Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on using a crate for dog

Options
  • 16-01-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a two year old Cocker Spaniel and up until now she has been sleeping at the bottom of our bed. Well the time has come for some belated training, so I was thinking of getting a crate/cage for her to sleep in, I would put it beside the bed so at least she would be in the same room as us. I just have a couple of questions:

- What size of cage should I get for a Cocker, would a bigger one = more comfort for her?

- Is it best to put her in it for an hour or so at first and gradually extend the time to get her in the habit?

- I don't want her to feel like this is punishment, how best to introduce her to the concept and make it a comfortable space for her?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya,

This is what I learned from personal experience, hopefully someone here will have some proper knowledge to help you with but I found this method works well with pups anyway.

The crate does not need to be too big, Really just big enough or her to be able to stand up, lie flat, stretch out, turn around, it will be for sleeping, not for playing, so the smaller the cosier I'd imagine.

The way I would suggest you do it would be to have it in a room she does be in during the day. Start by leaving one blanket beside it, and one in it, so when she rests during the day chances are she will be beside it.

Feed her in it, but don't lock her in, for the first while put the food just inside the door so she can just stick her head in, moving it closer and closer to the back. When she has no problem at all with going in for her food, close the door over behind her but let her out as soon as she is finished eating.

When this is easy for her, you can start puting her in with a chewy treat, like a hide bone or something, and leave her for 10 mins with you in the room, this should be the only area she gets this treat so she begins to associate the crate with good things, when she is being brought out of the crate, the bone is taken from her.

At this stage, depending on how well she has taken to her little den, you can start putting her to sleep in it for an hour during the day (with her treat).

You will know yourself if this is upsetting her or not, when she is ok with being locked in for a while each day the hard part starts. Her first full night.

Make sure she is knackered, fed and has cleaned herself. Put her into the crate with her treat, tell her she is a good girl, close the crate and walk away. Hopefully the combination of her being tired and having something to chew on will keep her quiet until she falls asleep, if not, you will just have to ignore her.

For the first few nights, I would suggest that 6 - 7 hours would be enough, try to wake her rather then have her wake you.

Be gentle and patient, don't try to push her too fast, and she will not feel like she is being punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have a cocker spaniel, almost 9 months old now.
    From the start, rather than a crate, we used a baby's playpen, from Smyths.
    Bed takes up half of it, room to stretch + food & water bowls near the door.

As we don't have a utility room, its in the kitchen/dining room.
    Its very sturdy, made of metal with a heavy base, so its near impossible to tip over.

He has always slept in it, goes there while I'm emptying or filling the dishwasher or while we're eating at the table.

He still sometimes whines while in it - but usually only if he needs to go out, or is looking for attention. He doesn't whine at night though, when the light goes out he knows its sleeping time and he's happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

very helpful advise on crate training

thank you Helen:)

Advertisement