Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of a spoiler

Options
  • 16-01-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am thinking of getting a spoiler fitted on my car. The car is a 05 Corolla strata hatchback like the one below. I was just wondering how much do you reckon it would cost to get one supplied and fitted by a mechanic before I shop around.

http://www.carbuyersguide.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2287582
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Why would you put a spoiler on a 1.4 diesel Corolla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Maybe he likes the look of it?

Would a bodyshop not fit this, rather than a mechanic?

Spoiler would cost at most €100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Maybe 100-150 fitted. I'd spend the money on speed-stripes and/or speed-holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Why would you put a spoiler on a 1.4 diesel Corolla?
    He obviously doesn't have enough down force and it is having a negative effect on his cornering. Duh. :D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

noblestee wrote: »
    Maybe 100-150 fitted. I'd spend the money on speed-stripes and/or speed-holes.
    Or possibly a life? Can you get a life for that kind of money?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Cost of a spolier for a 1.4 diesel Corolla = €150

An early morning snigger as you drive past = Priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Jesus lads lay off him will ya?

If he wants to put a spoiler on his car let him put one on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Jesus lads lay off him will ya?

If he wants to put a spoiler on his car let him put one on it.
    Then he should've posted in the Modified Cars forum to avoid a flaming!

Ah yes... Maxxxx Powah!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

I am thinking of getting a spoiler fitted on my car. The car is a 05 Corolla strata hatchback like the one below. I was just wondering how much do you reckon it would cost to get one supplied and fitted by a mechanic before I shop around.

Cheers

That spoiler on that Corolla is standard on all Corolla Strata hatchbacks afaik.

And a body shop is where you need to go to have one fitted, not a mechanic. Expect to pay a few hundred euro for the spoiler, spraying and fitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cheers lads, You saved me €150. It does sound stupid when you think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Cheers lads, You saved me €150. It does sound stupid when you think of it.

I don't think it's stupid. I like the look of subtle spoilers on certain cars. If it will make you happier with your car then go for it.

I added one to my own car recently. Bought it from Ebay and sprayed it myself. You can buy a can of spray paint from certain Autofactors using the paint code so it will exactly match your car. Easy enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Alot of critics who don't even know what the spoiler looks like. I don't see a spoiler on that Corolla posted, but i do see the post saying the car is like the one on cbg.

It would cost roughly 150 for spraying fitting, plus the cost of the spoiler.
    What spoiler are/were ou planning on putting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

When calculating the cost of fitting a spoiler to a car, don't ever forget to include the reduction in the value of the car. If you like it enough to pay at both ends then by all means go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Presume this is the one on the roof, Billy is looking for:

CB4_1288920_3_1096718.jpg

As opposed to the standard one which is more of a small lip:

CB4_1129067_3_548404.jpg

Hardly worth the effort and expense imo.

Anan1 wrote: »
    When calculating the cost of fitting a spoiler to a car, don't ever forget to include the reduction in the value of the car. If you like it enough to pay at both ends then by all means go ahead.

I don't get you lol. A spoiler doesn't devalue a car(completely depdant on the spoiler of course.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Here's a free one.
    A spoiler on a 1.4 Corolla?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Anan1 wrote: »

The spoiler the OP is looking at is hardly a 'surf board' as i like to call them! I dont think a spoiler like that would devalue a car, in actual fact it would be a plus point to a possible buyer IMO. Its not like its been kitted out with neon under lights and a cherry bomb back box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Folks,

Cheers

with all that 140 bhp.... 17 inch triple deck is surely required...

FWD's have no traction at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »
    with all that 140 bhp....

Try 89 bhp :D

I reckon if the OP likes the look of it, then go for it, I'd be budgeting around 400 for the job though. as long as he uses the proper TTE spoiler or one that doesn't look ridiculous, then I can't see it devaluing the car.

:confused:

colm_mcm wrote: »

I reckon if the OP likes the look of it, then go for it, I'd be budgeting around 400 for the job though. as long as he uses the proper TTE spoiler or one that doesn't look ridiculous, then I can't see it devaluing the car.

I thought it was common practice to ignore certain posts:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

with all that 140 bhp.... 17 inch triple deck is surely required...

Eh... Ok. Please don't post about topics that you are completely ignorant of. All the false and misleading (technical, mechanical and legal) advice you give right across all motors forums is going to lead to someone breaking something, crashing or just doing something stupid. Who'll get the blame? Boards.ie

I think that spoiler would look very good (OEM) on your Corolla. Go for it OP.

(Mods: This is not intended as a personal attack. I'm fed up of people posting rubbish in the Motors forum as I'm sure a lot of members are too.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Folks,

Cheers

the True cost of your spoiler...

your dignity

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/38/33494238.html
    colm_mcm wrote: »

hmmm thought it would of been a luna model...

as for the fwd comment, with the size of the spoilers and the power out put you'd swear they all use V8-tec... ( like vtec... but 4 more cylinders )

That add wrote:
    just beeen delivered ,by my girl
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

:rolleyes:
    Looks like he can barely see over the steering wheel o.O

I would have thought the rear end of a corolla would be the last to let go.

Advertisement