Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best Commuter Bike

• 16-01-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I live in Offaly and with the current job market have found myself back in Dublin working again. Not so bad with so many people out of work at the minute.

I'm looking at commuting and currently the distance is 100km each way. I live 20min from the Galway Dublin Motor way and need to get right into the city centre beside Connolly Station.

In an attempt to reduce the amount of time spent either waiting in the car or on a Train/Bus Im seriously looking at buying another motorbike. I have had quiet a few in my time. But in my early days I was not interested in a commuter/Tourer bike. If it wasnt fast then I wasnt interested... How times have changed.

I have been looking at 2 Honda's - Pan European and the Deauville also found a BMW F650 CS which I quiet liked. Anyway I need advice from those who have experience in this type of commuting.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Mick
    Biffo And Proud

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

go with honda for that sort of mileage - pan sounds perfect tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

Hi Mick,

I reckon the Pan may be a bit wide (and heavy) when it comes to filtering in the city centre. Come to think of it, I don't see many Pans on the commute into Dublin 2 where I work. From what I can see, the Deauville and the BMW seem to be fairly popular.

Reliability wise, the Deauville seems to be fairly bullet-proof. Don't really know about BMW.

Another option might be the Bandit GT. It has a > 1 litre engine (1250cc, I think) and is faired. Plus it's not too wide so filtering shouldn't be a problem.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Would you look at a BMW r1200GS.... they are a tall bike but are very manoeverable and a great all rounder.
    With regard to the pan in city center traffic , TBH i dont see it as a problem. The pan is not much wider than the deauville and the guards use both.
    Also worth your consideration is the yamaha FJR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd go with the Deauville - better fuel consumption I think.

The fuel pump tends to go at about 30k from what I have read but is easy to replace for about €70 (again I read this elsewhere).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I've got a Suzuki Vstrom DL650 myself and commute on it pretty much every day - it's a comfortable bike, easy to filter through Dublin traffic and has been very reliable. It would be pretty different to the bikes you're considering but the higher riding position is great in traffic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have been commuting from meath to dublin southside for over 20 years and have had over 30 bikes in that time from Honda 50's to GSXR750's to BMW tourers. I think the best allrounder is probably the Honda CBR600, up to and including the 1998 model, I have the '99 F4 and its just a little too sporty for commutes. I also have a BMW R1150RT and take it from me although it is a seriously comfortable bike it is way over the top for commuting, it is similar to the Pan Euro in size. I had a BMW F650 (04 model) a couple of years ago, that was a great commuter but let down by a plank of a seat. The Honda VFR750 or VFR800 would be a good choice too. Have a look at a Yamaha Fazer 600 or the 1000 if the insurance is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

get a classic pan, 1990 to 1993 , few on donedeal.ie. bullet proof engines, comfy, economical 50mpg, sturdy, handle well in wet non abs and abs, the 650 deauville is great in the city but on open road it struggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

If you can afford the pan, go for it, the're very reliable and they also hold their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MKEOGHAN

Thanks for all the advice its great to get what people really think of these bikes. macnab What was the best bike you found for the wet weather. Lets be honest we really go a few days before a down pour. As most of my travel will be on the motor way their is nowhere to hide....

Thanks again
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Hiya, you should try out a Fazer 600, an 03 or 04 model, fast when it needs to be, docile in town, handles very well and cheap to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I often do a 160km round trip on either my KLe 500 or a transalp 600 both great for that type of distance. I got the KLE new in 04, I have gone round the clock on it and have had few problems. Both bike have a nice hight for commuting as well as enough power to get you away from those pr!cks you meet on the road.

MKEOGHAN wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice its great to get what people really think of these bikes. macnab What was the best bike you found for the wet weather. Lets be honest we really go a few days before a down pour. As most of my travel will be on the motor way their is nowhere to hide....

Thanks again
    Mick

The best wet weather bike by far is the R1150RT, I didnt realise how good it was till i rode a CG125 for a few months during the summer. The CG has no weather protection what so ever. When you are doing any speed at all on a tourer the wind movement created by the front fairing will keep the rain off your body. The trials type bikes are a bit naked on the lower part of the bike so your boots and shins will get wet, also they are very "sit up and beg" in seating position so if the fairing/screen isnt big then you will take a lot of wind and rain on the chest and helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭rameire

I do 150km a day from athy to leopardstown and back, use the new deauville 700, great bike, great commute and great to filter, also nice comfy ride and exceleration, there is great protection from the screen which is adjustable, you would need extra hand protection, i have bar muffs, wind defractors and heated grips and even during the -7 degree weather 2 weeks ago, was very comfy and not too cold.
    its great on the fuel consumption about 21km per litre.

fabio, are you sure the fuel pump goes after 30k, would that be every fuel pump cause that would be 1 pump a year for me.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Read it either on IrishBikerForum.com or Biker.ie so have a quick search there...

I think it was something that used to happen on the old ones, probably sortable under warranty at the time. I'd say it's not an issue with the new one.

How does it ride? I've heard it's a dull one to ride but I'd love to own one...they just seem so so competent at everything.

its a comfy bike, nothing wooo hooo, but realiable,
    left it for 2 weeks without touching and started straight away.
    the only thing i think it needs is a 6th gear.
    im constantly wanting to change up from fifth.

Ever taken her for a proper tour around the place at all? Would love to do that myself!

not yet only have it 6 months, prob go to france some summer with a mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

Surprised nobody mentioned a VFR. Maybe a bit pricey.

Surprised nobody mentioned a VFR. Maybe a bit pricey.

I did already (post #7)

rameire wrote: »
    not yet only have it 6 months, prob go to france some summer with a mate.

Class! bring back pictures! Now I better stop my hijacking of the thread...

The VFR would be fairly pricey I'd say.If you're used to bikes then get yourself a Pan-European or an FJR (or is that FYR?....hmmm...the Yamaha tourer anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 MKEOGHAN

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice. After doing my research and looking at endless options I am going to go with a BMW1150RT. It's shelter from the elements is unsurpassed.

Thanks again
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MKEOGHAN wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice. After doing my research and looking at endless options I am going to go with a BMW1150RT. It's shelter from the elements is unsurpassed.

Thanks again
    Mick

It sure is. Had a few. Great mile-munchers. Annoying around town, though (tall first gear).

Very, very good value to be had in them right now, here, a lot on the market.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I have my RT up for sale on Adverts.ie, its worth a look. I am as they say "a motivated seller" (I want a sports bike) so willing to haggle. I bought a BMW M5 last year and find I now use the bike less and less so a commuter type bike is not my thing any more.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=81065&cat=47

Best of luck with it fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭beanhead

get a shaft drive unless you like getting your hands dirty every weekend adjusting the chain, even with a chain oiler, you will need to adjust every week at that distance. soomething like macnab's bike would keep the weather off you & keep you in a proper upright seating position - comfort is major consideration if you're doing winter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Thanks again
    Mick

BMW have mad maintenance prices so you might want to consider this with your high mileage. Just ring up Maddocks and ask how much for a regular service and you will be lucky to come < €400. Lovely bikes though..
    I do an 80 km on the Deauville NT700 and cost-wise, its fine. The story about the fuel pump is for the older model which was replaced 3 years ago and doesn't apply to the NT700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Hi Folks,

Didnt want to start a new thread so found this one.
    over the next few months I will be moving up to Dundalk from Dublin, but still working here. I am anow thinking i will get bike for the commute.
    Have driven bikes a bit a good few years ago, but on a very very small scale and will have to do the IBT etc etc

I know there are some recommendations on this thread, but it is 5 years old. So, I am wondering what people feel is a good commute bike for a novice. Looking to keep the budget as close as possible to 2k.
    Would be doing some weekend spins, but the main function is up and down the M1 Monday to Friday, so safety, comfort and fuel consumption are the main boxes to tick i suppose. Will also want some luggage space for the tin of fruit and shoes

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

seeing as it is 5 years old, probably best if you did start a new thread..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

done :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement