Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Year old lacking self confidence

Options
  • 16-01-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi

Im looking for some advise please. My 5 year old boy is in senior infants. This morning the teacher pulled my wife aside and discussed that she has noticed that he lacks self confidence. He is intelligent and sporty and has lots of friends however when it came to the xmas nativity play and when it comes to standing up in front of his classmates he struggles.

He was just gone 4 in August when he started in junior infants, so many of his class mates could be up to a year older that him, however many of these are his friends and he has play dates and everything with them. Its just when he is asked to perform in front of everyone that there is a problem, even though he is well capable.

Obvioulsly my wife is very upset this morning.

Any advise? Any ideas on what can cause this? Any ideas on how to build up this confidence.

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I was never a fan of standing up and performing in front of people myself. Some people are and some people aren't. To be honest if your child is otherwise doing well I'm surprised the teacher mentioned it:confused: I wouldn't make an issue of it tbh. My child is similar but she knows what she likes and what she's good at and she knows she doesn't like performing. Fair enough.. I wouldn't push it. She is quite a timid little person but one thing that has helped her overall confidence is music. She gets lots of praise and was confident enough to play at her Christmas pageant (with others). Having something to concentrate on (ie teacher in front of her with her with the notes!) meant she was barely aware that she was performing at all. She's a little older than your boy but I do feel that it's made a huge difference. Whether it's the praise or the actual feeling of accomplishment herself that has done it I don't know... maybe a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭disland

Thanks for that. He plays football and hurling every weekend which he loves.

Thanks for the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I wouldn't worry. My child suffered of stage fright one year to a point of crying. Next year he was the star of the play and did it with a big smile in his face. It could be just a bad hair day, or something was bothering him. Just help him to feel it is OK if he brings it up, try to get him to talk about how he feels without any pressure and tell him about situations where you have your own difficulties and how you handle it.

Advertisement