment in time, its amazing that the two parties wont simply work together to minimise the impact of this recession. Instead we have an oppositon which gives out about any plans for fiscal restraint and an opposition leader who blatently makes up his mind to be the oppisite to that which the government is doing. FFS, show some backbone and work with the government to remedy the problem. Getting elected can wait for some other time!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

All this talk about Stephen just depresses me.

Look forward to deflation! the EU ain't going to inflate the Eurozone to help us out.
    With or without the IMF the shit's hitting the fan at warp factor 9.

The speculators that caused the bubbles should be cut adrift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

(

I'm going to go out tomorrow night and get rat-arsed. Not because I enjoy it, hell no. I'm just thinking of the extra few quid VAT that will go into the govt coffers. I'm a proud Irishman and will not shy away from my duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Which Political Party, or Politicians, would do a better Job than FF, IMO, we are fcuked no matter who runs the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'll trade you 300 virgins and our debt for your debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

My (limited admittedly) understanding of the situation is that in the EU Italy, Greece, Spain and Portugal have serious financial problems as well, and the worst is Italy with a national debt that is now greater than GNP. Ireland is apparently hell bent on joining that group, but is not in as serious a position as they are. Listening to an economist on the car radio yesterday, he said that our problem is that the international investment community is beginning to look doubtfully at Irish goverment bonds and so demanding higher interest rates on loans. They are nervous because there doesn't seem to be a strategy for dealing with our present situation, but they don't yet see Ireland as a severe risk. However, the rating agency Standard & Poors are, he said reviewing Ireland's AAA rating and may reduce it. If they do then our government will find it very much more difficult to borrow money. In that case we could be about a year away from the IMF.

So, basically, the Brians have about a year to develop an acceptable strategy (note, not to solve the problem -- that will take much more than a year). Unfortunately, as far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be any strategy or even one under development:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I will tell you what I'm sick of, bar flies and half wits making statements like the OP's.

WHAT IS YOUR SUGGESTION????????

HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THIS???????

HOW DO WE REPAIR THE ECONOMY??????

If you want to whinge and moan about the economy or the government, go listen to Matt Cooper and shout "yeah!" at the radio.

What is the point of talking about the problem without focusing on the solution. Yes we are in a bad time, yes our country needs an overhall, yes our government has made some bad decisions.

But... Your argument is flawed, just like the opposition you are just whinging about the problem without presenting a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have to agree a little with Engrish on the Apathy.

Engrish?: Dont do ANYTHING to get yourself banned, thats an excellent User Name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Sorry Weathercheck, it's a nice idea but I can't think of a thing, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

engrish? wrote: »
    I will tell you what I'm sick of, bar flies and half wits making statements like the OP's.

WHAT IS YOUR SUGGESTION????????

HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THIS???????

HOW DO WE REPAIR THE ECONOMY??????

If you want to whinge and moan about the economy or the government, go listen to Matt Cooper and shout "yeah!" at the radio.

What is the point of talking about the problem without focusing on the solution. Yes we are in a bad time, yes our country needs an overhall, yes our government has made some bad decisions.

But... Your argument is flawed, just like the opposition you are just whinging about the problem without presenting a solution.

Or perhaps not being government ministers with large numbers of professional advisers, few of us know what the solution is or even if there is one. I don't know how to fly an aircraft, so I am prepared to pay for someone who does. If he makes a fist of it then I might just know enough to realise that he has without knowing how to rectify his mistake. In that case I can only complain and hope that a better pilot will come and take charge before we crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Ya, were all scr3wed! Lets go jump off a cliff and get it over with.. woooo hoooo.... seriously this topic in the AH? :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

FRANCIS:
    Yeah, twelve months. And, let's face it. As empires go, this is the big one, so we've got to get up off our arses and stop just talking about it!
    COMMANDOS:
    Hear! Hear!
    LORETTA:
    I agree. It's action that counts, not words, and we need action now.
    COMMANDOS:
    Hear! Hear!
    REG:
    You're right. We could sit around here all day talking, passing resolutions, making clever speeches. It's not going to shift one Roman soldier!
    FRANCIS:
    So, let's just stop gabbing on about it. It's completely pointless and it's getting us nowhere!
    COMMANDOS:
    Right!
    LORETTA:
    I agree. This is a complete waste of time.
    [bam]
    JUDITH:
    They've arrested Brian!
    REG:
    What?
    COMMANDOS:
    What?
    JUDITH:
    They've dragged him off! They're going to crucify him!
    REG:
    Right! This calls for immediate discussion!
    LORETTA:
    New motion?
    REG:
    Completely new motion, eh, that, ah-- that there be, ah, immediate action--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The boat that is our economy is sinking. We're all on the shore watching it sink. The government is on the boat bailing out water instead of calling for help.

Those of us who can swim, won't because one person alone cant save the boat. If everyone jumped in and pulled together we'd at least stand a chance.

We need a leader to tell us what to do and when to do it.Someone we can believe in. Someone determined, who doesnt have his head up his own arse. Somemone not worrying about the fat cats and doesnt care about lining his own pockets.

We need a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

themadchef wrote: »
    The boat that is our economy is sinking. We're all on the shore watching it sink. The government is on the boat bailing out water instead of calling for help.

Who ya gonna call......

Ghostbusters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I have a couple ideas....

1) The government governs and the leaders lead. By this I mean that they need to lead by example and sort out the money grabbing at the top. The "extra" that they get is obscene - In any company I'm aware of if you need to claim for expenses, you include receipts. The politicians should need to do this as well. And whether I am correct or not, it seems that everyone is getting thousands more a year from committees and sub-committees. Necessary? I don't think so.

2) One thing I heard about the Dell news is that the government will have people there to listen to business ideas from any of the affected employees. This is a great idea and should be rolled out across the country - monthly workshops everywhere, set up a fund to finance any ideas that may come out of the exercise. From start to finish - help people develop their ideas, write the business plans, financial projections, financing, everything. If there are 1000 people in this country (I'd have to say there must be more than this surely!!!) who have ideas which could create startup companies then how many thousands would be put back to work? This would also mean we're less reliant on foreign companies in the long run. It would mean more money today but it could help us get out of this situation faster than just sitting back, cutting costs and raising taxes which seems to be all I've been hearing from the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not taking this lightly either, and in an act of civic retail recapitalization, I'm heading down to Dundrum on my lunch-break to buy some clothes and eat a pile of that rip-off sushi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Chillax everyone no need to worry, Superman normally intervenes. He wouldn't let his believers down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Savman wrote: »
    Chillax everyone no need to worry, Superman normally intervenes. He wouldn't let his believers down.

Superman helps those who help themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Savman wrote: »

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Superman helps those who help themselves.
    No that's Batman. Pfft.

Advertisement