Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrics in house I'm building - cost ?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of building and I've just got a quote from the electrician and it seems high.

What is the going rate theses days per socket ?

We have a lot of sockets in the house (57 double sockets), but it's a big house (3,400 sq. foot) and there are 2 electric showers also.

We were quoted €12,000 for the house and the electrician isn't even chasing the walls for that price.
    I though we would have been looking at around €8,000 for the complete house seeing as it's a new build and is therefore working with a blank canvas, or I am being naive ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH, it's very very difficult to say. 12K for a large house is not a high price. There are many many questions to ask WRT wiring houses, some people go for a standard finish, but others go over the top.

For example, have you planned for many spot lights, say a house with 6 rooms suitable for spot lights, a standard set up would be 6 pendants, add in spots and this could easily go up to 24 - 30 lights, i.e 4-5 times more fittings.

that's just the lighting, do the same for sockets, phone/computer points, cooker points etc, you already have twice as many electric shower points over and above a "standard installation"

Having said that cutting down on your requirements now may save you money but in the long run it might not be a good idea as adding them back can be costly.

Make sure you agree a schedule of costs for additions points, like sockets, phone, light, light switch, intruder alarm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

There are spots in in 4 rooms alright, but no phone or network points as I'm doing that myself.

We want only the wires in for the alarm, I can get the alarm done later or do it myself.

I suppose I need to do a bit more shopping around and get comparative quotes

sounds like a good idea, hopefully you can get a good house basher locally, unfortunately with the domestic shutdown there are lots of guys around looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

not bad. I had my house re-wired (new fittings also), new consumer board,added 17 double sockets to a new extension, about 20 spots, , 3 extra pendants, 2 outside lights, electric shower etc.
    The extension was bare (no plaster etc) but they did have to chase out concrete floor to get sockets in the island in the kitchen.
    €7500. My house is about 1000sqf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As Stoner said, it's very difficult to tell without the full spec but it doesn't seem to bad a price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it sounds expensive for a standard spec with no chasing esp. in cavan where i would assume prices are deflated as they are here in the west .i just wired a high spec 3500sq ft. hollowcore for about 13.5k inc. chasing but prices are low here .the same size dormer type is a lot less work than hollowcore.anyway you won't know much with just one price to go on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flyfree

Oh MY God are you insane!!!!! You are being ripped off big time!! There is no way on gods green earth can that price be justified bar you are installing solid gold plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 iremankk

sounds high
    I'm building at the mo too.3200sqft
    75 double sockets, good sprinkling of spots, and all the usuals
    I bought all the material myself (from electricians list)
    All wire and bits and bobs so far, first fix complete less that 1000
    400 for chasing (different guy)
    paying electrician 3500 cash for his labour (1st & second)
    I know the fittings will add up for second fix so will probably go metal in living areas & std white in bedrooms etc....
    kilkenny....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Its funny

I used to work for a guy that used to get near 20k for one off houses and believe me he didnt do anything special to merit it but yet he always got the work. He had strong GAA connections and seemed to get work based on that and not a lot else.

Id love to know how he is doing now with a bit more realism injected into the market.

Oh and OP, 12k seems steep alright but without knowing the full specs I suppose it is not fair for me to say that.

From what you have said though the house seems kinda straightforward so I would defo look around. Also cash is always cheaper if that is an option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all - just an update.

We got an electrician and we are paying him for labour only and we have to buy all the equipment (Cables, backboxes etc..).

He's doing the complete house for 4.5K

So WAY cheaper if you look around and don't rush.

• Advertisement

good going,

On a similar note I got a price from a guy to refelt my flat room, I got four guys in, two I didn't want to deal with and the other guy was looking for €1750 ex VAT. I was about to go ahead with it but with all the stuff that has been going on I sent it out to one other guy.

Its finished, decent job all done for €400 ex VAT.

Different times out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

Wow thats a big difference... We are pricing for electrician at the moment, might do the same and ask for labour only price and work our which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

do you know how much materials cost?your 4500 will soon increase very rapidly!

Advertisement