Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM09 Stories.

Options
  • 16-01-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

A thread to share your career ups and downs.

I started with Reading in the Championship.
    1st Season:

I came 1st, 4 points clear of Ipswich with Southampton winning the playoffs.

My winning squad:

Hanhemann

Rafael
    Dellas---Bikey----Nesmachnyi

Gibson----Gravesen----Harper
    S.Hunt

Doyle----Lita

I won the league because of my striking partnership. Kevin Doyle bagged an astronomical 33 league goals, Lita got 18 and 16 assists. My "good relationship" with Sir Alex Ferguson saw me bring in Rafael Da Silva and Darron Gibson on season long loans, these guys were a cut above the rest in the Championship. The experience of Geek defender Tarainos Dellas and Ukraninan Anreyi Nesmachnyi were vital also. A good season despite short cup runs. I had to deal with speculation over Doyle and Hunt every week with them both "Unh" at me for making them stay. But i was determind to keep them.

Season 2:

My first go in the Premiership and i couldnt have gotten worse news on day 1 as i was told i had only £440k to keep my team up. The first thing i did was sell Harper to Everton for £10m, i got rid of Championship standard players like N.Hunt, Lita and Ingemarsson and eventually had £15m.

I made some good bargain buys and brought in Benjani for £1m, Marek Sapara for £2.5m and Rivaldo who was a huge flop despite his incredible attributes and Recreativo defender Beto for £1m. Free transfers like Dudek, Hamman, Julio Cruz, Daniel Strurridge aswell as securing the United youngsters for another year led to an 11th place finish with the board were delighted with. Doyle got another 18 league goals and Benjani who was voted buy of the season got 14 league goals.

My team:

Dudek

Rafael
    Bikey
    Beto----Nesmachnyi

Sapara
    Hamman---Gibson--Hunt

Benjani----Doyle

3rd Season:

Ive only just started the 3rd season, but i can see it will be a huge year for Reading. I was given 15m to spend, and i spent well. I got big players like Emerson, Jankulovski and Basturk and Villa wonderkid Delfounseo on frees. I spent well on Miguel for £2m and Greek wonderkid Kryagios Papadopulous and splashed the cash on Sergio Asenjo who is one of the best keepers in the game and only 21. I also managed to bring in Ricky Sbragia as my assistant.

My team:

Asenjo

Miguel
    Bikey
    Papadopoulous---Jankulovski

Sapara
    Gibson
    Emerson
    Hunt

Doyle---Benjani

I lost 3-2 at Old Trafford on day 1, then beat Spurs, Stoke, Villa and Everton to go 3rd. Doyle has 9 goals already.

Best buys:
    Papadopouous, Asenjo, Benjani. (Season 2, Season 3 and Season 2)

Worst buys:
    Jermain Beckford, Rivaldo, Kanu. (All season 2)

Best result:
    Reading 4-0 Arsenal (Season 2)

Worst Result:
    Manchester United 6-1 Reading (Season 2)

Tips for anyone who is going to play with Reading:
    -KEEP KEVIN DOYLE AND STEPHEN HUNT!!! These guys are the spine of the team. They will want to go in the first season but if you get promoted you can convince them to stay. Make Doyle your captain if he becomes unhappy. With an "Unh" icon Doyle is a good player, but when his morale is Superb he is unstoppable.
    -Bring in experience in the Championship, but get them out for the big time. Gravesen was player of the season in the Championship, but he was awful in the Prem.
    -Watch out for a great player in the reserves, Gylfi Sigurdsson, a great young player.

Comments

Advertisement