Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spoofing a browser navigator.appCodeName

Options
  • 16-01-2009 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

im just messing around with firefox and websites such as http://igx.net/whatami.html which display the information that can be viewed about your computer when browsing websites.

i have found a few tools that allow me to change some of this information to whatever i want but not everything.

example: on the above website the first bit of into returned is appCodeName: Mozilla

which is correct

the second is appName: Netscape

which is also correct.

No i use a firefox plugin called "User agent switcher" which will allow me to change the appName: Netscape field amongst others but i cannot seem to find anything that will allow me to change the appCodeName field.

does anyone know where these settings are stored for firefox. Are they in the registry, a js script file or hard coded. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭.Bob

type in about:config in the addressbar

then search for
    general.useragent.extra.firefox

change the value to whatever, try Googlebot 2.1 to access forums without registering, but a lot of sites only give google bot plain text like forums e.t.c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

.Bob wrote: »
    type in about:config in the addressbar

then search for
    general.useragent.extra.firefox

change the value to whatever, try Googlebot 2.1 to access forums without registering, but a lot of sites only give google bot plain text like forums e.t.c

Unfortunately general.useragent.extra.firefox only changes the navigation.userAgent variable in firefox. It does not alter the navigation.appCodeName which is the one im looking for.

Thanks anyway. Anyone else have any idea. Im pretty sure this cannot be done through about:config.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

with the combined help from .Bob and the guys at bugzilla here is how its done.

add the variable general.useragent.appName in about:config and that changes the appCodeName variable.

Advertisement