Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OMG! I dropped my camera

• 16-01-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best place/person to have a look @ my camera, lt fell off the sofa & there's a few problems with it now....:(

Auto focus not working, Shoot button making funny clicking noise...a little freaked out..

Linda

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What Camera is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Nikon D60

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have you tried a different lens?

As the D60 has the AF Motor in the lens the fault could be there & not the body.

Yes, tried 300mm & 55mm

Message on screen keeps flashing 'Subject too dark' & a ?

Then it's probably going to mean a Holiday away to your friendly Nikon Service Centre.

Do you have another Body to use?

• Advertisement

Oh No.....:eek:

Yes have use of a D70 (boyfriends).....& just got a really old Nikon EM 1979.
    Feck it anyway....Thanks CabanSail...Boo Hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

can take a look and prob repair it - but might take a couple of weeks to get parts etc..... fairly slow with turn around times.(busy with other stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

l pearse wrote: »
    Oh No.....:eek:

Yes have use of a D70 (boyfriends).....& just got a really old Nikon EM 1979.
    Feck it anyway....Thanks CabanSail...Boo Hoo!

ha, I was just about to point out that this was a perfect opportunity to put that EM to good use :-)

You can check out the lens on the D70 to make sure it's OK.

ha, I was just about to point out that this was a perfect opportunity to put that EM to good use :-)

It sure is DQ going to get some film now & leave D60 into Birminghams ( have a voucher)

Thanks for the offer PCPhoto.

The lens works perfectly on D70...:o

Linda

• Advertisement

It's things like this that prove that time is not constant.

The fraction of a second it takes for a camera to fall to the ground is really long.

Then there is that horrible feeling that you know that something bad has happened & it's more than just the money it will cost. It's like you have hurt a good friend.

Good luck with it Linda

sad-smiley-345.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

A friend brought his camera to a very good repair expert near the canal and just before the South Circular some years ago. It was recommended by Conns Cameras.

If anybody has the address I would be pleased as I think that person also sold second-hand lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So sorry to hear of your loss.....:( I would be heartbroken if something happened to my camera, seriously heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

sorry to hear about your camera.

i know this might not help you now - but if you haven't already, you could consider in future puting your camera stuff on the home insurance? hopefully this wont ever happen to you again but if it does.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Is it insured?

It might not be all that bad, see my thread here

Some policies have Accidental Damage cover. If the policy does then it's worth a try.

Home Insurance can cover things you may not realise. I once had all my Scuba Equipment as well as Amateur Radio sets stolen from my car. As they were normally stored in the house they were covered. Mind you it took quite a few months of negotiations to get them to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

The Portobello Repair Centre has a good name here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166880

Perhaps 'phoning for advice would help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Anouilh wrote: »
    The Portobello Repair Centre has a good name here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166880

Perhaps 'phoning for advice would help?

DML moved about a year ago, they are now here:
    http://www.dml.ie/eMerchantPro/pc/contact.asp

Thats presuming of course that the repair centre was actually associated with DML, and not just in the building ...

Covey wrote: »
    Is it insured?

It might not be all that bad, see my thread here

No unfortunately not Covey,..l'm not even insured!!!:(

Put it into Birminghams this morning €40 just to post off to Nikon & get an estimate on the damage.

Bought myself B&W film & batteries for my old Nikon EM & headed over to Trinity & Stephens Green.....Felt really weird, like l jumped back in time.... about 30 years....This Camera is possibly older than a lot of bordies on here.:D
    No AF so l hope they turn out reasonably good..Fingers & toes crossed.

Have to find someone to develope now, any sugestions people.
    fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

l pearse wrote: »
    Have to find someone to develope now, any sugestions people.

I use Gunns to develop my film. I'm sure there are other shops around that do it too :)

Great, Thanks bovril

While all the auto features on modern cameras are fantastic, I feel you can learn a lot from going back & using a completely manual camera. You will have a blast using the EM.

l did have a blast, but the weight of it around my neck compared to the D60, & l kept forgetting to wind it on for the next shot...great fun altogether....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sorry to hear bout yer d60 hope it dosent cost too much to replace/fix.

Ah, lt was my own fault....:mad:

But l'm taking small donations!!!

Linda's Strike Force
    For All Camera's In Hosp. Ho! Ho! Ho!

photographe-3032.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Eep! Sorry to hear that! I can't recommend getting it insured enough - my contents only home insurance covers me for just about all eventualities (now that I'vesaid that I'll break the camera and there'll be some horrible small print that'll stop them paying :( ) I dropped mine a while back. Its such a horrible feeling...

I'm planning on shooting some film this sunday with my ancient cosina. Fully manual too, but light as a feather :) I've used Camera Exchange for b&w development in the past and they were great.. I plan on developing this roll myself though :D Have you thought about darkrooming it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Anouilh wrote: »
    A friend brought his camera to a very good repair expert near the canal and just before the South Circular some years ago. It was recommended by Conns Cameras.

If anybody has the address I would be pleased as I think that person also sold second-hand lenses.

It's called Camera Repair Services/Centre ( I can never remember). I got an old F70 repaired there years ago. Its right by Portobello college, sort of opposite The Lower Deck pub, beside where DML used to be. His opening hours can be a bit funny though. Call Gunnes Camera Shop and they'll have more info on the place.

sineadw wrote: »
    I plan on developing this roll myself though :D Have you thought about darkrooming it?

Not that brave yet Sinead, & a little short on room @ the moment..:(

If l do get any good pics, whats the process on getting them up on boards..?
    l'm thinking....Scan....Save....Upload.....Post!!!

Will that work l wonder...:confused:

Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If I were you I'd not bother getting prints done - just ask for development and a neg scan to CD and then process as normal in photoshop or wherever you usually use. I recommended camera exchange as I've had B&W processed in there and scanned at high resolution for the same price as a normal scan. Their colour neg scanning is more expensive though? Not sure why... maybe the B&W lab tech was just being nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am sorry to hear such dreadful news.
    I have ended up using colour film (C-41) because it allows me more control about BW conversion at the stage of post processing on my computer. And for BW I have chosen monochromatic films. They are 400ASA with grain of 100ASA. Just lovely tonality (depends on exposure and scanner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Sugar Linda, I'm just reading your post. It's a terrible feeling dropping the camera. I done mine on Christmas day and popped off my kit lens, fortunately I was able to superglue the holding rings back on and its holding great so far - touch wood (ie top of my head :D:D).

As for your problem, I could have popped it into the nikon repair centre for you as they are based in Rathmolyon where I live. They are a bit strange on taking things in and your definitely not allowed to call by, however I they are willing to meet you and collect a camera. However I'm sure you'll get a good service from Berminghams.

As for the EM, enjoy the fun of getting back to film. It seems a few of us are heading back that way. Gonna be doing some developing myself next week, lets hope I can remember how to to it :eek:. But it all good fun. So enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eddie65

I recently had to get a Canon lens repaired and brought it to

Photographic Repair Service
    147 harmanstown road
    artane
    dublin 5

Alan McDonnell 087-1350345.
    I don't Know if he does Nikon but he fixed my broken lens and was very reasonable may be worth a phone call.

Hope its not a baig problem
    Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Lol if you droped the em you probably would had left a big dint in the floor and scratch on the camera......

Advertisement