Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mileage

Options
  • 16-01-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Just looking at insurance and got to thinking... how much mileage do we do these days.

I'm sure the days of 12000 a year are gone!!

Poll is in Km's!!!!

How many Km's a year to you drive? 74 votes

<20000
    0% 0 votes
    20000 - 30000
    50% 37 votes
    30000 - 40000
    20% 15 votes
    40000 - 50000
    21% 16 votes
    50000+
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How do you figure that based on insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Stark wrote: »
    How do you figure that based on insurance?

Sorry, I was not clear. was looking at insurance quotes and saw the question, How many miles a year?

I just remembered someone saying once that the average is 12000 per year. Just got me thinking... that's all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Who does 50k km a year?

Must never be off the road:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Crap, OP I voted in miles. Can you change my vote to 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Who does 50k km a year?

Always on the road. I used to enjoy driving alot but that pleasure has dimmed somewhat.

• Advertisement

Who does 50k km a year?

Not hard if you drive for a living. I'd do about 20,000km a year and that's only with driving to/from work and the occasional weekend trip.

Who does 50k km a year?

I do myself!!

80 mile round trip to work.
    Live in Carlow, and go home to Cork a bit too.... adds up fast!!

34000 miles since April last year... thank god its a diesel!!

Actually on the topic of insurance companies asking your annual mileage. I have always wondered how can they prove how much I have done. Say someone puts down 8k but actually drive 20k, then need to claim for what ever reason. How would they find out in order to attempt to invalidate the claim*?

I'd imagine they can look at the odometer and get an idea.

bottletops wrote: »
    I do myself!!

80 mile round trip to work.
    Live in Carlow, and go home to Cork a bit too.... adds up fast!!

34000 miles since April last year... thank god its a diesel!!

Thats mad Ted.

Personnally I couldn't do that to work every day.
    For a start that would mean being sober on a friday morning:pac:

• Advertisement

But they dont know what the odometer reading was at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I do +50,000 km a year, regularly travel between Dublin and Belfast with work and my girlfriend is either in Roscommom or Galway (i live in Dublin), plus odd trips to England and I still loving driving!! (i think its the car!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Could you explain this to me as I am not getting it.

Surely they'd have to look at it at 2 different times and get the difference between readings to check mileage done. Or ask you for current mileage when getting the policy.

I do +50,000 km a year, regularly travel between Dublin and Belfast with work and my girlfriend is either in Roscommom or Galway (i live in Dublin), plus odd trips to England and I still loving driving!! (i think its the car!)

What do you drive?
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Could you explain this to me as I am not getting it.

Surely they'd have to look at it at 2 different times and get the difference between readings to check mileage done. Or ask you for current mileage when getting the policy.

But they don't ask current milage and I could never see them sending someone out to verify milage, not worth the expense.

Hibernian asked me for a recent NCT certificate when I was thinking of signing up with them before. Not sure if they asked me specifically for my odometer reading but the NCT cert would have shown it. That would be enough to give them an idea I reckon.
    But they don't ask current milage and I could never see them sending someone out to verify milage, not worth the expense.

It would be an easy thing for an assessor to take a peek at when they're out assessing damage to the car.

I've never heard of them taking the trouble with someone who did say 15,000 and was insured for 12,000 but I reckon they would go to the trouble if they had suspicion that the person was doing something like 50,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

At the moment I'd say I'm around the 20,000 km per year mark. Used be more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I do just over 40k when i converted it. although i selected 30-40k. It must be horrible to do that more driving than that. I hate having to drive. sometimes i wish i lived so far away from hometown, so that I could cut all ties and never have to drive up and down regularly.

Thats mad Ted.

Personnally I couldn't do that to work every day.
    For a start that would mean being sober on a friday morning:pac:

Its actually not bad. Rarely traffic jams. 35 - 40 mins each way. Lots of ppl spend longer on buses trains etc. I sit in my car and relax to the music on cruise control!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Daily commute is 70km round trip; football adds 400+km some weekends (Maynooth->Ballybofey->Maynooth); music ads 500+km some weekends (Portrush, Cork...).

About 30,000 a year at the moment, has been higher.

bottletops wrote: »
    Its actually not bad. Rarely traffic jams. 35 - 40 mins each way. Lots of ppl spend longer on buses trains etc. I sit in my car and relax to the music on cruise control!!

hmmm... I suppose if its not sitting-in-Dublin-trafffic-driving it might be ok.

Thankfully I'm in the position where work is 10 mins on bus/bike so driving time is purely for fun:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Poll doesn't go low enough. i'm an enthusiast and have a collection but do less than 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Around 40k for me - 100-110km round trip communte + weekends. I actually quite enjoy the commute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Was doing Cork to Clonmel up until recently. Will be doing Cork to Waterford soon all going well with work. Its true a lot of the enjoyment goes when you're stuck trying to get home but you really cant beat a good long spin early in wee small hours of the morning:D

Think my 45k is a year will head north soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I drive around 5000 Km's per year but my car is a weekend car and I hardly ever drive it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

hmmm... I suppose if its not sitting-in-Dublin-trafffic-driving it might be ok.

Totally, I moved from Dublin to Meath and generally, no traffic problems. If there is just one reason to give up the amenities of a city, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭tech

do about 70-80,000 kms a year now

I have a 05 Avensis d4d with 270,000kms on the clock, going like a bomb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I do 100000km+ a year!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭tech

when i started on the road 1st i did 75,000 miles a year for 3 years!! what are you driving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Around 10-15k Miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I do more than 40k per year. My commute to the office is handy <5km, but I'm away from the office traveling about the country most days. Managed to do just under 1100km this week - all on one tank too :cool:

Advertisement