Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CPR For Fiat Panda!

Options
  • 16-01-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

To the point-took the girlfriends 04 panda for nct on tuesday morning.Passed no problem.Drove it home grand.went to collect her from work in it that evening and nothing..wouldnt start..not even a cough?
    All the lights and whistles seem fine.
    Is there anything that could have happened in the test?
    Very ironic to pass nct and then breakdown i know!
    Any suggestions would be great as she thinks i killed it!
    Only helpful info please...no slagging the Panda thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it even turning over when you turn the ignition?

I've seen one where a battery terminal was loose and got knocked off; it could have been loosened during the test and came off after you got home. The terminals aren't the best design and don't tighten very well.

If the terminals are OK, you could try a jump start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

I'm not one to subscribe to the whole "It broke down because its a Fiat" thing, any car can break down. However my experience of fiats is that the electrics can give alot of trouble.

I dont think its a batter terminal if you say all the lights etc. are working though. I would say its something more serious

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

not turning over at all..jump start might have to be arranged as its been few days now..but wud like to have an explanation for her (only im not very mechanically minded!).thanks though.

I'm not one to subscribe to the whole "It broke down because its a Fiat" thing, any car can break down. However my experience of fiats is that the electrics can give alot of trouble.

I dont think its a batter terminal if you say all the lights etc. are working though. I would say its something more serious

Uh oh...she wont lke that..she bought it from a garage in sep last..
    Its 04 with 30k miles.
    This is not making a nice friday night situation for me!:)
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Are the dash lights flickering or the car making a clicking noise when you turn the key?, If so its probably battery related and a jump start will get it going, if its not doing anything it could be the starter motor and it still won't start with jump leads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

Alicano wrote: »
    Uh oh...she wont lke that..she bought it from a garage in sep last..
    Its 04 with 30k miles.
    This is not making a nice friday night situation for me!:)
    thanks.

As I said, any car can break down, I'm sure there are people that forked out large money for toyotas only to be let down aswell.

The Panda isn't a traditional Fiat problems wise - the biggest issues are rusting exhausts and sump covers and failing PAS motors.

OP - definately check the battery and its connections visually and then jump her if it doesn't start. If the battery is fully drained you won't get any lights on the dash at all - ditto if its disconnected.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Are the dash lights flickering or the car making a clicking noise when you turn the key?, If so its probably battery related and a jump start will get it going, if its not doing anything it could be the starter motor and it still won't start with jump leads.

Yeah when i turn the key it makes a rapid clicking noise..thats about all that happens!
    Jump start it is...will this be an ongoing problem though?
    Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's impossible to leave the lights on by accident on a Panda, so I'm guessing you need a new battery. time will tell, jump start it and see what happens in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Alicano wrote: »
    Yeah when i turn the key it makes a rapid clicking noise..thats about all that happens!
    Jump start it is...will this be an ongoing problem though?
    Nice one.
    As colm says, jump start it and see how things go, if it happens again replace the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If the battery is the original one, then it is reasonable for it to be reaching the end of its life now (especially in the recent colder weather). This is especially true if the car has been used for lots of short journeys (likely with a car like a Panda).

Type 17 wrote: »
    If the battery is the original one, then it is reasonable for it to be reaching the end of its life now (especially in the recent colder weather). This is especially true if the car has been used for lots of short journeys (likely with a car like a Panda).

I've empty the entire tank on mine in one run (one engine start) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

MYOB wrote: »
    I've emptied the entire tank on mine in one run (one engine start) ;)

There are always exceptions to every rule :)

Advertisement